Structural unemployment

Drunk/stoned dad hitting drunk/stoned mum and either/both hitting kids

Parental illiteracy

No pre-reading activities

No books in the house

X kids sharing the one bedroom

No study space

Etc ........

It's really easy to say they should have worked harder at school when you're a member of the well fed, well paid, well educated middle class.

• Like 6

My favorite bit was the pregnant woman sitting on the toilet smoking the bong. Pure train wreck TV.

I didn't watch it, but I'm sure I read that she was told she should only be doing cones from now on!

When you looked at some of the people on the show, you did wonder, what hope any of them had. That is certainly some welfare money wasted there, but i couldn't really think of a solution that would work or help these people. The guy who had been a functioning heroin addict for thirty years - as a society what do we do with him?

Corey the ice addict. I don't see what he will really be offering society in the coming years besides heartache.

The one problem none of them seemed to have was access to drugs. Amazing how they could afford and then so easily score so many drugs.

Good thing was none of them had a problem with continuing to breed.

• Like 1

The really sad part is that they could of filmed that in any number of suburbs around the country.

I don't know that there is any solution in the foreseeable future and in the mean time it keeps spiraling to new lows.

It is far too easy to blame the current generation but some of them are already multi generational unemployed/ uneducated and with seemingly no hope, no role models, and any aspiration beaten out of them by parents, peer groups, or stark reality it would be a hard ask to get moving when doing nothing seems so easy and the norm.

I didn't even know this program existed but from what I have now seen I wonder why it exists? What was SBS trying to achieve with this? To demonstrate the futility of trying to do anything to help? The only way to end this cycle is to remove the ones who are yet to be influenced by it.

By leaving kids there, or even taking them away but keeping them in contact, do we expect anything other than the waste of another young life? If someone can convince me that the damage done by permanently separating a child and their family is worse than allowing them to believe that this sort of life is normal and the best they can expect then maybe I'll change my mind. Until then I have no confidence in the system to produce anything more than another generation of drop kicks.

• Like 1

I didn't even know this program existed but from what I have now seen I wonder why it exists? What was SBS trying to achieve with this? To demonstrate the futility of trying to do anything to help? The only way to end this cycle is to remove the ones who are yet to be influenced by it.

By leaving kids there, or even taking them away but keeping them in contact, do we expect anything other than the waste of another young life? If someone can convince me that the damage done by permanently separating a child and their family is worse than allowing them to believe that this sort of life is normal and the best they can expect then maybe I'll change my mind. Until then I have no confidence in the system to produce anything more than another generation of drop kicks.

I agree with nearly everything you said here Stikman. So did a Federal Government back in the early and middle of last century when they were looking at Aboriginal Families, and I doubt we'll ever see it happen here again.

No, you're right, we won't ever see it happen because of the stolen generation. Unfortunately the values of the day saw simply being aboriginal as something to be saved from. That was wrong. I don't think the situations are comparable but it won't stop false equivalences being made.

• Like 1

I do not like any reality TV - except this. Just sat in stunned amazement. I grew up for about 7 years in housing commission living in a single parent family under the poverty line. The difference for me was I had a loving extended family and a mother that gave up absolutely everything for us. She lived her life single from 1964 to her death in 2013 with hardly any money but the utmost love in her life for everyone. Even in her last months of her life in a palliative care hospital wracked by pain she was still trying to help patients in there.

We should have really all listened to John Lennon when he said that all we need is love.

FM

• Like 1