Customs strike action

Hard to have sympathy for these arseholes when they take strike action at the busiest time of year. I've had a parcel sitting in customs for 9 days now. My daughters dance studio has dance concert uniforms stuck in customs and they have now had to shell out 3k to purchase alternatives!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Delays in overseas inbound processing

10 December 2015

Australia Post regretfully advises customers to expect some delivery delays on overseas inbound parcels as a result of industrial action designed to impact Border Force operations in the lead up to Christmas.

Parcels cannot be delivered until they are cleared by Border Force agents. The impacts of the industrial action targeting Border Force will result in some delays to the processing of overseas inbound parcels at our major international inbound processing facility.

We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and assure them we will complete all deliveries as soon as possible.

Edited by Chookman

I have no idea what this dispute is over, I'm sure it's a legitimate gripe, but who is in charge of PR at these unions? Gone are the days when the general public will blame the government for these delays because the workers were left with no option but to strike. People are far more cynical now and see the timing of the action for what it is and it erodes public sympathy for their cause giving the pollies more fuel to take a hard line.

• Like 2

Basically DIBP/ABF staff have not had a payrise in almost two years. And under the proposed new agreement (the initial proposed agreement was voted down by over 90% of staff), a payrise is coupled with removal of allowances. So there is a significant number of staff who, in effect, will actually receive a pay drop as a result. And by the end of the proposed new agreement, they'll be back to the same pay they were on 5 years previously.

And that's the 'new, improved' 2nd version of the agreement.

Hence the strike action... :-)

Sounds like a fair cause. Meanwhile lots of people are being inconvenienced and will blame the union and the staff who could have done this at a time less convenient and not the employer. I acknowledge that taking action at another time would highlight their cause to a much lesser extent but without the background public sympathy will be nil which makes the government "standing up" to the "arrogant" union a popular move and decreases incentive for them to come to the table. Just sayin'...

I've read through the CPSU statement, and it details that "many staff" will lose $8000 from "take-home" pay. Why don't they give us more details? For example, how many will lose 8000, and why? Is this a loss of overtime, or a cut from base salary? Etc. etc.

As a frequent traveler, and someone with international postage at xmas time, I want to know when I'm stuck in a queue, or explaining why presents didn't come, whether to get angry at their selfishness, or sympathise with their hard-done-by-ness.

I've read through the CPSU statement, and it details that "many staff" will lose $8000 from "take-home" pay. Why don't they give us more details? For example, how many will lose 8000, and why? Is this a loss of overtime, or a cut from base salary? Etc. etc.

I believe that the BF were offered an average of 3.4% over 3 years (about the lowest public-service enterprise bargain offer going) and that the govt had taken advantage of the departmental merger to propose stripping ex-Customs officers of some existing entitlements, by renaming/reclassifying their roles.

Thanks xcom. That in turn makes me want to know: what the entitlements are, and what were they for. Has their actual role changed or just the name of the role. If new people join doing the same role, would they get the entitlements? Is this a stripping of entitlements from everyone (all current and future employees) or a stripping from some to level the playing field. Etc. Etc.

I can see that the percentage over the time period is low, and I'll take your word for it being low relative to other areas, but I would like to know more about the cuts, as on the surface it seems very unfair.

I guess nobody knows, but it would be interesting to compare the base salary of this dept against others who get raises allocated from the same pay masters. The percentage might be low, but a percentage of what.

Apologies, just thinking out loud.

I suspect they are striking over similar stuff to what the Australian Services Union Tax Officers' Branch is talking about here:

ww.asutax.asn..au/?p=1631

Presumably they come from a parallel universe (the public sector?) to be such clock watches to work out that 9mins per day is equivalent to the loss of one week of annual leave per year...

How will people know the mail is slow?

Not like they have an existing reputation for service excellence.

On one hand, I understand being upset about losing allowances, but hey, that's life.

I know people in private sector who have been going backwards in salary in real terms for a number of years.

On the other hand, it must suck to get told to tighten your belt by a bunch of clowns who get regular increases above and beyond anyone else in the nation and have non means tested allowances for everything.