Pregnancy and IM

Before getting pregnant, my missus would struggle to run 10km, never rode a bike faster than 20km/h and couldn't swim 100m freestyle.

Since having the baby, these stats have not changed. No chance of making the 17 hour cut off.

And there's the known versus unknown.

IM is a known commodity. Known course, lots of prep time.

Pregancy I would imagine would be a lot of unknowns, as to how your body will react for the 9 months and then how long and painful labour is. So many variations. You couldn't prepare for it! Lots more risk too. And fewer ways to mitigate those risks.

I have done IM's but not been pregnant. Seen friends though, have incredibly tough times for 9 months,weeks on end in hospital for risk issues and horrific births. Yikes!

I've done one and half of the other. Seeing as you can't be half pregnant, I'll leave it to you to work out which.

No comparison. A good pregnancy is not within your control. Luckily mine was. Training is entirely controllable.

No matter how well prepared, labour is unpredictable. Mine was OK on the scale. But, sorry, it was 14 hours, so I'm not a real mum. If you are well prepared, race day should go smoothly and mostly within the bounds of known outcomes.

The product is incomparable. A real live new person. Or a feeling of self aggrandisement and a bit of tin on a ribbon.

Not sure if its allowed under forum rules.......

but I'm pretty sure that heaps of people who have babies do so with the assistance of drugs. of course, not all of them are on the gear, but i've been in labour wards were doctors are blatantly offering the sutff.

• Like 1

Not sure if its allowed under forum rules.......

but I'm pretty sure that heaps of people who have babies do so with the assistance of drugs. of course, not all of them are on the gear, but i've been in labour wards were doctors are blatantly offering the sutff.

Some may say some people doing an IM are also being assisted in that way. Or maybe they were on some delusional drugs when they decided to enter.

To the OP, if having the discussion with your wife, admit pregnancy is harder, or you will find your training time and discretionary spending severely limited

Hell yeah. If that's the nature of the enquiry just fold. Nothing any male ever does will ever compare with childbirth. We are the infinitely weaker sex in every regard. Note that I am not being sarcastic. You chicks rock!

but i've been in labour wards were doctors are blatantly offering the sutff.

What else do you expect them to do? Slide it across in a brown paper bag?

If I was the OP, I would simply agree that they are different and if pressed, fold!

edit: Match with Stikman!!

Edited by Steno

My first labour was approximately 3.5hrs and my second 1hr. I had no morning sickness and was able to exercise the whole way through both. I reckon ironman is way harder than that.

Dealing with 2 teenage daughters though.... would much rather be doing an ironman :)

• Like 1

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but its harder having a baby... I have had 6 babies and am coming up to my 12 th ironman.. Ironman day is like a holiday( you have people looking after you all day). Training you get tired but that can be fixed( by sleeping, resting and eating well) . You get tired in pregnancy and there is nothing that fixes it, that baby is sucking all your energy out..then when you have a baby( which is bloody hard and you can't opt out if it gets too much!) you never feel like you catch up on sleep.. It's much easier training , racing and recovering for ironman..so maybe don't start comparing with your partner about the two... It's only going to end in tears!!

• Like 2

Transfixed, it sounds as though your wife needs to be a lot more understanding of what you go through. After all, there are plenty of similarities between the two ........ back ache, tired legs, breathlessness, swelling, nausea, throwing up, the feeling that at any time you may lose control of bodily functions, etc.

Time spent feeling this way?

Training & IM: 40 weeks x 15 hours per week + IM event @ 10 hours = 610 hours

Pregnancy: 40 weeks x 20 hours per day (excludes the 4 hours of any actual sleep she may be lucky to get each day) = 5,600 hours

Thank you all for your views. Love both sides of the arguments. I actually showed my wife and she also found some humour in it as well as a greater appreciation for the hours put into Im. She loved catcam's comparison. At the time of my original post we were actually in hospital and she was in active labour at 11am. Gave birth to our fist child at 8.53pm. She's definitely my IM. I know have a greater appreciation for what pregnancy, labour and post labour.

• Like 2