Draft legal racing, will you do it?

I welcome the change if it happens. I have no problem riding with other riders in a pack. Been doing it for years. I've even raced road races at club level so have experienced that. I'm a half decent swimmer against others in my age group so reckon I can get with some half decent riders in group in a race. I'm keen to see what would happen in a race like this.

The question marks over this type of racing that I see are:

Aero bars - in or out.

How does a race director manage groups and peletons on the course?

Or is there no need to manage them?

Order of wave starts? How do we manage these so the faster riding age groups don't run over the top of slower age groups?

Are we destined to see a permanent starting order of pro male, pro female, M 30-34, M35-39, M40-44, F all ages , M 50+ etc etc? you get the picture.

Are we setting this up for a scenario where weaker female riders can take advantage of jumping into a faster male group (just the opposite to what they're trying to stop in Hawaii).

Time gap between wave starts? If we stretch them out this will affect overall times a race director needs a road closed for leading to increased costs or possible denial of a permit.

The big one, is any race director or event manager and TA going to have a large enough insurance cover for all the possible injury scenarios etc that may eventuate?

Will a move to draft legal racing finally price triathlon races into extinction?

Hope not because I'm a bit excited to try one if someone puts one on. Don't say the world champs cause we all know I will never get there.

Any of the race directors on here keen to give us their thoughts on it? Emo? Would you consider it in one of your races ?

Could you do a couple separate waves before everyone else that wanted to try the concept and race differently with attacks /staying of the front etc mabye under 35 then 35 to 50 ,50 + .

That way I would think you might get people with a bit more experience in racing having a go at it.

My understanding is that you can only draft off the same gender, so there will have to be wave separation to sort that one for starters. I have no idea about drafting other AGs. It doesn't seem fair, but I can't see how they will manage races within a sensible time frame if they try to manage that as well. Come World's, they will close down a city for the whole day anyway, so they will just manage starts to suit their rules.

If danger and hence insurance is such a big thing then how does cycle racing exist at the age group level?.

Having raced draft legal tri here in Auckland I know others who won't race the series because of the perceived and inherient risks involved. I enjoyed it but used my road bike with no tribars as I like control in a group.

If danger and hence insurance is such a big thing then how does cycle racing exist at the age group level?.

Having raced draft legal tri here in Auckland I know others who won't race the series because of the perceived and inherient risks involved. I enjoyed it but used my road bike with no tribars as I like control in a group.

I've never raced cycling but do they get as many newbies as tris? WA gets close to 2000 participants in the state series round abd a LOT are first timers / newbies.

Saw lots of crashes in the last round as conditions were wet and get a lot not keeping left etc ( not on purpose just very green ).

Not good

According to the race website it appears that it was one of the league teams that was involved, such teams typically among the more experienced at riding in close formation.
  • 3 weeks later...

From a TA email today

"Some exciting changes to the calendar this year include two Draft Legal qualification races for the 2016 Age Group World Championships in Mexico, which incorporates a draft legal race. We will announce the National Calendar soon on our website, so watch this space."

• Like 1

It says "watch this space" lol. I know I had the same thoughts but so be it. Under the 'old' system you'd probably have to travel away at least once to be sure to qualify so if I have to travel once for a qualifying draft legal race I'm still keen.

Cheats are always cheats, so in draft legal races, cheaters find new ways to cheat. I'll explain…

Several months ago the National tri coach here in Bahrain, talked the Sprint Distance organisers into holding a draft legal race in order to give his 10 (or so) National Team athletes a taste of ITU style racing. Everyone who had entered the race got an email the night before the event notifying them of the draft legal rule. During set-up I spoke to the coach and told him that half the field owned Time Trial bikes and a draft lega race probably wouldn't be sanctioned by either the ITU or the UCI (unless it was a TTT). It was also short notice, so organsing a road bike was unlikely. His response - "it's up to you if you want to draft or not if it bothers you." I've raced many years at Footscray and Geelong CC, so no, it doesn't bother me, although it was the first time he'd met me and probably assumed I was a nervous middle-aged grumpy woman (all true except for the 'nervous' bit).

Note, the overwhelming majority of the 140 or so entrants were BOP novices.

I was also peeved that one of the women on the National Team is a former Olympic swimmer, who usually gets out of the water in the top 3 overall. I imagined her strategy would have been to hang on to a fast moving bunch and stay in front of me.

Feeling pretty negative about the whole situation, we started. After T1 I was sitting in a group of 3 thinking that I could ITT faster than this but didn't want to make a move knowing there were some crafty wheel suckers who would take advantage. So we cruised the first 7km. I was surprised when we came across the Olympic girl riding on her own and as we passed I put in a massive 3km effort leading a small bunch. At the rate I was working, I was sure she wouldn't be able to hang on - I was right. At the U-turn she was nowhere and I knew I had the women's race won.

My first point is, don't assume other athletes are comfortable drafting. This girl was scared and didn't even give it a shot.

Now comes the interesting bit. With 10 kms to go I noticed 3 fast guys coming up behind us and I jumped straight on 4th wheel. We had a tail wind and at full power, I held 50kph back to T2. At the time, I thought it was weird that the 3rd wheel guy took no turns at the front. The two front guys did a massive amount of work. About 100m from T2 the first 2 guys pull off to the side of the road. I was deep in the red and didn't put much thought into it.

Anyhoo, turns out the 3rd wheel guy planted the 2 strongest riders from the national cycling team just outside T1 to tow him around the course - they hadn't even entered the race.

In summary, draft legal really sucked the life out of this 'club' event. It was sad to see beginners doing worse than usual as they were too scared or too poor in the swim to take advantage of the drafting. Very few people felt the results were fair as it was difficult to compare times of those who couldn't catch a wheel to those swims and skills were good enough to find an effective bunch. These people could easily be turned off the sport.

The club decided it was the first and last time they would do 'draft-legal' as the atmosphere had changed for the worse and the cheaters still cheated. Everyone heard about the 3rd wheel cheater - he came 6th overall and collected a podium trophy in his AG.

And more on Cheaters going to cheat cheat cheat ....

A MOTO RIDE TO A

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/A_moto_ride_to_a_disqualification_5158.html

After the Ironman Latin American Champs in Brazil folks noticed a picture of a competitor on the back of a motorbike, where she had finished third in her age group. 6.22.15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyhoo, turns out the 3rd wheel guy planted the 2 strongest riders from the national cycling team just outside T1 to tow him around the course - they hadn't even entered the race.

Who? I find it hard to believe that riders at that level would do this in a way so obvious

It gets worse. At the following duathlon, the guy who came second planted a mate to give him a draft off the back off his car. At one point he was seen holding on to the side of the car. Not sure why he bothered bringing a bike at all

That is surprising, I generally find Duathletes are more honest and attractive than Triathletes...

• Like 1

I'm not attracted to the drafting format. Primarily just like the whole idea of (mostly) solo effort, and wave starts and new tech have sorted/will sort out non drafting drating. Secondarily don't like the elevated risks in bunch riding (and I did some bike racing for a couple of seasons, albeit not very well).

I would definitely do some draft legal racing except I am an average swimmer so would get out of the water well behind any pack. I race bikes regularly so love that style of bike racing but it would take too much time in the pool to make it worth it for me :) I will stick to the Ultra events for now.