how much difference does a bike make (Newbie)

Im only new to tri and I know the biggest difference is made by the person powering the bike

I am training for my first 70.3 at the end of the year, currently when riding i average 30km/h on the flat on a basic road bike (with aero clipons)

If I upgraded to a basic tri bike (seen a well priced secondhand Look 496 with FSA components) how much would this help, are we talking 5% 10% 20% increase in speed/ efficiency or would it not really make much of a difference until I improve my fitness and power output

Less than 10%. Maybe 5%,

It is;perfectly normal to use a road bike with clip ons. If I'm you, I would train and race on that bike this year. And look to set some targets for 2016, If you did go with the Look, I would think aero wheels if included would make some difference. If not included that would be another thing to buy.

There will always be used bikes to buy. After this year your needs might change....I would sit tight.

The advantage of tri bikes is that you can hold a more aero position but also that you can run better off them as long as you're fitted well.

Of course the other thing might be that it becomes your pride and joy and you start riding more cause you want to spend as much time as possible on it.

The fact that you're asking what the advantages are means you know deep down it's time for a new bike.

Excellent second hand TT bikes going cheap. I bought my first TT bike five years ago for $800, with a pair of HED trispokes I'm still using. Even though speed advantage might only be +2-3km/h ave (5-10%) reckon it's worth it. Buy cheap, sell cheap then get to the point buy more expensive when have tried a few things. Unless you've got enough money can buy expensive at outset :)

Aero helmet and bike fit > frame, apparently. Save for longer, buy something new that sings to you and is wildly expensive. Not because it will make you faster, but becasue it will make you smile!

Snap.

if you love your bike you will train better.

My 2 cents I've only got a old roadie 90,s with clip ons I did a tri one year on it a couple years ago 30k. Then the following year same tri with the top of line tt bike I rode exactly 3 mins quicker my average rides per year would have been about 10 rides before each of the races.

A well fitted tri position will make a big difference. A new bike might make things better or worse (it's all about the geo and the fit). You could build the bike out of bamboo as long as it was the right fit you would still have a great race. Remember, it's not a bike, it's a delivery mechanism for a marathon.

If you have be same position on your roadie as you do in a full blown tt bike the difference is minimal. Get a good set up on your current bike, get an aero helmet and some cheap used 60mm wheels.

Really? For a given aero position the difference between a 73 and 78+ degree seat angle makes quite a difference. The 73 will see your knees pushing into your chest whereas the 78+ angle will give a far more open position. Not only is it more comfortable but your quads will be in better shape and enable a better run. Moreover, a roady with clip ons handles and rides pretty badly with a rider in the aero position with too much weight over the front wheel.

Take a look at two same-sized bikes - one roady and one Tri Bike (eg P2/3/4) and put them axle to axle and see the difference in the relative position of the crank - the steep angled tri bike will have shorter chain stays, thus moving the crank towards the rear wheel and moving the C of G back towards the rear wheel which compensates for the forward weight shift of the aero position.

Go for a TriBike but get one with a nice steep seat angle, otherwise it is simply a roady with tri bars.

Edited by Pete