What's the "coolest" road helmet

I'm in the market for a new helmet and want something that is really well ventilated and keeps the noggin cool on hot days. I already use a specialized evade for racing and whilst it's ok for ventilation, I prefer something really ventilated for training and long rides in the hot summer.

Thoughts?

The specalized one the top of the range will check what it is called when I get home. So much ventilation compared to my bontrager and giro I refuse to wear it in the winter.

Prevail :)

And earlier model before that it was the Specialized 2D Works. Get the latest model 2014/2015 as they've improved the internal support/webbing system.

A design feature is a big forehead vent aka "Mega Mouthport" - as well as provding the airflow it blasts the sweat dry before it runs into your eyes. That was the major win for me, as much as the cooling. Only downside I've find is that with thinning hair the top vents are big enough to allow scalp patch burns :)

Friend of mine bought one recently at Hampton Cycles (I think) near half price, last generation model (which has some slight drawbacks), and unfashionable/unpopular colour. I bought the current model just before Xmas to replace one that was car boot damaged (sigh). Full price $300+. Haven't ever seen much discounting on those helmets, in part due to Aus safety sticker (if that matters to you). I bought near new one of ebay (the booted one).

Prevail :)

And earlier model before that it was the Specialized 2D Works. Get the latest model 2014/2015 as they've improved the internal support/webbing system.

A design feature is a big forehead vent aka "Mega Mouthport" - as well as provding the airflow it blasts the sweat dry before it runs into your eyes. That was the major win for me, as much as the cooling. Only downside I've find is that with thinning hair the top vents are big enough to allow scalp patch burns :)

Agreed. I wear a heatsweat head band to deal with potential scalp patch burns. The wicking effect of the material doesn't seem to increase heat, especially with the Prevail's ventilation.

I've got the Specialized Propero 2. Comfiest helmet that I tried on in the shop so I bought it. When I buy another helmet, which won't be to far away, I will probably get the Prevail.

I also have an Evade and a Propero 2 which is the model below the Prevail, which has the same shape and the same features as the Prevail but is maybe 20-30 grams or so heavier.

What I can't understand is that the Prevail is approx $300 whilst the Propero2 is $150... there really seems to be a huge price step up to get the top model.

prior to doing the IM in Malaysia years ago I was given a Met Stradivarius, which unfortunately got totalled in a a big stack a few years ago... now that was the best hot weather, heavy sweaters helmet ever.

I also have an Evade and a Propero 2 which is the model below the Prevail, which has the same shape and the same features as the Prevail but is maybe 20-30 grams or so heavier.

What I can't understand is that the Prevail is approx $300 whilst the Propero2 is $150... there really seems to be a huge price step up to get the top model.

prior to doing the IM in Malaysia years ago I was given a Met Stradivarius, which unfortunately got totalled in a a big stack a few years ago... now that was the best hot weather, heavy sweaters helmet ever.

Do you find the propero much cooler than the evade?

Do you find the propero much cooler than the evade?

Gunsbuns,

I wouldn't say that it's MUCH cooler than the Evade, maybe slightly cooler. The Evade has surprisingly good ventilation given the number of vents, but you'll want to be moving at a swift rate to generate the airflow

The Evade is my tri helmet that I race in, the chin straps & head cradle ( Don't know the technical name ) is less adjustable on the Evade than any other helmet I've used.

So for training, everyday riding or heading to the hills of the Snowy Mtns in summer, the Propero 2 is my first choice.

for any tris, from club tri to Kona, the Evade is what I'm using.

also, regardless of what helmet I use, as a shiny top dude, I always use a Halo Head Band to control the sweat from pouring into my eyes

Thanks for the info. Maybe propero will suffice so I'll take a look at both. At 94ishkg the few grams difference will hardly be noticeable. The only way I'll be wearing my evade at kona will be as a weird looking spectator or pissed in a bar one night! No shiny top for me which does have a sometime disadvantage with insulation on hot days - hence the OP

• 2 weeks later...

Got the prevail. The 'Kevlar ' cover was just too good to refuse:)

Anyway, it's really very light and great ventilation. Much less sweat in eyes now so whilst far from cheap, the 'coolness' and protectiveness are hard to fault. As ferris beuller says, if you can afford it....