Trump is the President

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few posts of the last 24hrs have been deleted. I don't have time to go over the previous 96 pages.  If it's not adding value to the thread, discussing politics in a respectful manner towards th

The sandbox is for non Tri related topics.  It’s not a place for people to carry on like idiots. 

If the last few months have taught me anything it’s that when you peel back the thin veneer the US is a mighty screwed up place on oh so many fronts.   

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

It amazes me just how slow their process is. Maybe it was devised by the news channels? 😆

The other issue I think is that because they dont seem to have have the equivalent of our electoral commission, so there doesnt seem to be an official "one stop shop" for results so you are left to rely on news sites and they have been all over the place at various times. 

• Like 1

The GOP expect a decent chuck of the remaining 12% of votes in Arizona to flow to Trump given that they are from largely conservative counties.  There are about 340,000 votes left to count, and Trump is about 68,000 behind after closing the gap by about 12,000 last night 

Based on lead vs votes remaining to be counted, Trump has a better chance of taking back Arizona than Biden has of taking Georgia 

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

The other issue I think is that because they dont seem to have have the equivalent of our electoral commission, so there doesnt seem to be an official "one stop shop" for results so you are left to rely on news sites and they have been all over the place at various times. 

I've followed my share of Australian elections closely and it often takes many days to finish counting here. So not sure it is that different.

Yeah, it's weird the one stop shop over there is the associated Press lol. And that each state has different rules on how to vote.

Edited by dazaau

Because I like numbers

There are approx 44,00 votes left in Georgia - Gap is currently approx 12,800, Biden needs to win 65% of the remaining votes to over take Trump

Since yesterday Biden has won about 72% of the votes in Georgia

In Nevada 123,000 votes left trump need 55% of remaining votes - won 43% of votes since yesterday

Arizona - Approx 415,000 left (SMH 6:15am) Gap 68,000 Trump needs to win 59% of remaining vote - Since yesterday he has won 59%

So after that I've got no idea

Can't find number of votes remaining for North Carolina or Pennsylvania 

7 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I've followed my share of Australian elections closely and it often takes many days to finish counting here. So not sure it is that different.

Yeah, it can mostly due to preferential voting. I love how Australia claims to have a multi-party system, but when you look at 90%, does not. Most people end up voting for Kang or Kodos anyway.

Simpsons_2Party.jpg.428e1ced289bafc20eb1dd46d15d0005.jpg

38 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The GOP expect a decent chuck of the remaining 12% of votes in Arizona to flow to Trump given that they are from largely conservative counties.  There are about 340,000 votes left to count, and Trump is about 68,000 behind after closing the gap by about 12,000 last night 

Based on lead vs votes remaining to be counted, Trump has a better chance of taking back Arizona than Biden has of taking Georgia 

If Arnon Mishkin from Fox news( who lives in Arizona) has called Arizona for the Democrats, then I'll take his word for it.:thumbup:. His reputation is held very highly. The amount of back lash from the GOP he's copped and still stands by his call.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

I must say it is an odd arrangement they have for observers over there. Here you can stand next to the officials and see exactly what is being counted and if you see an error can speak up. PA lets you stand 20 feet away. That's not very useful :lol:. Some states use machines anyway. Anywho. the Donald has gone full crazy on twitter. Doesn't like losing does he. 

Donald should brush up on recent republican concession speeches, to figure out how it works: 

Spoiler, he won't like it and won't do it.

Edited by dazaau
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If Arnon Mishkin from Fox news( who lives in Arizona) has called Arizona for the Democrats, then I'll take his word for it.:thumbup:. His reputation is held very highly. The amount of back lash from the GOP he's copped and still stands by his call.

Time will tell.

What I don't understand is the whole calling thing-if its close why not just wait for all the votes are counted? What difference does it make? Similarly I don't understand why the republicans would care either way-it wont affect the count, or am I missing something?

• Like 1
On 05/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, roxii said:

Ill just take this moment to reflect and say:

I love Australia

I love Medicare

I love our gun laws

I love our voting system

and today I hate our politicians just a little less. 

...and I love our amazing, hard fought,  control of covid cases while the rest of the world goes crazy (again).

And can I throw Dusty Martin, and the Richmond tigers in there somewhere? :).

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, more said:

What I don't understand is the whole calling thing-if its close why not just wait for all the votes are counted? What difference does it make? Similarly I don't understand why the republicans would care either way-it wont affect the count, or am I missing something?

You're right. The safest way would be to wait till all the votes have been counted and then US Electoral commission makes an official statement as to who has won.

But because the US process is like having 50 individual federal elections all at once, with each State having vastly different systems, it would just take too long. ( eg the final results for California take almost 3 weeks).

So to relieve the anxiety of a nation ( and the entire world in this year's case), the networks employ data statisticians.

Is there a margin for error? Sure. Look at how much of a failure the pollsters have been.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You're right. The safest way would be to wait till all the votes have been counted and then US Electoral commission makes an official statement as to who has won.

But because the US process is like having 50 individual federal elections all at once, with each State having vastly different systems, it would just take too long. ( eg the final results for California take almost 3 weeks).

So to relieve the anxiety of a nation ( and the entire world in this year's case), the networks employ data statisticians.

Is there a margin for error? Sure. Look at how much of a failure the pollsters have been.

So is the idea also to influence one of the parties to concede, and that's why the GOP are upset? 

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

I must say it is an odd arrangement they have for observers over there. Here you can stand next to the officials and see exactly what is being counted and if you see an error can speak up. PA lets you stand 20 feet away. That's not very useful :lol:. Some states use machines anyway. Anywho. the Donald has gone full crazy on twitter. Doesn't like losing does he. 

Donald should brush up on recent republican concession speeches, to figure out how it works: 

Spoiler, he won't like it and won't do it.

Have you got one from Al Gore?

According to the Democrats, the last legitimately elected Republican President was HW back in 1988.  Democrats spent the last four years trying to overturn 2016, and Biden was told by Hillary Clinton not to condede "under any circumstances"

So spare me the pearl clutching about Trump not conceding while ther are still four states undeclared and a fifth potentially in doubt 

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, more said:

So is the idea also to influence one of the parties to concede, and that's why the GOP are upset? 

Concessions in November are also meaningless. The actual election of the President won't happen until December when the electoral college votes

Even North Carolina have their shit together by then

Why do people keep saying that Biden is senile and has dementia?  I haven't seen anything that displays either of these traits.  Yes, I think he is too old to take office ( as is Trump, as was Regan etc), but why the senile / dementia comments?

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Concessions in November are also meaningless. The actual election of the President won't happen until December when the electoral college votes

Even North Carolina have their shit together by then

I thought the deadline was jan 20th?  
or is that him if loses, has to have the removalist truck at the White House?

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I thought the deadline was jan 20th?  
or is that him if loses, has to have the removalist truck at the White House?

Jan 20th is inauguration day

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Have you got one from Al Gore?

According to the Democrats, the last legitimately elected Republican President was HW back in 1988.  Democrats spent the last four years trying to overturn 2016, and Biden was told by Hillary Clinton not to condede "under any circumstances"

So spare me the pearl clutching about Trump not conceding while ther are still four states undeclared and a fifth potentially in doubt 

I was focussing on republicans. As technically, that is what Trump is. Despite the fact he often does not act like one. 

I don't think he should concede. I think he should shut up and work with his speech writers on two eloquent speeches that unite the nation. Speech A if he wins, and Speech B if he loses.

Of course that would be responsible. So yeah, nah. 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I was focussing on republicans. As technically, that is what Trump is. 

I don't think he should concede. I think he should shut up and work with his speech writers on two eloquent speeches that unite the nation. Speech A if he wins, and Speech B if he loses.

Of course that would be responsible. So yeah, nah. 

Trump's independence day speech was all about the founding principles of equality for all and how those principles overcame historic injustices such as slavery

The media called it "dark and divisive" 

So let's not bullshit each other and pretend speech A would be received any differently than speech B

Edited by IronJimbo
Just now, IronJimbo said:

Trump's independence day speech was all about the founding principles of equality for all and how those principles overcame historic injustices such as slavery

The media called it "dark and divisive" 

So let's not bullshit each other and pretend sleech A would be received any differently than speech B

don't care about perception of the media. You don't need the media to interpret Trumps tweeting. 

FRAUD

STOP THE COUNT

CHEATED

show us some evidence or shut up Donald. 

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Of course you don't

They're on your side

Ha. right. 

If you mean the left. You really, really, got the wrong guy. I can produce party membership if that's your requirement?

If you mean not on Trumps side, sure. But it is VERY hard to be. Even you are performing some impressive deflection and gymnastics to try and keep it up, and you are very good at it - but deep down you know it is hard. As much as I don't like the ideology of the other side it is very hard to look past the man that is Trump and his tantrums, incoherent sentences, gaffs and baiting. All driven by what appears to be deep seeded selfishness. Let us recall the primaries pre-2016. It is not like house or senate republicans were pleased about him!

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

So IJ, pray do explain to us how he has easily won the election?  Where is the fraud?  How was he cheated?  Why they should stop the count?

There are reports from all over the country of dodgy goings-on

One example from Michigan where a historically republican county reported a bunch of votes heavily favouring Biden.  There's a reason Democrats are saying 'count every vote' while Republicans are saying 'count every legal vote'

Election malfeasance involving Democrats stretches from recent prosecutions in Pennsylvania and New Jersey all the way back to FDR and LBJ joking anout it in the 1940s...

Gee if there is a big swing in an Aussie electorate our first assumption is that the candidate/ party is a dud.

In the US it must be voter fraud.   :huh: 

• Like 1

The sad/crazy thing is when you read and find out many of the nutjob conspiracy theories about the CIA were actually true then it makes it hard to instantly dismiss anything that gets thrown up. I have often wondered if Trump made some powerful enemies by pulling back the U.S military's involvements-would have cost the arms dealers hundreds of millions of dollars..

https://www.readersdigest.com.au/true-stories-lifestyle/12-crazy-conspiracy-theories-actually-turned-out-be-true

39 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Ha. right. 

If you mean the left. You really, really, got the wrong guy. I can produce party membership if that's your requirement?

If you mean not on Trumps side, sure. But it is VERY hard to be. Even you are performing some impressive deflection and gymnastics to try and keep it up, and you are very good at it - but deep down you know it is hard. As much as I don't like the ideology of the other side it is very hard to look past the man that is Trump and his tantrums, incoherent sentences, gaffs and baiting. All driven by what appears to be deep seeded selfishness. Let us recall the primaries pre-2016. It is not like house or senate republicans were pleased about him!

Classy response. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

There are reports from all over the country of dodgy goings-on

One example from Michigan where a historically republican county reported a bunch of votes heavily favouring Biden.  There's a reason Democrats are saying 'count every vote' while Republicans are saying 'count every legal vote'

Election malfeasance involving Democrats stretches from recent prosecutions in Pennsylvania and New Jersey all the way back to FDR and LBJ joking anout it in the 1940s...

Reports, unconfirmed and unsubstantiated

Your Michigan example just shows a swing, or a bunch of votes from a city within Michigan (cities tend to vote more to the left that countryside)

Em, what "election malfeasance" are you referring to?  And I believe if you want to talk about this type of thing, I believe it is more republicans that try to suppress the vote...

56 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Reports, unconfirmed and unsubstantiated

Your Michigan example just shows a swing, or a bunch of votes from a city within Michigan (cities tend to vote more to the left that countryside)

Em, what "election malfeasance" are you referring to?  And I believe if you want to talk about this type of thing, I believe it is more republicans that try to suppress the vote...

Republican observers have been prevented from overseeing the count as there are allowed to do under law

The Republicans went to court to have this right enforced, and won

The Democrats are appealing this decision 

Why?

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Sort of starting to sound like the spilt rich kid who was the bully at school, who when he finally gets belted runs to the principal to dob! 

Yep, reckon he is a big sook.

19 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Republican observers have been prevented from overseeing the count as there are allowed to do under law

Actually it's been crickets from the GOP ( where is Mitch McConnell, Lindsay Graham et al )?

Trump's lawyers are the one's going to Court. The Republican Party itself is distancing themselves from him.

Eric has even set up a phone-in line for people to call to "report" instances of fraud. Cause they don't have any evidence of their own.

There is no evidence of what The Don is calling "ILLEGAL VOTES"

Oh, and btw. How come Trump is happy to accept votes "found" in his favour in Arizona to bring the count closer, but reject them in Georgia, Pennsylvania and Nevada.

• Like 1
Just now, Dave T said:

Actually it's been crickets from the GOP ( where is Mitch McConnell, Lindsay Graham et al )?

Trump's lawyers are the one's going to Court. The Republican Party itself is distancing themselves from him.( Even Eric tweeted, "Where is the GOP...our voters will not forget" )

Eric has even set up a phone-in line for people to call to "report" instances of fraud. Cause they don't have any evidence of their own.

There is no evidence of what The Don is calling "ILLEGAL VOTES"

Oh, and btw. How come Trump is happy to accept votes "found" in his favour in Arizona to bring the count closer, but reject them in Georgia, Pennsylvania and Nevada.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz are talking to Sean Hannity about it as we speak... 

• Like 1

Another myth appears to have been debunked, with the supposedly white supremacist President Trump improving his vote share among every demographic but one - white males

It seems the Democrats are still overwhelmingly favoured by dead people though 

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Another myth appears to have been debunked, with the supposedly white supremacist President Trump improving his vote share among every demographic but one - white males

It seems the Democrats are still overwhelmingly favoured by dead people though 

The poll found that 61% of white men backed Trump’s bid for re-election, down 3 points from 2016.

Not a huge drop really.

Please provide evidence of that absolute load of crap. You are starting to sound a lot like someone we know.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Please provide evidence of that absolute load of crap. You are starting to sound a lot like someone we know.

50 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The Democrats are appealing this decision 

Why?

That is taken directly from Trump's speech today.  Has anyone ever seen DT and IJ in the same room?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Mitch McConnell spoke yesterday, but only about winning Kentucky. He will work with whoever he is given on the Republican side based on what I have heard.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The poll found that 61% of white men backed Trump’s bid for re-election, down 3 points from 2016.

Not a huge drop really.

If even CNN can admit it happens, maybe you could too

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/30/us/broward-county-dead-people-register-to-vote/index.html

I suspect most Republicans (sensible centre ones) will not be unhappy with the election results. They still control the Senate and they already have got their people voted onto the Supreme Court. They will now get rid of Trump and can move on to a new generation. The problem is when we get to the next Primaries who will get their nomination? Will one of the Trump children step up or will they return to Reality TV?

• Like 3