How important is it to choose the right club

Its coming up to July first and I am about to choose my first tri club, I have only done a few small distance tri's but i plan on going long soon.

How important is it to choose the right club. I live Just south of the city (brisbane) so there are alot near me and i just cant figure out which club to join.

Should I be looking more at their training schedules as i can only train during the week?

Should i be looking for one that focuses more on going long as it is very different to the shorter distances?

Or is there something else I should be paying more attention to to help me decide?

Any feedback would be much.y apreciated

If you have mates in one I would join that and keep it as social as possible train hard with them when you can etc.

I think most of the clubs around these days are all good from what ive seen .

The only difference I see these days is a greater % train with their paid coaches /groups where once it was a bit more club orientated from the pros down to age groupers.

Not sure in The brissie area but I would assume the same. So I guess im saying join the one that has the most fun.

Do you recall from the races you have done any clubs that seem to offer support to their members racing? There are lots of clubs who offer much the same services, but only a few that truely support and encourage their members at events

You want to find a club with a diverse group so you can draw on different experiences. They also tend to less clicky. You want to have regular training sessions and regular club races too. Its important you find club coaches that cater for your type of racing too

Being able to get to the training sessions (location and timing) is a big key but in saying that if they are a good bunch of people it shouldn't matter...

In Brisbane, I'd say that Red Dog seem to have the most fun and get results on the board. No affiliation here but I did do a private swim session with Trent and he knows his stuff.

Other option would be Southbank which is supposedly a 'social' cub so may lack the coaching etc if you are require that...If you are aiming for IM and can handle being called a pussy then East Coast Cycos...

Personally I wouldn't look at any of the others as too many people just seem to set up as a income stream (have 'squads' at my local pool that doodle about wasting lane space, swim in wetsuits 10 months of year and love themselves... )

I have an old training buddy who joined Southbank, and seems to enjoy them. He is racing HIM and IM.

I'm a bit of a club b&*^ in that I'm a member of 4 different clubs down here in Melbourne, which includes 1 x Tri Clubs, 2 x running clubs and an adventure/multisport club. Means I get to know a wide range of people.

Essentially your best bet is to choose one and try it out, does the culture and training suit, if not move on to another. However, you have to give it time. You can't expect to join a club and instantly be best mates with everyone.

I have no affiliation with them and have never trained with them but ill suggest red dog. Ive trained with in training and they are a great small club but lack the organization on the riding side of it.

I would disagree with with RDTT (Reddog) not having the riding side of things covered. In fact there is two publicly organised rides based on speeds that go every Saturday and another that goes on a Wednesday. There is also groups that aren't advertised with the more advanced groups sticking together.

The squad is great and Trent produces more age group winners across all age groups but I am biased as I have been in the squad since that start.

thanks for the advice everyone, after looking at the websites I feel that I may contact SBTC, however I do like the Redpups idea as my daughter is only a few years off being able to start so I will keep them in mind also