Cost of putting in a 25m lap pool?

We looked very seriously into it about 4 years ago (before we discovered the endless pool that we have now)

We couldn't get an in ground one built for under $80k but I reckon it would have blown to $100k easy

I reckon in qld you might get a cheaper deal as there are a lot more pool builders around

Shuffla is building one at port Mac right now, I'm sure he will chime in

Another thing you have to consider is the running cost of it also , 120,000 lts is a lot of water to keep clean and sanitised (and warm. It so much of an issue for you in qld th

Though)

Cheers

Ivp

Ps there is a mob doing a two piece 25 m fibreglass one now which could work out abit cheaper

Edit to add shuffla posted as I did

Edited by ironpo

I do heaps of electrical for a premium pool builder and we talk about it constantly, the problem with it is they need to put an expansion joint in once it gets up over 18-20m. Over such a long skinny run he says it's a nightmare. Other options are hydraulic driven motor to swim against installed in a standard pool is 8k for the unit or a swim spa....... Which your friendly neighborhood electrician will have a field day changing you for all the upgrades needed. The answer I have received constantly for the last 5years is "tie some rope around ya skinny little hips and tie that to the fence" haha.

In short it's a nightmare

Local Pool for me is $5 single entry.

365 Days x $5 Entry = $1825 a Yr

Go for 50 yrs straight = $91250

You can't look at it like that

When you have your own pool you use it a lot more , even if it's for a ten min swim

You wouldn't go to local pool for that

Also what about time and monie spent coming and going to local pool, ours is 100k away so I now work the two hrs I spent travelling on swim days making more money since we built our pool

Do you own a car (or two ) or do you use the bus for the $2 fAre

Cheers

Ivp

The capital expenditure is one thing, the costs to run and maintain it would be the killer. I know it is for our 12.5m saltwater pool.

Depending where you live, I'd certainly consider alternative power options.

The capital expenditure is one thing, the costs to run and maintain it would be the killer. I know it is for our 12.5m saltwater pool.

This is another plus for my endless pool , I'm only maintaining 15,000 lts not 120,00lts

Plus I can use it all year round , not like a lap pool (well down south anyways)

Cheers

Ivp

This is another plus for my endless pool , I'm only maintaining 15,000 lts not 120,00lts

Plus I can use it all year round , not like a lap pool (well down south anyways)

Cheers

Ivp

Not to mention the money you save on togs.

• Like 3

Lap pool? Physio?? $$$$??? Stupid career advice getting me into Finance....

You haven't seen all his articles of here? You do finance, do the sums. How many people read his advice? Then multiple by physio consult fees. Take into account private health rebate.

Fwiw, I think it was ruley good advice getting into finance.

Ruley's on the Sunshine Coast isn't he? Solar is a good option for heating, as well as a major portion of the running costs.

I have an 11m pool. It's no good for laps, just a plaything for the kids. A well designed lap pool is only going to be half the width of mine for most of it's length, so there's not going to be double the water.

And Softy. Ruley's a physio. I'm sure if he & his accountant got together there's be a way to bump most of the expense off of his tax. It would work well into his therapy business.

Of course I can do the sums and not honestly surprised, just being facetious. I'm putting my physio's kids through college, there is definitely some proper coin in it. However id suggest it's my kids not occupation that change my budget from lap pool to plastic kmart variety.

Ruley good advice. Boom tish.

Back on topic - anyone put in one of those swimming jets in an existing pool. Bloody expensive? Actually any good?

Buy a house close to a 50 m pool and buy a season pass - as it costs "nothing" for each visit I have no qualms about dropping in at the end of a 15k run for a 5 min dip etc. Bout the only thing you cant do is skinny in the moon light (well they frown on it) then again there is always the ocean another 2k down the road for that I suppose. Fraser coast council finally saw the light the other year and made season tickets work at both pools so people can swim at HBay or at Mbro centers on single pass (handy as I work across the road from the Mbro pool - and it is a good excuse to make sure I leave by 6pm so as to get my session in).

Oh the memories of being able to SWIM :(

Season pass costs 1/3 the annual cost of chemicals as I recall.

I have built hundreds of pools in the past life - I have no desire to own one now - the only way it could work is if Ruley can incorporate it into his business costs - besides he's got the Pacific at his fingertips - I'd like that :sleepy:

800m walk to Alex beach so that parts ok.

All the 50m around here are in apartment kind of areas.

I wouldn't mind just walking down stairs to start swim training.

Physio $'s are just middle of the road really, it's more just a job that lets you adjust your timetable around, have a bit of flexibility and not be a complete slave.

The endless pool jet things are def an option I'm considering too.

$ argument has a few factors-

Building a house in an ok spot in a beachside suburb- yes it costs dollars to build but in doing these things smartly you create something worth more than the cost of the build and land. Lap pool is potentially a big value add.

Sunny coast means I don't pay $1.5million for an old shit house in a suburb so I can be close to everything I want, but then spend an eternity at work paying for it.

If I'm going to be building a pool anyway, perhaps the cost difference may only be that of a car, so f$ck the car.

I'd be super careful over capitalising at the moment with the house pricing at a peak and interest rates low.

And if things did take a downward spiral I know what I would be cutting out of my life... Those expensive Physio visits ;)

Edited by tri_hard
  • Like 1

I'd be super careful over capitalising at the moment with the house pricing at a peak and interest rates low.

And if things did take a downward spiral I know what I would be cutting out of my life... Those expensive Physio visits ;)

Absolutely. Looking at only 50% LVR give or take a bit, and plenty of room to move.

Shipping containers structurally probably aren't that far off the mark haha.

Based on the cost of how much it's costing me to put in a 6M pool with swim and spare jets, two kinds of heating, automatic underground pool cover, landscaping, glass pool fence, pergola with bar fridge and sparkling water on tap ... I'd say you are looking at $500,000 ...

Sorry for dumb question ... what is an endless pool?

Roxi has a vid of me swimming in mine in the nude as I do everyday

Maybe he could send it too you

Lol

Cheers

Ivp

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 2

Fastlane is the name they use in Australia. The Endless pool is the name they use in the US.

In short its a pool you get in kit form. You can set it up indoors or outdoors. There are may elaborate surrounds.

It's also the only one in Australia which uses a propulsion system ie: a big fan that pushes water upwards so that your essentially swimming in a river current - speed controllable.

All other styles in Australia are swims spa's which uses jets and are nowhere near as good.

• Like 1

Ruley, don't know if you know Justin Grainger(bet you do), but him and BG put a 25 m lap pool in their back yard at Noosa a few years ago. It looks good and definitely would be great to roll out of bed and drop some laps each morning. If your talking to him, it may be good to have a chat about the ins and outs of putting in a pool up that way.

Our house came with the pool when we bought it .

Don't know where you are on the coast exactly but be aware that the Noosa council and sunny coast council charge a pool levy on your rates. The levy is just a money grab as you get sweet FA in return for that levy.

Then there's the biannual pool accreditation program which is another ongoing cost the salesman won't tell you about. It's money well spent as this is great initiative the QLD govt came up with to ensure all pools meet the legislative requirements for pool fencing and safety charts etc. pool ownership isn't cheap.

Mine pictured there would have cost me circa $200k. And I did a shed load of the labour myself. Would have probably cost another $50k if my pool builder did everything.

I did all the block work, helped concrete, all the render internal and external, waterproof, tiling, paving, grouting, and waterfalls.

Pool builder did all the civil works, footings, set out, concrete, all plumbing and electrical, helped with waterfalls, shed, and glass fencing.

It's a massive undertaking and took 5 months to build. Whilst it's a major over capitalization, it's a lifestyle choice that we wanted and could afford. And even though I don't swim anything like I used to, it's there when we want it, and we enjoy it 9 months of the year.

pinkboy

• Like 2

Mine pictured there would have cost me circa $200k. And I did a shed load of the labour myself. Would have probably cost another $50k if my pool builder did everything.

I did all the block work, helped concrete, all the render internal and external, waterproof, tiling, paving, grouting, and waterfalls.

Pool builder did all the civil works, footings, set out, concrete, all plumbing and electrical, helped with waterfalls, shed, and glass fencing.

It's a massive undertaking and took 5 months to build. Whilst it's a major over capitalization, it's a lifestyle choice that we wanted and could afford. And even though I don't swim anything like I used to, it's there when we want it, and we enjoy it 9 months of the year.

pinkboy

Definitely $250K right there - if you contracted out all of the works. More if you had s difficult site and ran into unexpected challenges.

Researching my own plunge pool project I became aware of inground fibreglass options up to at least 20M. Going price = $50k plus all the extras (which would be between another $30K & $60K+ depending on the options you want to add in and the level of unexpected challenges u meet.

How are these pools to swim in as far as backwash off the side walls go? I swam in a 25m pool in a complex I used to live in and it was horrible with all the waves bouncing off the sides of the pool.

Run large diameter lanerope labor down each side will take care of 95% of that

I tried the endless pool in kona which was quite good.

Can't recall the price but it was an above ground pool and wouldn't be the most aesthetic solution but the do sell the pump part and the mirrors.

It was a well refined solution which I would definitely consider.!think it was around $7k US? Mirrors for bottom and a 45deg mirror to see your stroke from front on and upwards.

It didn't have any wash and was great, you can set the speed to your pace per 100m.

Worth a look I think.

• Like 1