Trump is the President

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

voter turn out where you need them is the decisive factor

Well judging by the lines for Trump rally's I think he will do quite well in that case.

It still amazes me people line up to hear a politician speak...imagine lining up to hear Scomo or the other guy talk...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sandbox is for non Tri related topics.  It’s not a place for people to carry on like idiots. 

If the last few months have taught me anything it’s that when you peel back the thin veneer the US is a mighty screwed up place on oh so many fronts.   

A few posts of the last 24hrs have been deleted. I don't have time to go over the previous 96 pages.  If it's not adding value to the thread, discussing politics in a respectful manner towards th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Trump won in 16 as he got people to turn out where he needed them to, so did Obama in both elections. I think Romney (12) had a bigger popular vote than Trump.

Clinton did not get people to turn out where needed and seemed to be so confident that she thought maybe did not need to.

Biden is playing the I'm not Don hand, which makes sense in the current landscape. Byt taking your and others points, the UK narrative around Brexit and Boris would have you believe he was deeply unpopular and he got a landslide on the basis of a Brexit that a seemingly elitist opposition opposed.

Correct

Ben Shapiro has a pretty good theory about voter turnout etc.  Basically elections are a referendum on one of the candidates, and that candidate usually loses

Last year's federal election was a referendum on Bill Shorten 

Hillary thought 2016 was a referendum on Trump, but it was a referendum on her. And since she is a corrupt old shrew who is about as popular as a case of crabs at an orgy, nobody turned up for her

Biden's best chance is to hide in his basement and make 2020 about Trump, which as the DNC showed is clearly the tactic they are following. Tomorrow's debate is critical though - if Trump gets under his skin and Biden challenges him to a push up contest, he's f*cked

• Haha 1

I just can't fathom that Biden is the one they think will have the best chance against Trump!!  I mean, he might be fine, and he's been vice before hasn't he?  But still, it just feels like the worst options they have are running for pres.

I just can't fathom that Biden is the one they think will have the best chance against Trump!!  I mean, he might be fine, and he's been vice before hasn't he?  But still, it just feels like the worst options they have are running for pres.

Exactly what I've been saying! They are showing contempt for the public if Biden is the absolute very best candidate they have to put forward to run their country. I have nothing against the guy and from I have seen of him seems a decent enough person, but he is just far to old/mentally not up for the task (given some 77 year olds are still sharp as a tack..).

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, more said:

Exactly what I've been saying! They are showing contempt for the public if Biden is the absolute very best candidate they have to put forward to run their country. I have nothing against the guy and from I have seen of him seems a decent enough person, but he is just far to old/mentally not up for the task (given some 77 year olds are still sharp as a tack..).

The funny thing is that people freaked out because Reagan was 73 at the end of his first term

Biden will be 82 (umless Kamala can get him bumped off)

What are you guys talking about. Worldwide anticipation for the debate is high as the world gets a chance to witness the US' two greatest leaders battling it out to decide who will lead the greatest nation on earth. :clap::clapping::tank:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The funny thing is that people freaked out because Reagan was 73 at the end of his first term

Biden will be 82 (umless Kamala can get him bumped off)

No matter who wins the election, the US will be electing the oldest President in their history

8 hours ago, more said:

O.k, put bets on Republicans winning Nevada at $3.25, Trump to win any state not won in 2016 at $2.25, Trump to win but lose popular vote $$2.88, and Trump to win by further than 2016 $2.38

I thought you would have been on to this

855BEFE9-BE18-4A4A-8CD5-A6A1A96503E0.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, more said:

Yeah I was looking at it but the winner is decided by CNN lol, well on the betting site I was looking at anyway 

CNN declared Biden the winner last Wednesday... 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, fiftyplus said:

Anyone watching the debate? Trump in full bully mode and not even letting the moderator ask his questions.

It's embarrassing from the both of them.......

Maybe he had longer hair and was wearing a moo moo when he attended Woodstock, you know, when he was 50 😀

Heard last night that he's apparently had plenty of debate experience.  

4 minutes ago, Ayto said:

I agree, and also scary.

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

moderator is a bit weak though....

I feel for him, probably the toughest debate he’s had to moderate.

5 minutes ago, more said:

C'mon man...

What?

8 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Yep, its like Grandpa Simpson arguing with himself. 

Moderator needs to turn the mics off when they are not to speak. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, fiftyplus said:

Anyone watching the debate? Trump in full bully mode and not even letting the moderator ask his questions.

Not a good look.  Makes him look desperate

Biden has largely kept his cool so far, which means he's winning 

It's embarrassing watching the POTUS be so juvenile in his behavior and general politeness, humanity and courtesy. 

he is just saying random what might be lies, and no way to fact check or say he's just full of shit. 

What a joke. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Turts said:

It's embarrassing watching the POTUS be so juvenile in his behavior and general politeness, humanity and courtesy. 

he is just saying random what might be lies, and no way to fact check or say he's just full of shit. 

What a joke. 

To be fair they are both full of sh!t, but Biden has come across far more mature, presidential and in control for sure...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prince said:

moderator is a bit weak though....

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Moderator needs to turn the mics off when they are not to speak. 

I didn’t watch but this should be standard in all debates. 

What a disaster.

" That wasn't a  debate, it was mud wrestling "

Think that Biden looked fairly weak and flustered most of the time,  except when he spoke directly down the camera.

But geez Trump just reinforced his reputation as an unshakeable bully, with nothing constructive to say.

Embarrassing for Americans to think one of those guys is going to run the countryfor the next 4 years.

• Like 3

I’ve only seen 15 mins but can’t split them on what I’ve seen. Picking a winner would be a case of who shit me the least as I didn’t see anything impressive from either. The moderator may as well not been there.

Americans have such a different attitude to leadership and politics to us. I think in general we Aussies must be a more polite society than the US. If a potential Aussie PM interjected during a debate,  bullied their opponent, was bad mannered and ignored the moderator like Trump did (and Biden to some extent), he’d be hammered by the voters. I remember Mark Latham was leading the polls then more or less lost the momentum and then the election because of an ugly domineering handshake with Howard. Some Americans though seem to lap that up IMO

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What a disaster.

" That wasn't a  debate, it was mud wrestling "

Think that Biden looked fairly weak and flustered most of the time,  except when he spoke directly down the camera.

But geez Trump just reinforced his reputation as an unshakeable bully, with nothing constructive to say.

Embarrassing for Americans to think one of those guys is going to run the countryfor the next 4 years.

Pretty much how I feel, but the result of the election doesn’t just affect America.

here's the deal. 

Biden really just had to survive this first debate and Trump just had to throw a few punches. No clear winner at all in my book. It also certainly wouldn't get me out to vote which is half the battle. 

15 minutes ago, Prince said:

here's the deal. 

Biden really just had to survive this first debate and Trump just had to throw a few punches. No clear winner at all in my book. It also certainly wouldn't get me out to vote which is half the battle. 

Its a missed opportunity for Trump

As the saying goes, never interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake. Trump's job was to give Biden enough rope to hang himself, but he didn't let it happen because he kept interrupting him

That makes the evening a win for Biden in my book

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

As the saying goes, never interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake. Trump's job was to give Biden enough rope to hang himself, but he didn't let it happen because he kept interrupting him

Trumps gone out to $2.30...it appears the bookies agree..

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yes, i do agree. It will be interesting if Trump can hold back in the remaining debates. He is such a great campaigner though 

28 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

"Here's the deal..." (Lol) Trump is not a conventional politician, so his faithful won't mind that he spent most of his time interrupting. That's what they like about him. He doesn't play by the rules, so he probably won't lose too many votes from that side of the bench. But his advisers would have been throwing rocks at the TV in frustration. His ego and petulance just can't be controlled. 

I'd read there were only 9% of potential voters in the undecided camp, with a further 17% saying they would be prepared to change their vote if presented with a good reason to do so.

I don't think Trump would have won many of them over, despite Biden looking a little wishy-washy.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd read there were only 9% of potential voters in the undecided camp, with a further 17% saying they would be prepared to change their vote if presented with a good reason to do so.

Both camps are full of liars. Every American psephologist will tell you that folk rarely change their vote from election to election. The are only two occasions in modern American history where that actually happened to any degree - 1968 when Southern White democrats flipped to the GOP and 1980 when Reagan picked up a cohort of what came tio be known as ‘Reagan Democrats’.

Whilst there are always some exceptions (as would be expected with 230 million registered voters) basically folk have already made their minds up. Nothing has changed in terms of voting attitudes for about 5 years. No. What determines elections in America is how many from each team of supporters turns up to vote. In recent history the Republicans have have a much more constant and reliable base of voter turnout. Trump has consistently polled in the low 40s, but he can depend on 28% of registered voters turning up. Biden (just like Hillary, Obama, Kerry, Gore, Clinton I) is viewed favourably by around 50% of registered voters. But he may well struggle to get out the vote of much more than the 28% who will reliably vote for the republican ticket (even with someone as odious as Trump at the top of that ticket). Worse, if he fails to win the popular vote by more than 3% then because of the electoral college system he’s in grave risk of losing like Gore and Hillary did.

Tonight was a dumpster fire. Trump is mainly to blame.  On the other hand independents and moderate folk who view Biden favourably have already factored in his relatively poor debating style (nothing much has changed there really since his first run in 1988. Probably because he has a life long speech impediment). I think they’ll be encourage by tonight to turn out to vote or at least mail in a ballot.

• Like 1

I agree that those died in the wool Trump supporters will vote for him no matter what he says or does.  I think he'll end up with a similar popular vote number as last time.  It's the massive number of people who didn't/don't vote that will probably decide this election.  

Unless a lot of democrat voters don't turn up to vote because of covid, cause none of the Trump voters are gains be scared of the common cold.

They were saying earliest that 65mill registered voters have requested a postal vote this year (or whatever it is called in America).  That's more people than voted for Trump last time.

18 minutes ago, goughy said:

They were saying earliest that 65mill registered voters have requested a postal vote this year (or whatever it is called in America).  That's more people than voted for Trump last time.

You can see why trump is freaking out over mail in votes. 

I think folk have adapted to doing things online/remotely over the last 6 months due to covid19 in ways that they weren’t prepared to do in the past. maybe mail voting is the antidote to the low rates of voter turnout in America. If so, not only is Trump and the ticket in trouble In this election, but the republican machine (or at least the brand that has steadily taken over the GOP since Nixon) could be well and truly stuffed going forward. Lucky for them that the Trump tax cuts and embedding 6 conservative SC Justices effectively completes the ‘Republican Project’ that Nixon and his ad-tv man Roger Ailes started 52 years ago. Shame that a once great country has been trashed along the way.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

Trump was singing for his base. They are impervious to true facts.

In other news, one of the most rabid Conservative blowhards - Anne Coulter - said that if Trump didn’t repudiate the white supremacists in the debate she’d vote for Biden. Trump did the opposite.

There are a growing group of disaffected republicans who cant take the shit show anymore. I doubt many will actually vote for Biden. But I’m starting to think the the efforts of The Lincoln Project may be having an effect on registered republicans deciding to not vote in fairly large numbers. A change from 2016.  

• Like 1

After that debate (unmoderated yelling match) I recon most people wouldn’t give a flying f**k if the canceled the next two.

I couldn’t say Biden was clearly the winner, but I can say with certainty that the looser is clearly the American public.

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, AA7 said:

Is that really the best two candidates they can come up with?

I think the way the US presidential system works these are the two best who could afford to run. 

• Like 1