Fat Bike Information for FB newby

I recently moved down the coast and now have access to 25k of beach with tracks heading off into the hills all over the place.

I am think a fat bike would be a bunch of fun here, I think $1500.00 max is a spend I can live with just to get started, is there anyplace to look for good information about fat bikes, example, I am 167cm short so what size should I look for?, are they all 26" wheels? and so on and so on.

Thanks in advance

kev

• 1 month later...

So fatbikes are good for soft stuf, where tyre surface area is a bonus.

BUT

Are they also good for hard stuff that bumps and rattles your spine out your nose?

Im taking my bike out a lot on the tracks and trails here instead of the road - and put a road front end on my mountainbike. I have 2.1 tyres, down low, but between the rock hard and stupidly bumpy dried mudflat ripped up by 4wd stuff, and the sand traps, im getting pretty beat up.

Can i justify a new bike when i get back from WA?

Edited for typos

Edited by The Turtle

Can i justify a new bike when i get back from WA?

This might be the single most pointless, crazy, stupid line I've ever read on trannies!!!! Of course the answer is yes! You should clearly know that......

:)

I also read it's apparently an Avanti frame?

Yes looks like an Avanti frame

Bike looks pretty good for the $$$$$ , but like most fat bikes will be heavy , which isn't really a problem unless you are going up big hills

Cheers

Ivp

Do you reckon this warrants a $200 price difference ??

Zeus $999

Brakes - Avid DB3 Hydraulic Disc, Rotors: 180mm front, 160mm rear

Brake Levers - Avid DB3

Hub - Joytech QR and rear Quando Fat Bike Specific

Ares $799

Brakes - Tektro Hydraulic Disc, 180mm front, 160mm rear Rotors

Brake Levers - Tektro HDC

Hub - Joytech Fat Bike Specific

This might be the single most pointless, crazy, stupid line I've ever read on trannies!!!! Of course the answer is yes! You should clearly know that......

:)

Thank you sir, for setting me straight. My brain is clearly suffering from some sort of reasonable grounds issue, now i dont have a job.

A new bike will make me feel better. Much better.

Cheers!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes looks like an Avanti frame

Bike looks pretty good for the $$$$$ , but like most fat bikes will be heavy , which isn't really a problem unless you are going up big hills

So ivp what would you consider a reasonable weight (I notice a lot of manufacturers aren't listing weight in the specs). I think I heard you say at Port yours was 7.5kg (or maybe Roxii told me)...

My MTB is over 20 years old and the shifters are stuffed - these looks like a bit of fun and the Reid pricing is pretty fair.

So ivp what would you consider a reasonable weight (I notice a lot of manufacturers aren't listing weight in the specs). I think I heard you say at Port yours was 7.5kg (or maybe Roxii told me)...

My MTB is over 20 years old and the shifters are stuffed - these looks like a bit of fun and the Reid pricing is pretty fair.

Mine is 9.5kg and is the lightest FB in the world

Most cheapies are around 16 KGs and get out to 20ks

Not sure what the Reid would be but it would be closer to 16 than 14 I would suspect

All that's not too much of a drama as long as you don't want to go up any hills

Cheers

Ivp

Mine is 9.5kg and is the lightest FB in the world

Most cheapies are around 16 KGs and get out to 20ks

Not sure what the Reid would be but it would be closer to 16 than 14 I would suspect

All that's not too much of a drama as long as you don't want to go up any hills

Thanks, we went and looked at the Reid's this morning. My young bloke is pleading for one but he's a bit between sizes - on the 24 (youth) he looks really awkward and gangly but on the adult he looks like he's just a touch small. They only have a single adult size. I'll probably buy an adult one and see how he goes. If he doesn't like it I guess I'll have to take it :)

• Like 1

Thanks, we went and looked at the Reid's this morning. My young bloke is pleading for one but he's a bit between sizes - on the 24 (youth) he looks really awkward and gangly but on the adult he looks like he's just a touch small. They only have a single adult size. I'll probably buy an adult one and see how he goes. If he doesn't like it I guess I'll have to take it :)

Mate I have one you can borrow for you both to try. Mine was the one from Anaconda. Life is still a bit hectic at the moment so I cant see myself getting to use it too soon. Let me know and I can throw it in the car as per usual.

Mate I have one you can borrow for you both to try. Mine was the one from Anaconda. Life is still a bit hectic at the moment so I cant see myself getting to use it too soon. Let me know and I can throw it in the car as per usual.

Cheers mate, that would be great, many thanks. Let me know when and I'll pop over.

I took him for a ride on a 26" MTB this afternoon and it looked a lot better fit than the 24" he's riding now. The seatpost needs trimming and he's struggling a little when stopping but he's riding it really well. If he likes the fat bike his birthday is in 3 weeks so would be perfect.

Pretty sure your young fella would be older/ bigger than mine but I had my young bloke testing out an XS 27.5 today and he could ride it ok.

He's currently on a giant xtc 24 but he is growing out of it quickly in both size and ability.

If I remember I'll throw it in the car for Wednesday when I'm back at work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I know. The shop pointed that out to me, but said that they are taking about it with hydraulic for that price. I know nothing about componentry, brakes, wheels etc etc. So probably wondering if it adds up.

• 4 years later...

I used my large human brain to do a search, before starting a new thread - and look what I found! So I'm bringing this back to life. 

I'm thinking about getting a fattie, as my range of activities is now somewhat limited by my knee being rooted. 

The way I now run my dogs is by bike, but I'm looking to increase my workload so I get a bit of a workout too. Thinking the weight, rolling resistance and "comfort" of a fatbike might be what I need to change things up, as I run them on trails and offroad. 

What the go nowadays?  I'm not seeing too many. 

Canyon do a couple out of my price range, and maybe the 

Reid Zeuss $1200

Norco Bigfoot  $2000

Salted Blowfish $1800 (looks good to me)

Progear $400

20 minutes ago, goughy said:

Is their "flavour of the month" over?

Since I only first looked at their website this morning, and dont know what you're talking about, I think it must be. Was it a front page special or something?