Life change needed, moving to northern Sydney? advice needed

We have now been in Sydney 10 years we've always lived in the eastern suburbs since coming to Australia and have enjoyed it. But after a few very difficult years my wife ....and to a certain extent I, think we need a life change. Life has been pretty intense in the last few years.

Originally we started looking at buying a home in the same area as our daughter is very loved and well looked after in her current school and everyone in the school is aware of her condition and story etc. However we are now changing our mind. We are thinking she may actually need a totally different style of schooling something like Montessori style as she struggles with noise in the classroom and in a big class like she is in now needs an extra teacher with her... funding for that will not be here forever. we also realised her attachment to school friends may not be as string as we think at 7 yrs old she seems to love her younger sister more than anyone else.

In addition property in the eastern suburbs is simply overpriced. And unfortunately the people not the friendliest. You get that feeling everyone has this feeling of entitlement and self importance. it just oozes stress.

I also feel my Mrs has had enough of the busy city she wants to move to the country side (back to England that is!!! :shocking: ) not an option for my work so something more bushy here could work.

Work wise my business is in Chatswood and I have realised that I spend over 10 hours every week commuting. granted I ride most days but its a shitty ride with lots of lights and traffic. I also hardly get to spend anytime with the kids in the week.

So we started to look at options of moving to the northern suburbs of Sydney closer to work, better value for money property wise, more peaceful lifestyle and new school for the kids.

What are peoples' experiences with northern suburbs? Which are the nice ones with a country / bush like feel?

What we are looking for:

country like feeling with access to trails and bush walks. (maybe horse riding) kids learning these days.

hopefully an area there is reasonable access to cycling roads and MTB trails. Triathlon?? for me :-)

quiet and friendly neighbourhood where people may actually smile at you when you walk passed them. :smile1:

I also want to be able to get to Chatswood for work easily and not spend half my time commuting.

where we looked so far:

we looked at areas bordering the national parklands like Forrestville which seemed nice but may be still a tad busy.

Terry Hills seemed nice but quite a distance from Chatswood I am not yet sure about traffic.

would be good to hear what peoples thoughts are. This would be a huge change for us but i feels it may be what the family needs. Since returning from OS (after 3 months away) everyone in the household seems a bit gloomy and fed up with what we are doing here and my Mrs appears itching for a big change.

Edited by TrinewB

Toowoomba. After a few years you'll start bitching when you have to drive clear across town (15 min tops) or when you get stuck at a set of lights for two changes during peak hour.

Terrey Hills will give you most of the things your looking for.

Close to trails (lots of options)

Close to National Park (lots of cycling options and I'd say one of the best cycling locations you can get in Sydney)

Close to most things (short drive) yet far enough away in a manner that some would say is a little isolated in a sense.

That's were it gets the feel of being a little bit on the country style feel (although you'll never get that fully unless in the country regions proper of course).

For Horse riding, Duffy's Forest has a lot of horse stable/properties although I don't know what that will mean for for riding lessons or for casual ride opportunities, I've never looked into that.

Commute to Chatswood, Chatswood's not to far however the cycle commute to Chatswood would not be to pleasure I don't think, the best way would probably be to ride to St Ives & Gordon and then back towards Chatswood along the highway or parralel roads. (people do commute (cycle) along the highway in that direction, I can't speak from experience though).

There is a direct bus route from Terrey Hills to Chatswood, which is very handy. The peak hour drive to Chatswood will be on the slow side especially down the southern end of Forest Way and along Warringah rd. Alternate route would be up to St Ives then along Eastern Arterial rd, again is likely to be fairly slow. I think it's around an hour (give or take) for a peak hour drive to Chatswood.

Belrose or Davidson are both not far from Terrey Hills so worth a look as well (and both a little closer to Chatswood but with the same commute albeit a little shorter.

Alternatively, Other areas you could look at are Killarney Heights, Frenches Forest, Forestville, Roseville, East Linfield, East Killara. All pretty close to Chatswood and nice suburban areas. All are close to trails that run into Davidson Park. Although you'll miss out on the easy to get to cycling areas and will be about a 30min ride to Terrey Hills and into the national park. Not so bad unless you want something in close proximity for short convenient rides.

Onto what is called the "old side" of the Pacific Hwy you have West Chatswood, Linfield, Killara, Gordon.

All close to Chatswood.

For trail running or walks etc. they are in close proximity to Lane Cove River Park with lots of trails although not mtb trails, not to sure of mtb trails in the area. For some convenient short road rides you can pop down to Lane Cove River Park for a few good laps on a nice quite road, it's only about 4km in length but nice for those short convenient type rides (nice and shady in summer).

You'd still have to head out to Duffy's Forest area for Horse riding.

For the big rides it's a bit of urban riding in some back streets b until you get to Bobbin Head or Terrey Hills etc.

You've also got St Ives, Turramurra as well which have very close proximity to the national parks for cycling and trail running etc.

Hope that helps a little.

edit:

For Kilarney, Forestville, Frenches Forest area nearby MTB rides are out near Red Hill and down the trails near Wakehurst Parkway (northside) or on the southern side of the Parkway out around Manly Dam and it's surrounds.

Edited by TrevS
  • Like 1

I think Trev is on the money about Terrey Hills and Duffys Forest. It has a rural aspect to it and you could easily feel like you are in the countryside especially as they border on Kuringgai Chase National Park. It might not be the green rolling hills of English countryside but there are hills and it is green enough with some stunning scenery around Akuna Bay and West Head and even over the Hawkesbury River. I lived at Frenchs Forest just up the road. I'd include the suburbs of Davidson and Belrose too, even French Forest.

I know. But the Toowoomba Sydney commute shouldn't be much longer than an outer suburbs to Sydney commute!

you're probably right :smile1:

Terrey Hills will give you most of the things your looking for.

Close to trails (lots of options)

Close to National Park (lots of cycling options and I'd say one of the best cycling locations you can get in Sydney)

Close to most things (short drive) yet far enough away in a manner that some would say is a little isolated in a sense.

That's were it gets the feel of being a little bit on the country style feel (although you'll never get that fully unless in the country regions proper of course).

For Horse riding, Duffy's Forest has a lot of horse stable/properties although I don't know what that will mean for for riding lessons or for casual ride opportunities, I've never looked into that.

Commute to Chatswood, Chatswood's not to far however the cycle commute to Chatswood would not be to pleasure I don't think, the best way would probably be to ride to St Ives & Gordon and then back towards Chatswood along the highway or parralel roads. (people do commute (cycle) along the highway in that direction, I can't speak from experience though).

There is a direct bus route from Terrey Hills to Chatswood, which is very handy. The peak hour drive to Chatswood will be on the slow side especially down the southern end of Forest Way and along Warringah rd. Alternate route would be up to St Ives then along Eastern Arterial rd, again is likely to be fairly slow. I think it's around an hour (give or take) for a peak hour drive to Chatswood.

Belrose or Davidson are both not far from Terrey Hills so worth a look as well (and both a little closer to Chatswood but with the same commute albeit a little shorter.

Alternatively, Other areas you could look at are Killarney Heights, Frenches Forest, Forestville, Roseville, East Linfield, East Killara. All pretty close to Chatswood and nice suburban areas. All are close to trails that run into Davidson Park. Although you'll miss out on the easy to get to cycling areas and will be about a 30min ride to Terrey Hills and into the national park. Not so bad unless you want something in close proximity for short convenient rides.

Onto what is called the "old side" of the Pacific Hwy you have West Chatswood, Linfield, Killara, Gordon.

All close to Chatswood.

For trail running or walks etc. they are in close proximity to Lane Cove River Park with lots of trails although not mtb trails, not to sure of mtb trails in the area. For some convenient short road rides you can pop down to Lane Cove River Park for a few good laps on a nice quite road, it's only about 4km in length but nice for those short convenient type rides (nice and shady in summer).

You'd still have to head out to Duffy's Forest area for Horse riding.

For the big rides it's a bit of urban riding in some back streets b until you get to Bobbin Head or Terrey Hills etc.

You've also got St Ives, Turramurra as well which have very close proximity to the national parks for cycling and trail running etc.

Hope that helps a little.

edit:

For Kilarney, Forestville, Frenches Forest area nearby MTB rides are out near Red Hill and down the trails near Wakehurst Parkway (northside) or on the southern side of the Parkway out around Manly Dam and it's surrounds.

thanks for your detailed reply Trev, its very helpful. bit surprised you think Terry Hills Chatswood is a 1 hr drive thats huge!! I gotta try this as it could be a deal breaker.

what is the Mosquito situation with all these bodies of water in the northern suburbs can you actually enjoy an evening outside or are they bad?

you're probably right :smile1:

thanks for your detailed reply Trev, its very helpful. bit surprised you think Terry Hills Chatswood is a 1 hr drive thats huge!! I gotta try this as it could be a deal breaker.

what is the Mosquito situation with all these bodies of water in the northern suburbs can you actually enjoy an evening outside or are they bad?

Terrey Hills to Chatswood, 1 hour? No way! How did you arrive at that?

It would be at least 45mins in traffic.

I hope you're cashed up cause it ain't cheap up that way.

Check out Ingleside similar feel and a lot cheaper. Also Manly Vale on the dam side.

Edited by Rog

Terrey Hills to Chatswood, 1 hour? No way! How did you arrive at that?

Can't say I've ever noticed any mosquito problem, if there is stagnant water nearby you may get a little more around though. Early evening/dusk is when you may notice any, like most suburbs with bush surrounds and small slow moving creeks & stagnant water.

The 1hr I mentioned from Terrey Hills to Chatswood I was refering to a peak hour drive.

Maybe it's a little quicker, I haven't done it in long while (it didn't used to be that long but there's more traffic these days). If I was to drive it tomorrow I'd allow an hour first up and see how it goes.

A normal free flowing day it would be around 30mins

It's only about 20km but the East end of Forest Way can be a bit slow these days and Warringah rd likewise is slow from Frenches Forest to Chatswood.

I grew up in Terrey Hills, I call it home.

Thanks guys that's very encouraging I will wait till school starts and then try the drives at peak hour a few times.

Manly Vale when I looked was very expensive Rog especially for a 3 bed house more so than Terrey Hills. The budget will be a massive challenge but the family really needs a massive change. Our main challenge is actually raising enough to pay the stamp duty believe it or not!

Lovely place to grow up Trev ! I hope to find kids over there are less material focussed than in the east

Edited by TrinewB

HI TryNewB,

What I heard in your opening remarks was:

- Your daughter - she struggles with noise in the classroom - especially big classes where she needs an extra teach

- Your work - Chatswood

- Property prices going through the roof.

The thing I thought of first was what schools are small and would suit your daughter. Check out Turramurra North (around 200 kids) or the Adventist School near the SANS Hospital on Fox Valley Road, South Turramurra. My only affiliation is to Turramurra North where my two kids went (we live in North Turramurra).

Your Work - From North or South Turramurra is a quick ride down the highway or across to Lane Cove national park and your almost in Chatswood

Property - North and South Turra are a lot cheaper than prices along the north shore train line. And like Trev and others said, West Chatswood, Terrey Hills and Forestville are all good.

If your daughter struggles with noise in the classroom, it may be a hearing thing. Alternatively, hearing may not be a problem but there might be other cognitive issues. Presumably you've had her hearing checked? What about central auditory processing disorder tests?

I tried to send a PM but I couldn't.

If your daughter struggles with noise in the classroom, it may be a hearing thing. Alternatively, hearing may not be a problem but there might be other cognitive issues. Presumably you've had her hearing checked? What about central auditory processing disorder tests?

I tried to send a PM but I couldn't.

Hi TimG thanks for reply my daughter has complicated medical issues since she had a tumor the size of tennis ball removed from her brain last year. She is very sensitive to noise since the op.

The 1hr I mentioned from Terrey Hills to Chatswood I was refering to a peak hour drive.

Maybe it's a little quicker, I haven't done it in long while (it didn't used to be that long but there's more traffic these days). If I was to drive it tomorrow I'd allow an hour first up and see how it goes.

A normal free flowing day it would be around 30mins

It's only about 20km but the East end of Forest Way can be a bit slow these days and Warringah rd likewise is slow from Frenches Forest to Chatswood.

I grew up in Terrey Hills, I call it home.

When I lived at Frenchs Forest it used to take me 45 minutes to drive to the city but I never took Warringah Rd I always went Mona Vale Rd, to St Ives and then Eastern Arterial Rd, Archbold Rd and I was in Chatswood in no time before I jumped across to Eastern Valley Way on Boundary St but that was 10 years ago now. Likewise I never took Wakehurst Pkwy to go to the City via the Spit; just way too congested.

I like Alex's idea, especially if you still have a mortgage, you can then offset interest paid against your income and so if rent from your place covers rent you pay, you end up ahead!

Central Coast.

Houses at half the price of eastern suburbs.

Train from Gosford to Chatswood. Or drive.... Approx an hour or maybe a bit more by car to Chatswood.

Bush walks, beaches, lakes, mountain biking, cycling galore, Tri club, secluded beaches, trails.... Lifestyle you'd never get in Sydney.

Still got all the big stuff - Westfield shopping centre and zero a Fair, couple of big hospitals, lots of decent schools, including private schools.... All the stuff you need.

The commute is a bitch, but I wake up every weekend near the beach, in a place that still feels a bit like a big country town....

My wife is also English .... We went back to the UK for 18 months to give it a go at the end of 2013..moved back last Christmas. Every day for the past 6 months we've had coffee by the beach and had an early morning dip or a dig in the sand with our 18 month old and wonder why the hell we thought we might like the UK again.....

Close enough to Sydney so you can pop down for the day if you want (to go to the cricket, or a concert, or access the airport, or whatever).... But far enough away to feel that you don't live in the city.

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

Perhaps consider renting for 6-12 months first, give yourselves a chance to be sure about the area before committing. Rent out current home to offset the costy.

Well unfortunately we are renting ? and have been for ten years. It's very difficult to buy property in this country only now are we getting to a position where can consider it. But we could rent for a while to c if the change suits us. I have always been a city boy and will miss my creature comforts but the Mrs craves the country!

When I lived at Frenchs Forest it used to take me 45 minutes to drive to the city but I never took Warringah Rd I always went Mona Vale Rd, to St Ives and then Eastern Arterial Rd, Archbold Rd and I was in Chatswood in no time before I jumped across to Eastern Valley Way on Boundary St but that was 10 years ago now. Likewise I never took Wakehurst Pkwy to go to the City via the Spit; just way too congested.

Sounds encouraging I gotta try the drive!