IM/HIM Newbies

One of the hardest things for a newbie doing an IM (or for that matter, a HIM), is the unknown due to the distance. This is especially difficult if you don't have a coach.

What I found great was to find someone to talk to (not internet/forum etc), but to actually talk and ask a thousand questions or listen to their experiences. You feel a lot at ease with this. It does build confidence. The metal side of the day is essential and being a bit mentally prepared is a must. I have done this with a few on here over the years just to make them feel a bit more comfortable for their day.

So, I thought it would be a good idea if there are any newbies that would like to "team-up" with an experienced campainer, or someone that has done a few IMs. This way they could just chat a bit on the phone and ask a heap of questions to help them along. I'm not suggesting coaching, but the casual chat to ask some of the small stuff - or big stuff if you like.

I am happy to put my hand up, although I have only done a few HIMs in the last few years. The last IM I did was 2005 (and a few before that) but they are quite vivid in my mind.

How I thought it could work. The campaigners could put their names down in this thread until say Friday 27 Feb. From the following week onwards, the newbies could PM who they want and see if they can make contact. This way, some of the Trannie IM and HIM shared experience can be passed around.

There is a lot of trust with doing this. The receiver understanding that the person giving is trying to pass on a bit of experience/confidence and they can call time-out if required (and I guess not coaching) and the person giving understands they are trying to help the person so not to judge the person (including if they want to call time-out).

Thoughts ????

FM

Edited by Flanman

Great idea Flanny

Last time I did Port I offered a bit of advice on the psychological side of it to a few of the newies from Cronulla, which they told me afterwards was reallyuseful. Happy to do the same again

AVAGO thinks that Flanman has a good idea

AVAGO bio

old bloke from Narrabeen

20 IMs down with 20 more to come

knows how to finish in the middle of the pack

knows how to finish at the back of the pack

knows how to finish

( you get the same finishers medal & towel regardless of where you finish )

Edited by AVAGO

Yes, good idea FM.

I am happy to help out -

4 IM's, loads of HIM's

20yrs of tris

I help a group of guys at the moment and learn from them as much as I give out.

Just a personal plug for Nath, he has been of great assistance to me over the last 2 months.

Can't say I've followed he suggestions 100% of the time but they have been of great value and assistance.

• Like 1

Just a personal plug for Nath, he has been of great assistance to me over the last 2 months.Can't say I've followed he suggestions 100% of the time but they have been of great value and assistance.

Good work

Nice stuff nath

Cheers

Ivo

I have a multiple Kona qualifier here at work who provided a lot of great support. I sent him lists of questions a couple of times and we sat down and discussed them.

Pre-race he advised I write a race plan with contingencies for issues that may arise, focussing on how I was going to handle them emotionally. He then reviewed that plan and offered more suggestions.

I think having the validation of that plan meant I went into the day more confident that I would be able to cope no matter what. So when I arrived in the morning and realised I had left my primary bike nutrition back at my accommodation, I had about 30 seconds of panic and then just dealt with it.

So yes, get on it for those like me without a coach.

Ideally pick someone who is at least moderately successful (faster than you hope to be) as they usually prepare more thoroughly.

Great idea Flanman, could have done with this for my first IM.

Happy to offer some insight from the relative IM newbie perspective as well (4 x IM), where the first IM is still pretty fresh in the memory. Obviously those with a wealth of experience can provide more detailed and comprehensive advice - if I'd had an experienced 'mentor' (as Naut says, someone successful), I'd have asked about nutrition, race planning, training etc. etc. However, just as important would have been having access to someone with a few IMs, so I could ask the things I might have been embarrassed asking the veteran about: what were your major worry points that turned out to be very minor issues, check-in, racking procedure, what's the most intimidating thing on race morning, how does transition work, what was the stand-out lesson from IM-1 to IM-2.

Just an idea about advice from a different perspective.

I like the idea as some newbies may feel they can't ask the questions in their own thread for fear of feeling like an idiot.

What would be good is that possibly the Mentor starts a thread discussing some of the content being requested so that it's captured and shared?

Just brainstorming..........

As others have said, great idea Flanman.

I'm still a relative newbie (half a dozen HIM and one IM) so I don't have much to offer but I will say that having quite a few mates around here that do have experience was very valuable to us leading into our first IM last year.

And on a slightly side note, I don't know Flanman from a bar of soap (apart from here on Trannies) but I received a fantastic PM from him after my race last year that was greatly appreciated. You just don't know who's out there pulling for you and it's a nice surprise to receive little messages like that.

I'd be very keen to catch up with anyone who's been there and dunnit in the days leading up to IMOZ. Obviously too late to influence training by then but will be nice to chat to someone about the course and how they handle things mentally.

For some reason, everyone in my club does Busso & Cairns. Very few Port veterans, except for a couple who went round 'back in the day.'

I'm happy to help. 3 IMs and a few halfs. I'm not fast, but I am obsessive, so I'm familiar with the need to know everything about what will happen.

I remember asking about race numbers and worrying that the guide seemed to say that you needed two numbers on the bike. People made fun of me and told me to relax. How the hell are you supposed to relax before your first ironman?

Great idea Flanman. You are spot on that some people just want a sounding board and not necessarily a coach.

I think they'd need to be pretty desperate to take any advice from me but I'm more than happy to offer it.

Four previous IM's & lots and lots of other races over the past 20 years and still loving it. I'm not all that good at it, but I know what it takes to do it on a very tight budget and with limited time while trying to fit it in around the other priorities in your life.

I already do a bit of life and triathlon coaching (for free) so it's certainly no problem.

( you get the same finishers medal & towel regardless of where you finish )

Yep, when it comes to doing your first IM, that's just about all you need to know.

Plus maybe a few tips about training, nutrition and the race itself.

And on a slightly side note, I don't know Flanman from a bar of soap (apart from here on Trannies) but I received a fantastic PM from him after my race last year that was greatly appreciated. You just don't know who's out there pulling for you and it's a nice surprise to receive little messages like that.

I had exactly the same experience. I also don't know Flanman but after I'd commented on a thread that I was really struggling with motivation while recovering from injuries, Mick offered me a few positive words in a PM.

Basically, I was about to withdraw from Nepean and the Western Sydney 70.3 (and maybe even pull the pin on Triathlon altogether) but after talking to Mick I ended up doing both and really enjoyed them. I'm also lining up for another IM in a couple of months time and I may not have been doing that had it not been for Mick's PM. I don't really know whether to thank him or curse him :sleepy:.

• Like 1

Great idea and something I'd certainly use if I can get myself to get on the IM train.

And just because you're slow doesn't mean you don't have heaps to offer. As a famous football coach once said, "to be a jockey you don't have to be a horse first".

I help a group of guys at the moment and learn from them as much as I give out.

Absolutely, I don't think we ever stop learning. And it's the folks that get out there and just give it a go that really inspire me, not the pointy enders.

Edited by Go Easy