I like KR because it seems he is a pretty normal person, who seems like he does a lot of nice things for people #mancrush

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that a euphemism? 

My wife went to see Top End Wedding with girlfriends on Saturday night, she told me she loved it. That immediately tells me it's rubbish and I'd hate it. 

Watch "Sing Street" .... brilliant, low budget film from Ireland.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I like KR because it seems he is a pretty normal person, who seems like he does a lot of nice things for people #mancrush

Yeh I’ve read he’s very down to earth. I’m not really a fan of many of his movies though I thought the 1st John Wick was very good.

1 minute ago, Mike Del said:

Yeh I’ve read he’s very down to earth. I’m not really a fan of many of his movies though I thought the 1st John Wick was very good.

The first John Wick was good, the last one was just 2 hours of him non stop killing people. I actually turned it off...

• 3 weeks later...

"The Finishers" is on SBS movies at the moment. Some great footage and inspiration from Ironman Nice.  Worth a watch. It's got me half thinking about kinda maybe doing another IM...!

image.png.352f0386b1f9415e25e47b9815690670.png

Noticed a lot of dudes on road bikes on what looks like a mountain climb on the bike course - why don't we have any REAL bike courses on Australian IMs..?!

Edited by PeterW

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Noticed a lot of dudes on road bikes on what looks like a mountain climb on the bike course - why don't we have any REAL bike courses on Australian IMs..?!

The old, original Canberra HIM course was lumpy but still fairly benign compared to a lot of the courses here. 

I love that about racing in the UK, it's bloody hard on a lot of the courses. Not all by any means but a lot.  Throw in some potholes, rain and angry hedgehogs and you've got yourself a real adventure. 

Have a look at the recent Helvellyn race.  

With regards to Nice, I don't think the current course is as lumpy as it used to be!

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Noticed a lot of dudes on road bikes on what looks like a mountain climb on the bike course - why don't we have any REAL bike courses on Australian IMs..?

Because the fun police don't want us to hurt ourselves because we were going too fast downhill

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Checked out 1917 on, I think, Amazon.  One of the most visually spectacular things I've seen in a while - mind boggling how they got the continuity on the long single camera takes! Def, worth a watch.

Finally gotten around to "American Psycho" (Netflix) after all these years.  Awesome pic - Christian Bale is just amazing!

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Checked out 1917 on, I think, Amazon.  One of the most visually spectacular things I've seen in a while - mind boggling how they got the continuity on the long single camera takes! Def, worth a watch.

Really liked "1917" as well. The editor , Lee Smith ( Oscar winner for "Dunkirk") is one of my best high school buddies that went on to achieve way more than most of us from Davidson HS :lol:

https://collider.com/1917-movie-editing-explained-lee-smith-interview/

The fact that he was editing in "real-time" so each day's shooting could follow on from the previous day's to give the appearance of one continuous shot is astounding IMHO.

Still gives me a buzz when I see his name in the credits of a blockbuster. Especially considering the people he has worked with like Christopher Nolan ( Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, The Batman trilogy, The Prestige) , Sam Mendes ( James Bond-Spectre, 1917) and Peter Weir ( Master & Commander, The Way Back).

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The fact that he was editing in "real-time" so each day's shooting could follow on from the previous day's to give the appearance of one continuous shot is astounding IMHO.

Yes, I read how they did this and it was an amazing feat.  Very stressful and any problems meant re-shooting the scene. The night scene and the timing with the aerial flares, for me, is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen on screen.

• Like 1

Bond Movie now not being released until possibly April next year for anyone interested. This will be the same for most 'big' movie releases as they are all released world wide at the same time. Cinemas have now cut most hours and even shutting on some days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prince said:

Bond Movie now not being released until possibly April next year for anyone interested. This will be the same for most 'big' movie releases as they are all released world wide at the same time. Cinemas have now cut most hours and even shutting on some days.

Yeah, the fact that the CN movie "Tenet" didn't exactly set the box office on fire has meant that most studios won't risk losing out and would rather hold off.

This is compounded by the same studios not releasing any new content on to 4kUHD/Bluray/DVD. As someone that normally buys 3-4 movies(on disc) per month, I have probably only bought half a dozen in past 6 months.

Good opportunity to re-watch some older stuff, and keeps the chief financial officer happy, but there isn't even anything on the JB Pre-Order list that can draw out the credit card.

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, the fact that the CN movie "Tenet" didn't exactly set the box office on fire has meant that most studios won't risk losing out and would rather hold off.

This is compounded by the same studios not releasing any new content on to 4kUHD/Bluray/DVD. As someone that normally buys 3-4 movies(on disc) per month, I have probably only bought half a dozen in past 6 months.

Good opportunity to re-watch some older stuff, and keeps the chief financial officer happy, but there isn't even anything on the JB Pre-Order list that can draw out the credit card.

mind you, if covid continues for another 12 mths, you may see some more movies released for rental at normal cinema prices. Not necessarily major blockbusters, but certainly academy award movies

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FatPom said:

This is too important to be on the YT thread. 😎. Educate your kids! (or their kids!)

FP it's geo blocked.

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

That's a shame, we watched it the other night.  I wonder if somebody in the UK loaded it?

At least tell us what it is.... All we see is this: :)

image.thumb.png.d79553420423c95a61a756fef3e4c3c3.png

No, all good now, I did a European VPN and found it was The Castle.  Awesome pic!!

• Like 1
On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 4:12 PM, PeterW said:

Because noone likes tough bike courses. Thats half the reason the Pro's have no interest in Port. If it was dead flat and smooth you would have a Pro field 50 deep.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

At least tell us what it is.... All we see is this: :)

image.thumb.png.d79553420423c95a61a756fef3e4c3c3.png

No, all good now, I did a European VPN and found it was The Castle.  Awesome pic!!

haha yeah.  I didn't realise you couldn't see anything.  Mrs FP hadn't seen it. (I threatened to revoke her Aussie passport. 😉  )

On 14/10/2020 at 10:32 PM, FatPom said:

That's a shame, we watched it the other night.  I wonder if somebody in the UK loaded it?

It works perfectly here in Mongolia. Might just be blocked in Oz.

• Like 1
On 30/09/2020 at 4:12 PM, PeterW said:

The 70.3 Worlds in Nice had the same mountain - Col de Vence.  When they climb it in TDF and Paris-Nice it is classified as a Category One.  I raced on a road bike.  Not for the climb, but for the 30km of fast technical descents the other side.

Loved the course itself, but became very dangerous with so many riders descending at the same time.  And vast differences in skill levels.  Made worse due to the popularity of Zwift and Trainer Road.

Just Mercy (2019) starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx Netflix - yes, yet another, based on a true story, civil rights flick from America's South.  This one is worth a watch - I found it quite moving.

image.png.5e90af18fb9ca50675f8c6c25b5d610d.png

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

Just Mercy (2019) starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx Netflix - yes, yet another, based on a true story, civil rights flick from America's South.  This one is worth a watch - I found it quite moving.

image.png.5e90af18fb9ca50675f8c6c25b5d610d.png

Where can I find that Peter?

I saw two big films on the weekend:

1917:  This was a great film visually but I found it really lacking in other areas, like character development and I just couldn't engage or care about what happened to them. That and the ridiculous plot lines left me wondering how on earth this got the accolades it did.  Great cinematography but a pretty empty vessel otherwise.

Parasite:  Obviously quite an interesting one in our household.  I liked the story (despite it being a strange mix of genres) but the film doesn't really know what it wants to be.  It has a left wing agenda (class struggle) but I was hoping all the poor family would die as they were despicable and the rich family really didn't do anything wrong (they were just a bit dumb).

It was a very good film but Best Picture?  Somebody has been drinking The Guardian koolaide picking this one. Look at it objectively and it's it's not even close to a BP. 

Taegukgi was an infinitely better film than Parasite and that came out 15yrs ago and still stands up today IMO.

On 28/08/2020 at 11:31 PM, Mike Del said:

Saw Tenet today. Plenty of action but not that impressed. A bit too weird for me. Washington the lead actor was impressive. He’d make a great James Bond IMO

About halfway through Tenet, the mind-frying Christopher Nolan film, I began to wriggle in my seat. Twenty minutes later, I had to sit on my hands to stop myself digging around for my phone. At 150 minutes, not only was the film long, it felt endless. Nolan isn’t the only one stretching his legs. Other film-makers – and podcasters, authors and playwrights – are increasingly choosing languor and scale over brevity. The last Tarantino film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, pipped Nolan’s by 10 minutes, while the forthcoming Bond instalment – when it finally appears – is set to be the chunkiest ever for 007, at two hours 43 minutes.

Length seems to be in vogue in other genres, too: just feel the thunder from JK Rowling’s latest Galbraith book as it lands on a table. At more than 900 pages, it’s her longest crime novel, about the same extent as Hilary Mantel’s Booker-snubbed doorstopper, The Mirror and the Light.

I’ve been losing interest in James Bond movies in the last few releases. 

but 2hr 43mins.   

I’ll be like this guy watching tenet. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I hadn't watched this because i thought it would be a bit mono-dimensional, but maybe it's time I gave it a go. :)

Worth giving it a go IMO.  Once you get to the action scenes, it looks pretty realistic. (not that I'd know!).  Acting is a bit wooden but overall a great watch.

14 hours ago, FatPom said:

Worth giving it a go IMO.  Once you get to the action scenes, it looks pretty realistic. (not that I'd know!).  Acting is a bit wooden but overall a great watch.

Checked it out last night and really liked it.  In Australia it's not on Netflix but available for free on Amazon Prime or $5.99 on Apple.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised - some Aussie films like this can get a  bit cringy - remember "the odd angry shot" with Graham Kennedy or even Peter Weir's Gallipoli? I think they did a pretty good job on this one and a very good representation of the account as far as I can tell from the information available.  Thanks for the recommendation! :)

• Like 1

I watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. Very interesting documentary. If you use Social Media you should watch it.

If you wonder why some of the "discussions" in the Sandbox have become so black and white and toxic you should watch it.

It has made me re-evaluate the way and amount of time I spend on social media.

8 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. Very interesting documentary. If you use Social Media you should watch it.

If you wonder why some of the "discussions" in the Sandbox have become so black and white and toxic you should watch it.

It has made me re-evaluate the way and amount of time I spend on social media.

I tried to watch it but couldn't get past the 'Tron' scenes and the terrible socially engineered family acting.  Lasted about 20 mins.

On 13/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, FatPom said:

I tried to watch it but couldn't get past the 'Tron' scenes and the terrible socially engineered family acting.  Lasted about 20 mins.

That bit was annoying.

The premise of the documentary is that the AI algorithms used by FB, Twitter, Youtube, etc have a goal to get you to see as many advertisements as possible. If you click on a post/video on climate change or anti vax or pro Democrat the algorithm will show you more of the same to encourage you to spend more time on the app and see more advertisements. Your social media feed becomes one sided. This enables conspiracy theories to spread and causes people on both sides of politics to become entrenched in their views.

After watching it I have deleted some social media apps, turned off notifications for all of the others and reviewed my privacy settings for the apps I kept.

• Like 3
On 15/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, FatPom said:

I watched Infernal Affairs again. What a great film and a shed load better than The Departed.

Talking of old movies (sort of old) I watch No Way Out the other day.  Excellent dialogue with a brilliant twist.  Must look up the original (The Big Clock).

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Talking of old movies (sort of old) I watch No Way Out the other day.  Excellent dialogue with a brilliant twist.  Must look up the original (The Big Clock).

I do remember watching that ages ago. 

Continuing on from Infernal Affairs, I watched some more Asian films. One from Johnnie To called 'A Life Without Principle' which was definitely not one of his best but ok.

Then a Korean film called The Drug Lord, about a goldsmith that got crazy rich cooking and selling Crank to Japan.  Not bad at all.

I'd like to watch Johnnie To's 'Election' again but you have to pay for it on Amazon.

• Like 1