power analysis gurus

Just did first ftp test in a long time. First one on a trainer.

Did I take the first half too easy? I was stinging and really struggling the last 3 minutes but there solid growth for the last 6 minutes.

20 minute test, grey lines are 100w apart

.Y5w91Wy.png

I reckon it isn't too bad. I reckon you could have gone out a little harder. Bear in mind if you are going to transfer this over to use on the road it would be 25-30 watts lower.

I had a look in my ride feed and it gives a good break down of each 5 mins.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-03-05%2Bat%2B3.47.0

You took it out way too easy. Generally break a test up into quarters, the 3rd quarter in well executed test usually results in the lowest AP. A test like yours should never see power profile north that much towards then end of the test. Just googled some results (well executed ones too)

I wouldn't be using this test to set up your zones, but it is a good starting point. Draw a line through that 3rd quarter where you power levels out, set that up as a benchmark and have another crack.

fluro

• Like 1

I reckon it isn't too bad. I reckon you could have gone out a little harder. Bear in mind if you are going to transfer this over to use on the road it would be 25-30 watts lower.

I had a look in my ride feed and it gives a good break down of each 5 mins.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-03-05%2Bat%2B3.47.0

Lower or higher on the road? I thought the talk was it would be lower on the trainer than the road?

You took it out way too easy. Generally break a test up into quarters, the 3rd quarter in well executed test usually results in the lowest AP. A test like yours should never see power profile north that much towards then end of the test

fluro

Agree.

Went out too easy,

Most people would say add x watts to ftp for the road. But really that's not the right thing to do.

Go down to Nundah and do the same test around the circuit. This way you will get an accurate number. My trainer versus road ftp used to be about 40 watts different, but now with a different trainer, it's much closer.

As far as I know, there isn't a decent equation for "x".

Most people would say add x watts to ftp for the road. But really that's not the right thing to do.

Go down to Nundah and do the same test around the circuit. This way you will get an accurate number. My trainer versus road ftp used to be about 40 watts different, but now with a different trainer, it's much closer.

As far as I know, there isn't a decent equation for "x".

Yes, afaik a trainer ftp is great for trainer sessions and road ftp for road. Crossing the two is not always going to work (although depending on trainer the variance may differ).

My road FTP is a bit higher than the trainer, but I do the bulk of my quality sessions on the trainer so I just make sure any road sessions I am near the top of the prescribed zone.

E.g. Yesterday I had a session asking for 1 hour @ Z3 which for me is about 180-210 watts according to my trainer FTP. I just targeted 210 watts and it seemed about right.

To me plus or minus 5-10 watts in a session like that is not a massive deal. If my trainer FTP is increasing then my training is doing what I want it to. When it comes nearer to race time I will be doing more road simulation sessions to work out target wattages better then.

it was referring to using the Wahoo Kickr as a power source and not validating it with a power meter you would use on a road. To date the overwhelming majority or results on the wahoo kickr give a reading 25-30 watts higher.

You did use a wahoo kickr right??

it was referring to using the Wahoo Kickr as a power source and not validating it with a power meter you would use on a road. To date the overwhelming majority or results on the wahoo kickr give a reading 25-30 watts higher.

You did use a wahoo kickr right??

Yeah on Kickr. Estimating fitness/ftp levels at the moment taking 25-30 from the Kickrs FTP would be very close to what I was expecting.

I think work trainer sessions on kickrs ftp numbers but do combination of road rides at feel and effort closer to races and should be able to estimate.

People don't have two FTPs, just one. The fact that some are unable to express it while training in certain environments (e.g. on an indoor trainer, when it's hot, at 1500m altitude etc) is another matter entirely.

You have one ftp but you can have more than one device recording that ftp which could provide two different values that you assign to ftp.

Yeah on Kickr. Estimating fitness/ftp levels at the moment taking 25-30 from the Kickrs FTP would be very close to what I was expecting.

I think work trainer sessions on kickrs ftp numbers but do combination of road rides at feel and effort closer to races and should be able to estimate.

That said I have dialled my kickr via inflating my FTP on Trainer Road so as when I work at a given % of the FTP it mirrors my actual FTP which is being recorded on the Garmin. I belive a fix is VERY close for the kickr to be controlled via external ANT+ power meter. That said the way a kickr just throws the resistance at you and you just pedal is still awesome.

People don't have two FTPs, just one. The fact that some are unable to express it while training in certain environments (e.g. on an indoor trainer, when it's hot, at 1500m altitude etc) is another matter entirely.

The reason I said that was if I use my indoor trainer derived ftp for pacing in a race and am unable to replicate this power comfortably it's going to mean poor pacing and thus, waste of time using power.

Mine are pretty much the same so no issue but for guys describing significant differences it's going to skew targeted training / racing.

You have one ftp but you can have more than one device recording that ftp which could provide two different values that you assign to ftp.

You have a power meter on your bike. I don't understand why you would record figures off another device which could read differently

You have a power meter on your bike. I don't understand why you would record figures off another device which could read differently

Erg mode you have to use kickrs power

As harts says might be possible soon to use power metre but for now no choice.

I think everyone is getting a little confused with the message.

Kickr have a known drift as it warms up. Starts out spot on for about 2 mins. Ends up reading 25-30 watts higher then power2max and many others such as quark, SRM. It is well documented. It is not about have 2 FTP's but actually training at an accurate measure of that FTP.

You can read all about it here.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Controlling_the_Kickr_via_external_power_meter_now_possible_P5396505/