• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that a euphemism? 

My wife went to see Top End Wedding with girlfriends on Saturday night, she told me she loved it. That immediately tells me it's rubbish and I'd hate it. 

Watch "Sing Street" .... brilliant, low budget film from Ireland.

Posted Images

And if you are any sort of a fan of theirs, Midnight Oil 1984 is a must see. I went with a couple of mates from school and had hairs standing on end and tears welling up with the power, drive, and personal relevance of their mid 80's glory days. Perfect soundtrack to my mid to late teens. **** they were good. Still are after seeing them in the Domain in November.

If you are  a fan I also highly recommend catching Rob Hirst on the Conversations podcast.

Have just been to Singapore and had an opportunity to watch a couple of movies on the plane - not the best viewing experience but nonetheless.

Amongst others I watched Black Panther.  Was pretty cool and would like to watch again on a better / bigger screen.

However also watched The Darkest Hour,  based on Winston Churchill in WW2 and also LBJ, the story of him taking over the presidency following the assasination of JFK.  Both very, very good and highly recommended.

watched Swingin Safari last night. Good for a laugh and great nostalgia if you remember having a dry clad pool in the backyard, having a fat labrador,, cracker night, wearing ice cream containers on your head to warn off the magpies, evil knieval, sunken lounge rooms...

Edited by Prince
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, The Customer said:

Watched a cracker of a thriller last night on Netflix called Calibre. It's set in the Scottish highlands and gets a little tense. :death:

Yes, that one that was a goodie.

I'm watching an 18hr doco on the Vietnam War.  It's excellent, the best I've seen on the war & I've watched many.  One telling fact was a memo from a senior pollie (or could have been LBJ) which assessed their involvement as:

70% to maintain American pride (i.e. that the US could not be defeated - a telling insight into the US psyche) - FAIL

20% to stop communism - FAIL

10% to help the people of South Korea - FAIL

LBJ knew it was a complete clusterf*ck, the Viet Cong & North Vietnamese Army would just go on and on absorbing huge losses, they were losing, should not be there, but could not find a way to extract themselves.  Sound familiar (Middle East)?

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

We went and saw Equaliser 2 tonight. I don't think it was as good as the first, but still a good movie to take your mind off things.

3 1/2 stars

Stafford Cinemas however: First time there in a few years. 6 stars out of 5. I've been passing on the opportunity to see movies with the family lately as sitting for 2 hours kills my knee. The new recliners they have at Stafford are awesome. Lay back, legs up, and the knees are straight. The only fault I can find is that laid back your head is at the wrong angle to watch the screen. My jacket behind the head solved that and made it a perfect position.  

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Mission Impossible - great flic - awesome action with all the right mix of goodies and baddies and a villainess to die for 😍

Great non-CGI and low CGI action scenes that are spectacular including Tom's nemesis jump that broke his leg while filming.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Saw A Star is Born this afternoon, in a nutshell - brilliant.  Much better than I was expecting and it will get at least one oscar this year.  Ford Fairlane (Andrew Dice Clay) is in it as well, but not recognisable (I had to google which character he actually played after seeing his name in the credits) and playing a fairly straight role

• 4 weeks later...

I know my son's mates have seen them both, but I'm kinda stoked to see Deadpool 2 being released as a PG-13 movie for Xmas, "Once Upon a Deadpool".  My son really wants to see them but I won't let him yet.  But he's keen for this.  Can't imagine what they've had to change to get the rating down, but they've added some Princess Bride stuff with Fred Savage reprising his role as the sick boy, with Deadpool playing grandpa reading him the story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Ford Fairlane (Andrew Dice Clay) is in it as well, but not recognisable (I had to google which character he actually played after seeing his name in the credits) and playing a fairly straight role

Thanks for that tip, totally unrecognisable, I had no idea 

I've seen a few movies over the last month.

A Star is Born....  old story but very very good. Will clean up come awards time IMO, only fault maybe 15 mins too long. 4 out of 5. 

Bohemian Rhapsody.... Not bad but I was a little disappointed. Perhaps because it's makers billed it as a biopic and it was nothing like the biography I've read on Mercury. Maybe they just gave the public the Freddy they thought the public wanted to see, and to get a PG rating too I expect. Acting and casting was great but it felt like dialog was just filling in the spaces between epic Queen songs, the ending certainly lifted the movie. I concede almost everyone I know loved it but I agree with the majority of the critics, 2.5 from me.

Girl in the Spider's Web .... This is now the 5th movie based around the character of Lisbeth Salander and I'd rate it 4th or 5th best. 2 out of 5 from me.

Widows.... gripping, some great characters. 3.5  

18 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Bohemian Rhapsody.... Not bad but I was a little disappointed. Perhaps because it's makers billed it as a biopic and it was nothing like the biography I've read on Mercury. Maybe they just gave the public the Freddy they thought the public wanted to see, and to get a PG rating too I expect. Acting and casting was great but it felt like dialog was just filling in the spaces between epic Queen songs, the ending certainly lifted the movie. I concede almost everyone I know loved it but I agree with the majority of the critics, 2.5 from me

Yes, I'd have to agree with that, though I've not read the Freddy biography.  But the music got it across the line.

On 26/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, goughy said:

Reviewers have been a bit critical of the sanitising of the story but in general people have enjoyed it a lot.  I'm looking forward to it.

It is a good movie and very entertaining, but there is a problem with some facts.  Perhaps the collective guilt of the collaborators caused them to leave out their sun city gig and re-organised things just a tad with poetic licence. The South African gigs were a really big deal and possibly a really defining moment - Queen was fined by the British Musicians' Union and placed on the United Nations' blacklisted artists - but nowhere to be seen in this movie -. Brian May still defends their decision to do Sun City and therein lies the problem - great musician, brilliant song writer really smart academic  (I think he has a star or something names after him) but a complete dick.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the new Fantastic Beasts film last week and really enjoyed it. I am a HP fan having read all of the books and seen all of the movies. However I did not understand some of the plot, I would recommend that you watch/rewatch the first Fantastic Beasts film first. 

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Saw A Star is Born this afternoon, in a nutshell - brilliant.  Much better than I was expecting and it will get at least one oscar this year.  Ford Fairlane (Andrew Dice Clay) is in it as well, but not recognisable (I had to google which character he actually played after seeing his name in the credits) and playing a fairly straight role

We watched this last night.  Didn't know the plot of the original movies/story so the end caught us.... Left all of us down as.  I agree, was really good.  Was surprised by gaga, and she really is gorgeous when just "normal".  I haven't seen any of the other Oscar nominated movies cept for Rhapsody, so can't compare it to the others.  Cooper was really good and made a great film.  Maybe he deserves a few extra nods, who knows.  Had to google Clay's role too!

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Parkside said:

Those blokes aren't playing with a full complement. Saw Dawn Wall as well, should watch that first.

Haven't seen Dawn Wall yet but the last 15 minutes of Free Solo is gripping. Mentally and physically extraordinary.

Watched Dawn Wall last night. Not as 'tense' as Free Solo but an interesting watch. Wasn't aware of the back story when they were held hostage. Not sure I'm up for living in a tent hanging 2000 ft in the air.

Just finished watching it too. After seeing the amount of effort and falls that has gone into their climb, it makes what Alex Honnold done completely out of this world, possibly up there as the ultimate athletic feat. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Rog said:

Just finished watching it too. After seeing the amount of effort and falls that has gone into their climb, it makes what Alex Honnold done completely out of this world, possibly up there as the ultimate athletic feat. 

Yep. It was clearly an easier route but he did it without ropes in under 4 hours - truly remarkable achievement.

11 hours ago, trinube said:

Watched Dawn Wall last night. Not as 'tense' as Free Solo but an interesting watch. Wasn't aware of the back story when they were held hostage. Not sure I'm up for living in a tent hanging 2000 ft in the air.

Watched this last night too. Great movie and achievement but Honnold's Free Solo is unfathomable.

I wonder if the guys in Dawn Wall wake up with a  jolt in the middle of the night with that horrible falling sensation. I would be haunted for the rest of my life if I did anything like that.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Endgame.  Was for someone close to us. Ho hum 

My young bloke is begging to go. I'll probably end up taking him but it will be like 3 hours of torture - I have zero interest.

My son came home all upset cause kids at school were spoiling it for him, so we're going Sunday instead of next weekend.  I'm a big fan of them all.

2 hours ago, trinube said:

My young bloke is begging to go. I'll probably end up taking him but it will be like 3 hours of torture - I have zero interest.

It’s the best one I’ve seen. Even better than the Ironman movies and I rated them. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It’s the best one I’ve seen. Even better than the Ironman movies and I rated them. 

Wife is taking him tomorrow whilst I'm spending 3 hours at 38° and 60% humidity as part of a study for Sydney Uni. I think I'll be happier sweating it out :)

Just back from seeing Endgame..... Well, back, then filled 3 baskets of clothes, put some more washing on and then did the kitchen.

I thought a fitting end to it all.  Didn't actually go as I expected so that was a nice surprise.  Plenty of sniffling at the end around me, and some outright sobbing somewhere up the back left.  I wouldn't actually call it one of my favs of the series, but it was a necessary step, and closed things off.  I'll be interested to see where some of the movies go from here!  The next guardians of the galaxy has James Gunn back directing, but it'll be pushed back further as it's now behind and the goss is that taika has presented Marvell with a script for Thor 4.

Marvel movies (and this one in particular) have always had a great ability to mix humor, drama and action backed up by good scripts, story-lines and an impressive line-up of acting talent.  Hard to believe that this is effectively the climax and denouement (I've always wanted to use that word in a Trannies post! :lol:) for so many movies and so much character development.  I give it a 9 (would give it a 10 except for <spoiler  deleted!>) 

• Like 1