Just entered the xterra sprint race in husky in 11 weeks. Plenty of cycling for ten years but have never trained for a mountain bike. The bike course is 15km of unknown terrain. How do I train for the cycle leg? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Rodder

Hi rodder

Just get out on the mtb as much as you can ,it's only 15k ( that's short) so fitness shouldnt be a problem, just ride and work on your technical skills on some trails ( the course won't be that hard and you can always get off the really technical stuff)

Be carefull though MTBing is very addictive , and after a while you'll wonder why you've been riding road for ten years :-)

Cheers

IVP

• Like 2

Did the longer version last year which is part of the short course plus other stuff. There is lots of fire trail but with lots of big puddles and ride throughs, a rock garden which is quicker to walk through and some single track. I only started MTB last year and did the race and fell off about 10 times, but am better this year. You need to go an do the trails every week or two , as it is a classic experience curve where you improve heaps in the first 20 hours of practice. If you are in Sydney go and do Manly Dam which is far more technical than Xterra or RNP

With no skills yet just wondering how long I should make my long trail ride to ensure the distance won't be a problem on race day?

Mate spaghetti head is right, you get disproportionately better by riding a few times.

I spend alot of time at callala and some of those tracks have massive water carries even when dry. Hence curious re the tracks. Theres a thing at the back of the golf course called brownies bog or swamp and it is. Not sure how many scum tracks it uses but they would be in good knick.

Very curious re course and a Saturday race which means Saturday night beers

Also I have shimano road pedals, cleats and shoes. Will they do for a once a year race or will I need a mtb setup.

Nah mate. You will need either mtb set up or go runners and flat pedals. Your road cleats will clog up and you won't even be able to clip in pretty much straight away. Mtb shoes are recessed so you can run and walk better around and over obstacles you can't ride over.

Nah mate. You will need either mtb set up or go runners and flat pedals. Your road cleats will clog up and you won't even be able to clip in pretty much straight away. Mtb shoes are recessed so you can run and walk better around and over obstacles you can't ride over.

Agree

If you don't get mtb pedals and shoes go a good set of flat pedals

Cheers

Ivp

Also I have shimano road pedals, cleats and shoes. Will they do for a once a year race or will I need a mtb setup.

Basic shimano pedals and shoes about $50 each on wiggle. My xtr's were only $90.

The rip off prices of triathlon aren't as bad with mtb's.

If you're new to mountain bikes, the trick with rock gardens etc is pick a line and track straight through with speed. You keep stability this way rather than stalling and trying to pick the softest way through which inevitably is not the quickest.

Hi Rodder , come do the Xterra race over in NZ next month . Of road tri , look at site Motatapu Xterra 7march.

What a venue . 20+ river crossings , picture terrain only used to race on once a year . Fantastic .

Come on you mountain bikers give it a go. Only 47km.

Bike only or tri. Your choice .

Found shoes and pedals for a good price. Thanks for the advice. Hit MT Annan botanic gardens trails this morning. Got a Lot of work to do. Miles of fun but didn't expect to hit the heart rates I did. Very different to the road. Thanks again

Found shoes and pedals for a good price. Thanks for the advice. Hit MT Annan botanic gardens trails this morning. Got a Lot of work to do. Miles of fun but didn't expect to hit the heart rates I did. Very different to the road. Thanks again

:-)

Cheers

Ivp

• 4 weeks later...

Word is that the actual course details won't be released until maybe the day of the event or possibly just before. That is pretty standard for a lot of Mtb events. But an inside bird tells me the venue will be Callala again so I'd imagine the track will be in the same general vicinity as last year. The state forest around there has miles and miles of both fire trail and seriously awesome single track to let loose on. However it's not like it's code brown downhill stuff so it is pretty doable for just about anyone with some basic Mtb skills.

I did it last year and had a ball. Great atmosphere, beautiful surroundings, easy access to cold beer at the finish line. What's not to like?

For those who feel that their MTB skills are less than outstanding the sprint distance would be the pick. My local knowledge tells me you are looking at almost total fire trail (although expect some mud and even places you'll want to carry the bike if it's been raining).

• Like 1