The good news thread

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got called into the managers office at the start of night shift, shook my hand and said well done, if you want it you will now be a full time employee at Rio Tinto starting 1/3/20.     said I

Just heard from a company I had a 2nd interview with last week.  They are progressing to offer stage. 😃

I got released back into the care of my gp today and no longer in the care of the mental health dept at the hospital - it’s been a long road but am now seeing good progress.  Can change at any time of

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Well we have finished moving house and Nicole And I have managed to do it without having one single argument and we remain married. That’s a massive win 😂

Well done guys!

• Like 1

Received a care package from mum and dad. New work shoes and a going out pair for special occasions.  Have never been able to find original double pluggas in WA.  So mum and dad always keep me freshly stocked up from over east.

16A4C81F-127B-4BB7-8AFB-14800BE607A4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The good news:

Fishing is allowed 🐟 🐟🐟Just announced on the news.

We all still have our jobs....for now.  The Mrs job is a little shaky though.

Our eldest changed jobs about 4 weeks ago.  Her old work has just announced a 20% pay cut for all staff.  On the pittance she is paid, a 20% drop in income in Sydney would have been very difficult.

Her new boyfriend helped her buy a desk so she could work from home at his place - could be a keeper at last?

Our water supply dam is up to 50% from 30%.

I'm nowhere near bored - between work, building models, tying flies & exercising, all good as gold.

No real problems with groceries.

No difficulty social distancing out here & still living a fairly normal life.

The bad news:

Working from home means I'm doing more hours.

The youngest has been busting her arse for 4yrs for the July Olys, and now has to go another year.

No swimming means I'm doing too much on my suspect knees.

The local dam is still closed to all water activities (drought related not Corona).

My wife & I share a table at home for work & she types too farkin loud 😣

Retirement plans shot down in flames.

• Like 2
Guest Jim Shortz
7 hours ago, more said:

That looks like a new bike on that finger.. 

Actually... 

Ring is half the Grail... LOL 

But she loves it. 👍👍😊

Edited by Jim Shortz
Guest Jim Shortz
2 hours ago, KieranR said:

The video was the best thing I’ve seen online in ages mate. The Rowland’s are over the moon for you J and Mooj.  Nicole cried happy tears for you when I showed her the video!

Cheers lad. 

Keep in touch. 

You may need to keep a pair of budgie smugglers clean 😎✌️

• 2 weeks later...

Finding my  COVID 19 cooking mojo. Today Torres Strait mud crab pasta. I wore my Nanna's apron. When I spoke to my mum tonight, it would have been her 91st birthday today. A nice touch. 

20200418_175739.jpg

20200418_183720.jpg

IMG-20200418-WA0013.jpg

• Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...

Last Monday this happened (photo 1) and yesterday we got to this (photo 2).

The funny side is that I did a partial renovation last year but didn't get to do lighting. Guess what.....now I do. 😁

20200427_203432.jpg

20200504_143236.jpg

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, skel said:

Last Monday this happened (photo 1) and yesterday we got to this (photo 2).

The funny side is that I did a partial renovation last year but didn't get to do lighting. Guess what.....now I do. 😁

20200427_203432.jpg

20200504_143236.jpg

I have to ask, how on earth did that happen?! Plasterboard shouldn't just fall of the roof 😮

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I was going to ask the same thing. Water damage or clumsy feet @skel?

LOL.....a slow leak from upstairs plumbing.  Must have been going for some time as the plaster board was quite wet over a wide area, but there had been no evidence of it occurring (I would notice weird marks on the ceiling).    We heard a weird dripping sound, and when i turned the light on it was right above the sink (lucky so we could hear it so clearly. Within 10 min it was coming down.

My neighbours happen to be a carpenter, plumber and electrician.  Lucky they are our approved body corp "go to" people (hence the quick repair action). 

Anyway, things happen for a reason....new lights can now be installed and I have four weeks leave starting from next week (time to clean....) 

Edited by skel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, skel said:

LOL.....a slow leak from upstairs plumbing.  Must have been going for some time as the plaster board was quite wet over a wide area, but there had been no evidence of it occurring (I would notice weird marks on the ceiling).    We heard a weird dripping sound, and when i turned the light on it was right above the sink (lucky so we could hear it so clearly. Within 10 min it was coming down.

My neighbours happen to be a carpenter, plumber and electrician.  Lucky they are our approved body corp "go to" people (hence the quick repair action). 

Anyway, things happen for a reason....new lights can now be installed and I have four weeks leave starting from next week (time to clean....) 

water is the worst

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Am I off the hook now? Can I go & do stupid stuff?

For the foreseeable future at least. I have another meeting with the transplant team in 2 weeks and I’m expecting they’ll just want to keep testing and wait and see what happens.

• Like 7

Our house settled Monday.  We are now living full time in our van.

Original plan was to head off travelling full time late 2021, however due to uncertainty around funding for my current role there is no guarantee of contract extension post Sept 2020, so we might be heading off sooner than expected.

Was sad to see the house go, as it was finally at the point where we had everything we ever wanted, but gotta say the feeling of living with absolutely ZERO debt is pretty good!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Ayto said:

Our house settled Monday.  We are now living full time in our van.

Original plan was to head off travelling full time late 2021, however due to uncertainty around funding for my current role there is no guarantee of contract extension post Sept 2020, so we might be heading off sooner than expected.

Was sad to see the house go, as it was finally at the point where we had everything we ever wanted, but gotta say the feeling of living with absolutely ZERO debt is pretty good!

It’s a good feeling isn’t it. Well done. Guess we will be seeing pics and post from the road from you two.

Nah, potentially not yet mate.

The original plan was to hang around here and see out my work contract until late 2021, but the "Rona may have cocked that up with no confirmed funding post Sept 2020.

If refunded we will hang around as per original plan. If not refunded, and restrictions open up enough to travel freely, we will take off late this year instead.

See what happens

• 4 weeks later...

Just paid bond and first fortnight rent (definitely not the good news part of the process)  for a place down at Southport.

6 months renting initially, hopefully the start of a longer term working sea change.

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Tyno said:

Just paid bond and first fortnight rent (definitely not the good news part of the process)  for a place down at Southport.

6 months renting initially, hopefully the start of a longer term working sea change.

@Tyno got a job sorted there or doing the Bombay Express back to Brisbane until you find something..

Wish I had the balls to do this and move to Mooloolaba..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

@Tyno got a job sorted there or doing the Bombay Express back to Brisbane until you find something..

Wish I had the balls to do this and move to Mooloolaba..

Partner has job at the Spit.

I'm still Kedron based, but WFH for now.

I'll be lobbying hard to have reduced in office requirements.

Would have to be early starts in the car though and hopefully WFH Fridays otherwise that will SUCK!

Hope to avoid the sparrows fart from Helensvale if I possibly can.

47 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Partner has job at the Spit.

I'm still Kedron based, but WFH for now.

I'll be lobbying hard to have reduced in office requirements.

Would have to be early starts in the car though and hopefully WFH Fridays otherwise that will SUCK!

Hope to avoid the sparrows fart from Helensvale if I possibly can.

QFES?

I think post covid there'll be a lot of people angling for minimum face time in office..

My man has an offer for a role outside of toxic workplace, but its a large cut. But I'm thinking if I calculate the rate on the hours he does now vs what he will do there + the nightmares, it will be about the same. 😂

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, MissJess said:

My man has an offer for a role outside of toxic workplace, but its a large cut. But I'm thinking if I calculate the rate on the hours he does now vs what he will do there + the nightmares, it will be about the same. 😂

If it is a truly toxic work place then a pay cut to leave is well worth it!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Toolish said:

If it is a truly toxic work place then a pay cut to leave is well worth it!

Yeah, my my standpoint it seems to be quite toxic, no training, no documentation, no assistance, left on his own to manage, has been told to not call on longer term employees OS to ask questions, no adjustments to hours to deal with meetings that are late in the evening due to time zones, expected to not count flying time as work time, managers who (I have heard on the phone) being aggressive, he's been yelled at, and chastised for forgetting his phone, and being 2 minutes late for a meeting when there were issues with skype for business, being blamed for not being responsive when citrix desktop dies or crawls. 

I've already done some checks (thanks to a friend) on the place and manager that has extended the offer, seems pretty good.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah, my my standpoint it seems to be quite toxic, no training, no documentation, no assistance, left on his own to manage, has been told to not call on longer term employees OS to ask questions, no adjustments to hours to deal with meetings that are late in the evening due to time zones, expected to not count flying time as work time, managers who (I have heard on the phone) being aggressive, he's been yelled at, and chastised for forgetting his phone, and being 2 minutes late for a meeting when there were issues with skype for business, being blamed for not being responsive when citrix desktop dies or crawls. 

I've already done some checks (thanks to a friend) on the place and manager that has extended the offer, seems pretty good.

That does sound horrible MJ but unfortunately, the bit I've bolded seems pretty standard practice these days. :(

Edited by FatPom
6 hours ago, Surfer said:

Fantastic news FP 👏

Thanks surfer and everyone else. Pretty excited. (not least for the fact that I can spend some money now!).  Not counting any chickens yet as I don't receive the written offer until Monday and I don't know what it is. (I know the range).

The commute is longer than I wanted but not massively if I catch the train. (which is a PITA) because I have to drive and park (££££) at Winchester station.  But it looks like 2 days WFH at least will be the new std when the office does go back to normal and it's not like I can be too fussy these days!

• Like 2