Australia's Toughest Triathlon

Elite Energy are in the early stages of producing a multisport festival in the NSW Snowy Mountains. The premier event will be Australia's Toughest Triathlon finishing on Australia's highest peak. We are searching for a branding that is suitable for such an event. We would prefer to keep the word "man" out of it. eg Mountain Man. The premier event will be approx. 3 / 140 / 35 and we would love to hear your ideas, your thoughts (good and negative), and also let us know a name we can call the inaugural event. The toughest (so they say) triathlon in the world is Norseman, so we are keen to mimic some of the prestige this event gathers with a limited field and what you earn at the end. Love to hear your ideas. If your name is used, you will get a FREE entry to the first years event or one other Elite Energy Event you wish to participate in.

I reckon just something like the names of the start and fininsh towns as mentioned above

EG punka to parra or something like that, has to have a ring to it though

Defernatly don't go down the MAN route EG snowman or simular

Cheers

Ivp

Sounds great. People have been calling for something like this for a while so it will be interesting to see if they're willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Best of luck with it.

Spot on downsey

If the numbers are set at about 100 or so then it will become and epic but the distances would need to be longer (maybe do that course twice or three times

At those distances mentioned it wouldn't even be touching the sides of triple tri unless you are doing it in winter on the top of kosi (this would be good for my fatbike)

Cheers

IVP

Spot on downsey

If the numbers are set at about 100 or so then it will become and epic but the distances would need to be longer (maybe do that course twice or three times

At those distances mentioned it wouldn't even be touching the sides of triple tri unless you are doing it in winter on the top of kosi (this would be good for my fatbike)

Cheers

IVP

Gotta make money to pay for it though ? Need a few 100 at least

The distances will be guided by the daylight hours we have to finish (safely) and get back down the mountain. Love to have a FULL distance event but authorities wont allow you on the mountain after dark.

Make sure there is a reserve day in case the weather turns bad. Just had the Bogong to Hotham cancelled on the weekend. Also set a qualification standard and clear cutoffs to widen the weather window.

Can't wait for this one!!!

The Alpine Assault

The Sky Race

Race to the top

Tri in the Sky

High country Hell Razor

My only question is with distances that close to a full distance race (eg lake you could easily add 800m, run another 7km and there at lots of amazing road and climbs to add the extra 40km) why not make it the full distance. If your going to push it as the hardest triathlon don't shortchange yourself. One of the iconic things about Norseman and Celtman is that they are at least Iron distance or longer (eg bike leg in Celtman is ~200km).

I agree that with distances that length people will be able to argue that Triple Tri is still the toughest Triathlon in Australia. I have been waiting for the Australian equivalent to Norse/Swiss/Celtman to come here and this is almost it. Make it iconic and competive to these other races.

The distances will be guided by the daylight hours we have to finish (safely) and get back down the mountain. Love to have a FULL distance event but authorities wont allow you on the mountain after dark.

Consider adding a pacer requirement to the run leg like Norse/Swiss/Celtman and you might be able to extend the times out. I know that The Coast2Kosci race has people ascending Kosci in the dark. But they also must have a pacer with them.

I agree that with distances that length people will be able to argue that Triple Tri is still the toughest Triathlon in Australia. I have been waiting for the Australian equivalent to Norse/Swiss/Celtman to come here and this is almost it. Make it iconic and competive to these other races.

Agree

I think if your going to go tough, go tough not half arse it has to be tough to attract the athletes your aiming at

If it's abit hard the "normal" IMers won't come , but if it's not tough enough you won't get the hard corers into it either

I understand the lighting requirements but surely that's only for the bike, that could be something iconic about this race, the run starts when it gets dark, if you bike fast you get a longer rest

Limit numbers , charge ALOT to enter and make it FFF hard

Not gunna work other wise

Cheers

Ivp

SMS - Snowy Mountain Slaughter, Snowy Madness Session,

SVS - Snowy Violation Session

STS - Snowy Tri Session

KISS- Keep It Simple Snowy

PITA- Pain In The Alps

PITS- Pain In The Snowy

POP- Pleasure Or Pain

35k run will limit entries if as you say you have a limit on daylight hours.

Go 30k if you can.

Have a finishers medal that doubles as a bottle opener. I know 2 bays does this, but its a farkin great idea.

I like POP - - Pleasure Or Pain

If you lead with the distances then it will always be compared to a full distance race and if the distances are less then it will automatically be discounted on the 'hardness scale'. So how about something to do with the vertical m's gained? For example, if you climbed 4350m across the course then it becomes 'the 4350'. IM mel on the other hand would be 'the 250'....;) (that's just for IVP by the way!)

• Like 1

I think people get too hung up on the whole distance thing. It's not ironman why should it be that distance?

Make it whatever distance works best.

If I had some hills around here to train on I'd be very keen to do this one as it stands now.

• Like 2

Hell On The Hill ( I know it's not a hill but hey) or

Point to Peak

I would love to have a go at this one. Think the distances are fine. Yes it's not IM distance but then it's not IM is it.

Call it "The Abominable X-Tri" ... Finishers get a Yeti/Snowman medal and some ice cream.... :D

Snow Monster Tri

Drop Bear Tri

Snow Breaker Tri

Arctic Man

Snow Ball Tri

I think the distance should be iron-distance like, that way, it can rival Norseman etc

Edited by Supamau

How about 'That Flat Fast Triathlon to Brag About'.

Advertise it as a mystery race - just turn up at Acton Bus Exchange at say 4 a.m. race day & shuffle competitors into waiting buses with blacked out windows. ...

Reckon you'd get a full field and the look on the competitors face when you dumped them in Jindabyne and revealed the course discription at the pre race briefing would be priceless!

Edited by Andrew #1