WTS series opener

Lots on this weekend with IMNZ and WTS first round, amongst others.

For me, outside of Cam winning IMNZ, I am interested in seeing how Alan Webb goes in the WTS?

Clearly the man can run but can he swim and ride with the big boys?

Lots on this weekend with IMNZ and WTS first round, amongst others.

For me, outside of Cam winning IMNZ, I am interested in seeing how Alan Webb goes in the WTS?

Clearly the man can run but can he swim and ride with the big boys?

Who is alan webb

He must be okay given we can't get good guys a start in the itu series.

Or a special entry ?

Unless he can swim he has no chance.

Brownlees should win easy as per usual.

I think he's just been served a little dose of reality. If you don't come from a swimming background you're done no matter how fast you think you can run.

5th last out of water = 3rd group on bike and 15th fastest run very quick 15.04 but 1min slower than winning run time. 30 odd years old ? I dont think he will cut the mustard with these young guys they are bloody quick!

I think he's just been served a little dose of reality. If you don't come from a swimming background you're done no matter how fast you think you can run.

I have to admit I didnt realise it was a sprint and not an Olympic.

He clearly has no chance over an Olympic distance.

he went better than I thought he would.

5th last out of the water? The 4 behind him need to find a new sport.

Or go to long course.

I find it funny guys think they can cross over into itu and think they have chance.

Its not the early 90's thats why the whole Craig mottrem thing was a joke as well .

There only chance is an easy wetty swim and hope the front guys just sit up and all packs join but still top 10 at best.

Yeah but you can't fault him for having a go, everyone enjoys a challenge. Cynical bunch aren't you.

yes and no.

He clearly doesnt make the cut to race at this level. He may in the future. But he isnt there yet.

Has he won some local races or even major races in the states to justify his start at the ITU level?

Edited by Peter

No can't fault him, good on him but its just the PR bullshit that goes with the hype that I find laughable.

A lot of people still don't give credit to these top itu guys and realise how good they are .

They are the first generation of pure triahlete they haven't come from slsc or running .

I see that oldschool touched on the perennial Craig Mottram issue with a broad brush dismissal.

Mottram had the physique and the VO2 Max to kill ITU. He could also swim under 20 minutes for 1500M, but he needed to switch over in his mid 20s and be prepared to put in those 70km+ swim weeks that mickbillfrank talked about on the Chris Hanrahan thread to get 1500M time below 18 minutes. Post Beijing was his last chance IMO. Alas.

I've heard it said that he only switched from Junior triathlon to athletics because he wasn't good enough a triathlete. Bullshit. He had the opportunity to try out for the sydney games as a teenage runner and made the team. That's why he switched.

He decided to give olympic running another go after Beijing and although he made the London team he was easily run out in the heats. That makes 4 Olympics but only one final. He did medal at both world championships and commonwealth games level.

In my view Mottram is a cut above Alan Webb as a runner and a much better allround ITU prospect. He made his choice though and I think is still competing and is a chance for the marathon team in Rio. That being said, I think it was a real shame he didn't switch after Beijing. I think he had the ability to smash everybody, up to and including the Brownlees. He needed 4 years of hard work - starting when he was still in his mid 20s to make it.

Edited by Andrew #1

I see that Webb beat Kungfu. ... Although Kungfu did beat him out of the water by 8 seconds. lol

Webb's 9:24 for 750 M isn't shabby - only 20-30 seconds off the lead.

Might go ok once he gets the power to race the whole distance. Probably not enough time to qualify for Rio though ...

I see that Webb beat Kungfu. ... Although Kungfu did beat him out of the water by 8 seconds. lol

Webb's 9:24 for 750 M isn't shabby - only 20-30 seconds off the lead.

Might go ok once he gets the power to race the whole distance. Probably not enough time to qualify for Rio though ...

Agree. Its still better than I'd swim but then again I'm not a fulltime pro with government sports health assistance. Over 1500 that's going to be over a minute. Given the leaders will either be in a pack busting their arses off the front when he gets out of the swim, unless he rides like a drugged Lance Armstrong, he isn't going to catch them.

BTW as per usual the ITU coverage was excellent. Vision is so good.

You know peter, back in 2012 there was only one aussie male (out of the 4 Olympic 'chances') capable of consistently swimming with the leaders - CA - who had his own problems on dry land - especially between his ears. Both Macca and Kungfu would have been happy with Webb's swim last night & Sticksy would have been no sure thing for a better swim.

Its not so much about him being there good on him if he gets starts but the game has changed these guys are TRIATHLETES and I just dont think he will ever crack top 5 .Also I think mottram made the right decision in running he was/is world class sub 13 is awesome but when all that talk went on I reckon he had missed the boat. A. he would never have made front pack swim and I think he wouldn't run much quicker if at all then the top 5 .so I think going for the marathon is a good decision.

Mottram also had the good fortune to be under the Nic Bideau 'elite performance' program some wildly yoyoing results from one season to the next were seen.

Also worth noting Kungfu Sexton crashed on the bike.

Edited by Niseko