I really need some help.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just been reading through a few of the other comments and advice on this thread. There's some great ideas, and there's some hard truths. I can't offer much in regard to any financial or legal a

Would you believe, both applied and both knocked back?     Anyway, I have good news. Yesterday morning I interviewed for a 6 month contract role, which may be extended to 12. Before I had even gott

Just came across yet another old thread... Yep, they were beautiful then and they still are.  It's a pity that some have moved on, and others have shuffled off this mortal coil forever, but lif

I wish I could help Thommo. I understand how hard it is to put it out there and ask. I myself am about 2 months away from being technically insolvent with both me and my husband out of work despite our best efforts to find something, anything.

Good luck mate.

Either of you got a motor bike licence

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/featured-jobs.html

I'm absolutely lost for words!!!!

All of you are absolutely amazing people. When I wrote it I was actually hoping for maybe $100 at very best through people throwing in a gold coin and passing this around at their work etc and hoping maybe people there would do the same.

I really didn't expect what you guys have done for me so far. You are all amazing. I can't say thank you enough.

If any of you feel like you would like to pass this on at your work or club etc you have my permission. I just ask that you make people aware that I still intend to pay it back no matter what they say. Or if they would prefer I could make a donation to their favourite charity or Tri club etc.

I didn't sleep much at all last night because you all had me thinking about you.

Thank you all again

Either of you got a motor bike licence

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/featured-jobs.html

Would you believe, both applied and both knocked back?

Anyway, I have good news. Yesterday morning I interviewed for a 6 month contract role, which may be extended to 12. Before I had even gotten home from the interview I received a call from the HR peeps indicating they wanted to go to reference checking and police clearance. I should start next week. *sigh of relief*

It definitely takes the pressure off for now. My husband has been unemployed for 7 months now. We are both resources industry (well not me anymore, I managed to get a gig in a new industry which will help immensely going forward) and the downturn has everyone struggling for work. At least now I can again cover the bills and with luck something will come up for him too so we can get ourselves back in front.

And on the back of that, I am now too in a position to help out. $50 in the account for you and yours Thommo, from me and mine.

• Like 4

Would you believe, both applied and both knocked back?

Anyway, I have good news. Yesterday morning I interviewed for a 6 month contract role, which may be extended to 12. Before I had even gotten home from the interview I received a call from the HR peeps indicating they wanted to go to reference checking and police clearance. I should start next week. *sigh of relief*

It definitely takes the pressure off for now. My husband has been unemployed for 7 months now. We are both resources industry (well not me anymore, I managed to get a gig in a new industry which will help immensely going forward) and the downturn has everyone struggling for work. At least now I can again cover the bills and with luck something will come up for him too so we can get ourselves back in front.

And on the back of that, I am now too in a position to help out. $50 in the account for you and yours Thommo, from me and mine.

Excellent news Katz. I hope the hubby gets something soon as well. :thumbup1:

Nope. Just been through a permanent impairment process and I don't meet the criteria. Which is a croc of shit to me but that is what they are saying.

They accept my knee injury and the depression I have from it but only cover the basic medical costs.

Which Act are you covered by?

If anyone is here in Canberra or comes down for a race or something let me know. Maybe I can meet up and cheer you on or fill your bidons! I'm happy to come and volunteer.

Carefull on those comments.....if i get my ars** into gear and train....am likely to head back to Majura Pines at Easter for a return to 24 hour Solo Mountain bike racing...pit crew....or abuse to get moving more...

either way...$50 heading from me....

Katz that is awesome news. Please you don't have to. You are in your own situation and I am not here to put anyone else in trouble. Where are you located??

Shrek, Happy to help out. Give me a yell and I will be there. I'm there for it and more than happy to keep pushing you back out onto your bike!!

You guys are awesome.

Tim

Quite alright Thommo. I will always help someone who needs it if I am in a position to do so. There is too much selfishness and greed in the world and not enough human kindness. I may not be able to do much, but I will always do what I can.

We're in Perth.

• Like 1

been thinking about this

best i can come up with is a 3 pronged attack

Tranny Lawyers - is he really at the end of the compo road ?

Tranny Accountants / Financiers - lets get some solid financial counselling recommendations

rest of us , lets come up with some creative fundraising ideas.........

• Like 1

I've got an old tri bike / some bike shoes and a cheap indoor trainer that I was going to try and sell. Probably only worth $100 - $150 collectively, but if you can organise to get it ( I'm in Sydney ), they are yours to try and sell - keep what cash you can get for them.....

been thinking about this

best i can come up with is a 3 pronged attack

Tranny Lawyers - is he really at the end of the compo road ?

Tranny Accountants / Financiers - lets get some solid financial counselling recommendations

rest of us , lets come up with some creative fundraising ideas.........

If he's the chap that posted the previous compo he's covered by the SRCA I'm happy to assist with advice etc. I've worked with primary decisions and appeals across all entitlements under the Act and certainly lots of loop holes etc

I can't even put grass down in our backyard for the kids to play on.

Sorry I'm not in a position to help financially, but best of luck to you. I know Fitness Buddy was in a similar position (still is?), & rather than give him money (which he felt awkward about), he put together his e-book on nutrition (which was excellent, btw)...

Also, re: the grass. I couldn't afford to turf our yard either. Turf is the luxury option - we just used lawn seed (bought it off the shelf from Bunnings). Takes longer, but you end up with the same result in the end...

Good luck... :-)

Workinglikeadog that would be a great idea and I would appreciate the help and advice.

Esoteric, mine is under Comcare so if you do have some advice and experience it would be appreciated.

Abby, I have thought about the lawn seed but I need retaining walls first

Honestly thommo, we've needed retaining walls in a few spots for 5 years now. Just let the grass grow and will worry about it another day. Kids will play on any slope.

• Like 1

.....I need retaining walls first

I built my own using besser blocks. Keep the walls less than a metre high and you dont need engineering certificates and stuff. I just dug a shallow trench, mixed concrete in a barrow and shovelled it in and roughly levelled it. Then put the rows of blocks on top using a level and a straight edge. I filled the corner sections with cement inside to sturdy it all up. Surprisingly easy to do.

• Like 1

Reality check. You might get $500 or $1000 max. It's mostly a token and it doesn't solve the problem. Maybe alleviates for a month, maybe less.

Some contributors have significant difficulties of their own, it is moving when they chip in. But it took 2 of you to get into this and it will take 2 of you working hard over a few years to get out.

There's some quite solid advice there and I would hope you would apply some of it, without becoming a pysch or basket case.

I'm from the ACT originally it ain't cheap, but there you go. Salaries tend to be good also.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith
  • Like 1

Kamal,

I totally agree with you. I know it isn't the problem solver right now. Believe me it's not like we have let go of the reins and are going to go on a spending spree.

But today is one of the best days I've had in a long time. I felt like I could breath today and that has been a feeling I've had for a long time.

• Like 1

Mine should be either in your account or going through the ether. If you want a a ride or run some day followed by a coffee, to to take your mind of this, drop me a line.

Doing my first ride off the trainer tomorrow for 2.5 hours after the crash

Workinglikeadog that would be a great idea and I would appreciate the help and advice.

Esoteric, mine is under Comcare so if you do have some advice and experience it would be appreciated.

Abby, I have thought about the lawn seed but I need retaining walls first

Yeh mate no problem. Msgd you.

BarryBevan, I actually still can't ride or run so unofrtunately that is out of the question for me. Enjoy your ride though. In saying that I have Mon and Tue off next week if you have any spare time during school hours and would like a coffee?

Workinglikeadog, Just wondering what you were thinking about doing or saying or asking etc when you asked TJ01 to hold that thought????

Again I say thankyou to everyone. I even got an email from Plazbot who has thrown in some cash. He is someone I followed closely on here when he was doing all the training and dropping weight etc. At that stage I had taken a break from the sport for work and had put on a few extra kgs so it was good to see someone doing something and become inspired by it.

Just so everyone knows having a second job either part time or fulltime for me isn't as easy as just finding one. My current employer is quite specific in who you can work for and what type of work that secondry job is. They also seem to take quite a while to approve secondry employment. They seem to not like it very much!! lol The other issue I have is I start early/finish early and my wife is opposite so she can do drop off, breakfast etc and I do pick ups, dinner, homework etc. So there is that and then there is my knee's. No matter what I do during the day I end up sore. I can spend all day sitting and end up sore. So it takes a lot out of me. And like my wife says she can handle me getting really sore if it is from doing somethingwith or for her and the boys. She just doesn't like it if I end up sore from work. Which is fair enough. Yes I have the physical injury but she has been there with me for the entire 4 years of it!!

Now as Kamal put it, a few others have said it in messages of support and I knew it as well what you guys have done for me in the last 2 or 3 days is really only going to take the pressure off for maybe up to a month. I'm not going to have this all the time and I'm not going to keep asking you wonderful trannie's for money. It was an embarrasing thing to do in the first place. What would be people's thoughts if I were to do it on a wider scale? Say an add in a few of the papers around the country. Do you guys think it would work? Only asking for a couple of dollars each from people. If so how would I write it, which papers do you think I should use and in what part of the paper should I put it? Obviously wouldn't give out my bank acc details but would you use paypal or something like it? Would anyone be willing to give me a hand? Should I have something drawn up to say people will be paid back as soon as I can?

thommo

Is that a silly idea or should I give it a crack.

That is a silly idea, come on Thommo, there are thousands of people like you. You are here in a closed community, ok, and although people will talk, there's only a few that actually know you.

You might put yourself for ridicule in Canberra, which is in some ways a small community, and a lot of people know each other.

Even your friends here are going to ask why aren't you moving on and helping yourself. We all have a story to tell mate, but mostly we just get on with it. I will be shocked if anyone would agree to you putting a notice in the paper.

And mate really, Lets say 1000 people did give you $20 bucks each. Do you understand the logistics of paying that back. If in fact you got in a position to pay back, you better take that money and pay off your creditors. $100k you said...that did not suddenly occur, it's a serious problem, going on over a period of time.

There are those that will say you need your arse kicked, but as of now, the people above are trying to be reasonable. But you do realize that there are less than 100 active members on this board currently, and more than half of them probably don't read in this section.

Mate in the ACT, there are talented musicians busking for money around Civic, Dickson, Manuka shops, some of them pull in more than $50 a day because that's all they have. And they don't have 100k credit accrued.

I don't want to rant on saying this and that, However, wake up soon. A second job is a drop in the bucket if you haven't drastically reduced expenditures.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Fair enough it's a silly idea. I'll just give it a miss. Just so you are aware what made me think about it was a system called crowd funding. It is Internet based and people use it for starting up a business, saving for a sporting trip to represent their state, medical expenses and a heap of different things. I just thought of using the papers for something different. For the record I never said $100k was my debt. I said the $100k is what I've missed out on over the last 4 years through loss of overtime, extra childcare etc.

Don't worry about me having to wake up soon. I actually had my best day today. The best day mentally that I've had in the last 4 years. But as I sit here not being able to sleep cause I'm sore I read your post and realise how stupid I am for even contemplating it.

And as far as anyone saying I need my arse kicked. Gee thanks. Well anyone that wants to tell me that go right ahead. I don't see why I need my arse kicked. But I guess you do.

I would like to say one last big thank you to everyone that has helped me out over the last few days. If I'm being an idiot for suggesting anything that I've written here I apologise.

As a family we have stripped everything back as far as we can. 4 years ago I was competing(for a huge amount of fun and laughs in the mop to bop) in tris, playing with my kids, on track for a great career and as fit and healthy as I could be physically, mentally and financially.

That changed in March 2011 and now I sit here in debt, in pain, extremely depressed to the point where I always thought I knew what depression was but until now had no idea. If only you knew how much it hurt me to start this thread with people I only know via a keyboard.

I'm sorry I put that silly idea up there.

Edited by thommo

I think the idea of supporting need through crowd sourcing is a fine idea. Governments seem to have lost the will to manage inequality. Having said that you have to be careful about how you set it up.

Maybe an NGO assisting but even lots of the charities have lost their way when it comes to helping people

Thommo, firstly let me know if my eft didn't go through, I'm having some PC issues at work and didn't get a notification if it going through as I usually do.

Secondly, I think I speak for a lot of people in saying that while we are happy to support you as a community member here, if it's someone I don't know I usually like to see some form of effort or gimmick when forking over a few $$.

Maybe try and think of a way to both highlight your plight and raise a few bucks along the way. Sure a crowdfunding thing may work but you will need to stand out. Offer people something in return. Offer to roll a marble with your nose 1 metre for every $$ donated and finish at the front door of the dept that handles your compo claim. Could raise a few $$ and get the media on your case.

Thommo, firstly let me know if my eft didn't go through, I'm having some PC issues at work and didn't get a notification if it going through as I usually do.

Secondly, I think I speak for a lot of people in saying that while we are happy to support you as a community member here, if it's someone I don't know I usually like to see some form of effort or gimmick when forking over a few $$.

Maybe try and think of a way to both highlight your plight and raise a few bucks along the way. Sure a crowdfunding thing may work but you will need to stand out. Offer people something in return. Offer to roll a marble with your nose 1 metre for every $$ donated and finish at the front door of the dept that handles your compo claim. Could raise a few $$ and get the media on your case.

Troubles are the gimmicks are to raise for a specific charity, not so much your own plight. I,E the fellow that rode around Australia in a Uniccle for his sister who had cancer. Peoples whose houses burn downs and they have lost everything people will give. I just don't know if you plight, as bad as it is for you may get attacked. In this forum, maybe a garagesales with proceeds to help you may be the way to go. Everyone donates some old gear and send to your place and you run the sale.

Ok just so everyone is up to date. The below names have shown up in my account online as of 1300hrs today.

BarryBevan

MattS

Tortoise

Trinube

Derny Driver

Oompa Loompa

Ten pints

Goughy

Katz

Catherine Breese

So thanks again everyone

• Like 2

Just for the record, 'Catherine Breese' is my other half, as in she's Mrs Go Easy. The name came about as everyone calls me Breezey, and a good mate years ago would always be saying 'Go Easy Breezey'! Just a bit of Trannies Trivia (and you folks thought that with a user name like that I didn't take my training and racing seriously :lol:).

There used to be a great thread on here a few years ago about how people came up with their user names. There were some weird ones!

I'm in, and Katz and others who are doing it a bit tough at the moment I've thrown a couple of dollars into the kitty for you guys as well.

Anyway, I have good news. Yesterday morning I interviewed for a 6 month contract role, which may be extended to 12...

Excellent news Katz.

Given this recent development, Thommo is there any chance of getting the extra $50 that I threw in for Katz back... :lol::lol::lol:

Nah, just kidding!

I've just been reading through a few of the other comments and advice on this thread. There's some great ideas, and there's some hard truths.

I can't offer much in regard to any financial or legal advice, but I do know a little bit about being content and happy. As I've said before on here a few times, 'A rich man is not always the one who has the most, it can also be the one who needs the least'.

I live my life with minimum costs, I have a very cheap bike and I wear and use a lot of very cheap gear. It does the same job. Instead of paying a lot of money to go to a football game, I'll pass a ball around with the kids and then watch the delayed telecast later in the comfort of my own home, with people around me that I want to have around me. I still go to the odd football game, but only if it's a special day out with friends and family, and definitely only when I can afford it.

It's not that I don't spend any money... I like to think I'm fairly generous and that I live a great life. I'm just careful of where I spend my money, that's all.

What I have witnessed on this site is some amazingly generous people reaching out to someone who needs a hand. I didn't so much see my donation as being a way to solve your financial woes, I saw it as a way of offering support to someone who's problems and issues I could relate to. You have many good friends on here and most of those you have probably never even met, and that is worth more than all the money in the world.

Good luck with it all, I'm sure there will still be many challenges ahead and I certainly wish you well. Just make sure you work out what's important in life, and then do your best to keep it.

If anything, my wife is the truly amazing one because when I asked her to make a Direct Debit payment (of what for us is a fairly substantial amount) to this person on the Interweb that I've never even met before, she didn't even bat an eyelid, she just did it. I'm a very lucky man!

• Like 5

Im in for $50 too thommo. Will do it tomorrow. Gift, no payback.

I dont know u from a bar of soap, but trannies is a community.

I also have a truckload of debt - around 30,000 plus mortgage. But thats my position and im comfortable with it. I play balance transfer football between 3 cc's to keep interest below 2% and im making headway. I still race and buy new stuff. Thats how i choose to live. But i also have no kids. Not a great income but i make do. Sacrifices in other areas.

Those non mortgage debts are killers, store cards, car debt if it is killing you is a luxury. I say this with a GTI on loan. Back before we were married and could not get on the housing market I had to have a serious look at my wife to be and I spending habits.

She liked store cards and I liked a drink and punt. Seems minor at the time, but I would budget $200- $300 for a night out as me and the lads hit the grog and the pokies. Just stopped it (not saying anyone here is doing this mind you) and saved for the house.

Now I know we still waste to much and I wish I could channel go easy's approach, but I am lucky enough to be able to take the winston churchill approach which is there is no spending problem that can't be solved by getting more revenue. But that will change so I need to be prepared.

Reading this makes me realise I have it pretty good and I'm not grateful for what I have.

I reckon the business model to solve this is a not for profit debt consolidation, basically buy all these debts and service them charging only costs.

• Like 1

Definitely all the advice on here is spot on. I didn't sleep the night I last replied to Kamal so when I did I was pretty tired and I thinks that's why it came out quite bitchy. So apologies for that.

Go Easy I do agree with what you have said and know what you are saying.

Rat dog and The Turtle thanks for your donations. Yours have also shown up and I really do appreciate them. You are too kind.

Katz that is awesome news for you. I'm so happy for you.

Lastly Nealo it is all great advice. I really am just overwhelmed by it all and very appreciative.

I hadn't told my wife about this till last night. She was speechless. She couldn't believe that people that hadn't met me in person could do this and be so generous. She like me can't not do anything to pay it back. So we are going to Pay it Forward as soon as we get a chance to do it.

Definitely all the advice on here is spot on. I didn't sleep the night I last replied to Kamal so when I did I was pretty tired and I thinks that's why it came out quite bitchy. So apologies for that.

Rat dog and The Turtle thanks for your donations. Yours have also shown up and I really do appreciate them. You are too kind.

Lastly Nealo it is all great advice. I really am just overwhelmed by it all and very appreciative.

I hadn't told my wife about this till last night. She was speechless. She couldn't believe that people that hadn't met me in person could do this and be so generous. She like me can't not do anything to pay it back. So we are going to Pay it Forward as soon as we get a chance to do it.

Mate, please don't pay it back, it's all small and token take it as a very small hand up, don't let paying this money back be an anchor on moving on the rest of it.

If you are really keen to pay it back and you are at Port, Husky or anywhere else just tell me I am looking good while my run disintegrates into 6 min K pace

A lesson I learnt a long time ago was never lend what you can't afford to lose. I'm not expecting anything back.

No matter what your intentions, forget about paying it back - it's just another thing to worry about. When you get back on your feet, lend a hand to someone who's worse off than you.

And listen to the advice, as much as it hurts to think about it, I think you need to get out of your house/mortgage and rent until you get established again.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hey, so the other thread had me remembering this one.

I see you are still on Trannies (pretty recently too).

Howd ya go? Are you making headway with your situation?