Accommodation in Sydney this weekend

5 blokes from Goondiwindi have had a rush of blood and bought tickets to the NRL grandfinal in Sydney on Sunday.

Accommodation appears to be a problem.

Any suggestions??

Even if someone could narrow it down to which area we should be staying would be good.

:lol:

I dont think those words have ever been uttered before.

I had to go to Parramatta for work a couple of years ago. $100 taxi fare each way from the airport and the room was $400 for the night. And it was a shit room. Eating out was a massive culture shock for this little country Qld (previously country SA) boy.

Not in a hurry to get back to Parramatta.

Well that was an experience.

We booked the Novotel at Parramatta on 2 factors - location to the ground and they had 2 rooms.

Parramatta is the biggest shithole ever. I say this with some authority because my local postcode is Boggabilla.

- Firstly we got to the hotel at 1.30pm on Sunday and they couldn't check us in so just went and got changed in the carpark.

- Went to the game which was AWESOME.

- People everywhere and we thought well we'll just catch the train back to Parramatta and have something to eat and a few more beers.

- Went back to the hotel first so we could put our bags in the room and get keys. Had to wait for 20 minutes while 2 girls (who we are assuming were hookers) tried to book a room for just a few hours using cash.

- Couldn't get a drink at the Novotel because they were closing the bar and wouldn't do last drinks for us.

- Went to a succession of place in Parramatta that were either closed, closing or full of people smoking hookah pipes.

- The open 24 hours 7 days a week place we tried was also closing.

- We eventually were told to go to the Parramatta leagues club because they would still be open. That is the most depressing place in the southern hemisphere. It might be open, but the patrons inside are dead and if anyone wants to see why pokies should be banned there is no better example.

- We left there and walked back to the hotel via McDonalds. It was the most disgusting takeaway store I've ever seen. Rubbish piled everywhere, your feet sticking to the floor because of unknown substances, homeless people asleep on tables.

- So we gave up on the night and went to bed.

- Woke up in the morning and went downstairs to see another set of hookers arguing with management and then getting chased down the street by the police.

Got in the car and left Parramatta as quickly as possible and will never ever return.

I love Sydney. The Harbor and the beaches and the hills north to ride but one thing that is weird is the closing hours of places.

Wander into a cafe/restaurant at 9pm and get the old "Sorry the Kitchen is closed"

If the door is open cook food.

For the biggest city in Australia most places operate like a small country town.

I realise it was 10pm on a Sunday night when we were looking for something to eat and drink.

But it wasn't just us looking for somewhere to go. There were groups of people everywhere looking for somewhere that was prepared to stay open just a bit longer.

We had a much better reception at Bingara (pop 1100) at 11.30pm on the previous night.

I realise it was 10pm on a Sunday night when we were looking for something to eat and drink.

But it wasn't just us looking for somewhere to go. There were groups of people everywhere looking for somewhere that was prepared to stay open just a bit longer.

We had a much better reception at Bingara (pop 1100) at 11.30pm on the previous night.

Sunday night. Penalty rates. I suppose any discussion along those lines belongs on the Political thread. In some ways we are still living in the 1950s and that one is not Tony's fault.

What time of night you get back to Your hotel.

I don't have a problem in daylight from morning till late evening when restaurant strip is open.

There were places that had lots of patrons already there that were closing and kicking them out plus all of the others wandering around outside.

But I think it was the general seediness that was really offputting. Things like rubbish everywhere, to the carpet in the hallways of the Novotel needing replacing (or at least cleaning).

Parkside - Let me know when you're next at Croppa. There's a nice ride that goes from Croppa to North Star and then back to Croppa via the Warialda Rd. The President of the CCCC (Croppa Creek Cycling Club) lurks on here and I'm sure would be able to organise a few for the ride.

Thomo is great - Yep all areas do have their issues. As I said, my postcode is Boggabilla so I get to see plenty of issues first hand. I guess we thought that Parramatta is big enough that there would be something more than the Leagues club open on a Sunday night.