There's a couple of gems on Netflix at the moment:

The Geen Mile - based on a Stephen King novella, screenplay and director Frank Darabont (same team that did Shawshank Redemption

Oh Brother, Where art Thou? - Cracking Coen Brothers film with George Clooney at his comic best.

• Like 1
  • Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that a euphemism? 

My wife went to see Top End Wedding with girlfriends on Saturday night, she told me she loved it. That immediately tells me it's rubbish and I'd hate it. 

Watch "Sing Street" .... brilliant, low budget film from Ireland.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I feel kinda the same as you.  It didn't do that much for me.  Saying that, I could see this joker progressing in time to become heath Ledger's joker.

I re-visited " The Dark Knight" last week ( have had the disc for "The Joker" sitting in the HT room but haven't gotten to it as yet ).

Had forgotten how compelling Ledger's performance was. Deserved posthumous Oscar IMHO.

• Like 2

The disappearing pencil scene is one of my favs!  And it was done with slight of hand, no digital tricks.  He was insane as the joker!  

• Like 1

"give me the biggest guy in the world, smash his knee, and he'll drop like a stone"

Loved that movie when it came out.  Haven't watched it in yonks.

Edited by goughy
38 minutes ago, goughy said:

"give me the biggest guy in the world, smash his knee, and he'll drop like a stone"

Loved that movie when it came out.  Haven't watched it in yonks.

Wade Garrett man crush 

kelly lynch 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

3 hours ago, The Customer said:

There's a couple of gems on Netflix at the moment:

The Geen Mile - based on a Stephen King novella, screenplay and director Frank Darabont (same team that did Shawshank Redemption

Oh Brother, Where art Thou? - Cracking Coen Brothers film with George Clooney at his comic best.

Not available in oz oh brother 

19 hours ago, FatPom said:

I watched The Joker on Amazon last week. (Father's Day present).  

I thought on the  one hand, it was a brilliantly acted film and very good. On the other, it wasn't anything like I was expecting and didn't really seem anywhere near as dark as I'd been led to believe, I found it disappointing.

It was a film that never really got out of 2nd gear for me.

Better the second time.  Best acting I have seen in a long time.  The scene with him dancing on the stairs was mesmerising 

3 hours ago, Prince said:

Better the second time.  Best acting I have seen in a long time.  The scene with him dancing on the stairs was mesmerising 

I think there was some fall out from that with 1,000s of selfie takers turning up at the stairs. Locals weren't happy.  I did enjoy that bit.

Covid lockdown 2. Movies I’m watching/watched. 

2016 Movie Criminal.  
7/10 not sure how I missed this when it came out   

Kevin Costner, Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot, Gary Oldman. In a last-ditch effort to stop a diabolical plot, a dead CIA operative's memories, secrets, and skills are implanted into a criminal. 

Bill Pope (Ryan Reynolds) is a CIA agent on a mission in London tracking down a shadowy hacker nicknamed "The Dutchman." When he gets mysteriously ambushed and killed, an experimental procedure is used to transfer his memories into dangerous convict Jericho Stewart (Kevin Costner). When he wakes up with the CIA agent's memories, his mission is to find The Dutchman and make the deal with him before the hacker launches ICBM's and starts World War III. But complications soon arise and the mission turns personal.

31D8BA80-4783-4DE5-AA3B-80D19C9A5B5E.jpeg

Edited by Peter
1 hour ago, PeterW said:

The new pic on Apple "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks is OK - if you like battleship and/or submarine movies (and who doesn't?!!) you will love this.

Its next Up for me. 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

The new pic on Apple "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks is OK - if you like battleship and/or submarine movies (and who doesn't?!!) you will love this.

If you liked that, recommend Midway.  Good cast and great visual effects. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I went to the movies on Thursday night and saw Fantastic Fungi.

I'd put in my all-time top 3 of fungus movies.

I have Alice in Wonderland as my favourite mushroom movie. Lewis certainly knew how to pick the good ones.

• Like 1
On 13/07/2020 at 10:57 AM, PeterW said:

Watched it today.  Not bad. 
id love to see the matching movie from the sub side. 

On 13/07/2020 at 3:40 PM, Prince said:

Saw it last  night - at first I thought it was going to be another "pearl harbor" but soon proved to be a cut above that.

They had me at "flap-less carrier landing with an engine failure" and a quick look at the history books shows this one to be surprisingly strong on facts.  

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Saw it last  night - at first I thought it was going to be another "pearl harbor" but soon proved to be a cut above that.

They had me at "flap-less carrier landing with an engine failure" and a quick look at the history books shows this one to be surprisingly strong on facts.  

Yeah I know.  It is quite an underrated movie.  Probably missed the cinemas due to COVID. 

8 minutes ago, Prince said:

Yeah I know.  It is quite an underrated movie.  Probably missed the cinemas due to COVID. 

It was released late last year in the US, but 30th of January here, so had a bit over a month here before it shut up. It had fairly good responses, but as an independent  release, didn't have the media machine behind it that other releases do. I also thought it was a great movie.

19 hours ago, Peter said:

Watched it today.  Not bad. 
id love to see the matching movie from the sub side. 

The classic movie Das Boot is on SBS On Demand at the moment. On of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

Edited by Mike Del
15 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

The classic movie Das Boot is on SBS On Demand at the moment. On of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

Yup very good. Weren't they remaking it? Did you see the Das Boot TV series on SBS?

• Like 1
On 13/07/2020 at 8:57 AM, PeterW said:

I do like these types of movies, but found this to be a bit rubbish, just petered out in the end. 

• Sad 1
37 minutes ago, zed said:

Yup very good. Weren't they remaking it? Did you see the Das Boot TV series on SBS?

No I didn't know there was a series. I only came across Das Boot when a I read a few movie directors rated it in the top 10 movies of all time. 

3 hours ago, zed said:

I do like these types of movies, but found this to be a bit rubbish, just petered out in the end. 

Yes many reviews concur with your take on it.  I found the petering out to be of part of its charm - the captain (tom hanks) virtually living a lifetime of action and drama in just one or two days and then being yanked back from life and death to the banality of the job when told to "run along, we'll take it from here". 

But yes, not a lot separating this from some epic WWII dramas from the fifties and sixties, except maybe for lots of CGI and the inclusions of Canadians and English...

My mate was talking about the Das Boot series tonight.  He's onto series 2.  He and his wife stayed in the place it's set, or something like that.

14 minutes ago, goughy said:

My mate was talking about the Das Boot series tonight.  He's onto series 2.  He and his wife stayed in the place it's set, or something like that.

Where would I find the series, SBS On Demand?

On 13/07/2020 at 3:40 PM, Prince said:

The 1976 version just happens to be on Fox Classics at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The 1976 version just happens to be on Fox Classics at the moment.

Haven’t seen it since school.  I think Charlton Heston was in it. 

• Like 1

Never seen Das Boot, but The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchem used to be a fav of mine.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Brain candy - the old guard on Netflix.  Some of the most amazing fight scenes, and I’ve seen a few 😂 

Yeah. Watched that Thursday night. Good entertainment without having to engage the brain too much.

Just in case anyone is bored in isolation and is thinking of watching the new Paul Hogan movie. For the love of god, don’t.

There is however a chance the remaining hour and ten minutes of the movie may be ok, but I seriously could not get more than twenty minutes in and even then I reckon I gave it a good 10 minutes more than I should have just for the benefit of the doubt. 
it someone was to tell you that hoges, Olivia Newton John, and Shane Jacobson had never acted before in their lives, I think you would believe them. 
apparently it has an all star cast, but I just couldn’t get past the Scene where he confronts Jacobson playing a Dundee lookalike in Hollywood so I’ll never know if John Cleese etc we’re able to save this steaming pile of poo. 

if there was absolutely nothing else on tv, I’d choose a rerun of the test pattern over this. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, roxii said:

Just in case anyone is bored in isolation and is thinking of watching the new Paul Hogan movie. For the love of god, don’t.

There is however a chance the remaining hour and ten minutes of the movie may be ok, but I seriously could not get more than twenty minutes in and even then I reckon I gave it a good 10 minutes more than I should have just for the benefit of the doubt. 
it someone was to tell you that hoges, Olivia Newton John, and Shane Jacobson had never acted before in their lives, I think you would believe them. 
apparently it has an all star cast, but I just couldn’t get past the Scene where he confronts Jacobson playing a Dundee lookalike in Hollywood so I’ll never know if John Cleese etc we’re able to save this steaming pile of poo. 

if there was absolutely nothing else on tv, I’d choose a rerun of the test pattern over this. 

For the record, John Cleese CANNOT save this steaming pile of poo...............

11 minutes ago, Ayto said:

For the record, John Cleese CANNOT save this steaming pile of poo...............

Wow, did you make it all the way through??

Surely Ironman would be less of a feat of endurance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 3:56 PM, roxii said:

6:29 is how long I lasted. 

Guessing he is rooting the chick because she couldn’t act for shit. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Jindabyne the film? Its a great film IMO

Yes the film.  We watched it last night.  It was very good, but then it just sort of ended in a strange and unsatisfying way.

BTW I reckon those big rainbows they were catching were all planted in that pool by the Gaden Trout Hatchery, never seen that many chunky fish in the Thredbo River (pretty sure it was the Thredbo they were in).

• 2 weeks later...