Training Ride 24 Jan.

My son fell on the floor under my watch on Friday PM, he was ok, but I had to skip the club ride Saturday.

Had a good sleep Saturday night. So set off a bit late aiming to drop by our president's bike shop, no real plan in my head. But I missed the club ride, so I was keen to do something.

I went out on water only, And a few hard sweets in the pocket. I rode the 14 km down to the shop, but it was still closed. I did another 6 km** down the highway, then turned left, going west towards the coast, still on tarmac, but a secondary road. Went down a few more km, then hit a well known hill, goes on a bit, but not more than 400m. First good sign, I did not drop the chain down. So went over the top and down, all the way down to the port (Port Salmogue), but veered left and got on another secondary road, then it suddenly became dirt. Now going more or less north, away from my home base, which would be south or south east. Very soon it became a stiff winding hill, couldn't yet see the top. But too much heavy loose gravel and I had to dismount, but saw the line I wanted to take, so went back down and had another try. Got a bit further, had to dismount again..took me 3 tries to get up, and when I got on the hard packed dirt, the hill was rideable. So immediately on top and no idea where I'm going. Magnificent view to my right, down to the ocean, but I was riding away from that.

**Raced 2 kids on the highway, and I knew I was strong today.

So now on top. The road narrows and suddenly become single track, easily rideable so I keep going forward, now the road stops altogether and I'm on hard dried mud with cracks, and it's heavily rutted with cracks....but ok, they used to flood all available land to plant rice, and now it's not the planting season but the field has dried, and it covers the road, so I get that, No solitary person in sight, so I ride on, then the track and the road reappear. So now I see the ocean below me to the left, so using internal navigation I can follow the coast, but I'm still up top (for my club mates, Salmogue, Sabang, Daclapan, Turod...and on from there). Now I get near some houses, but no sign of life, but ride on, fairly confident now with the route.

Somewhere along the line got up to a tower, antenna, and then started to go down. Been riding over 2 hours, now the road goes into a sharp descent....immediately recall The Keeper's tips, but I can't react, there's gravel and rocks and it's just too steep. Start down, but safety first, I have to dismount and walk a bit...then it's ok, but it's too steep to get on, so walk a bit more, and get back on..finally learned to keep at least one foot unlocked, it's better than having to click out suddenly. So I get back on and have roll down, and now there's more houses, so I confirm directions and keep going, down to sea level. Hitting tarmac and now turn right and will follow the road, asked another guy and he said 20km...but I think he meant 20 mins.

So I ride this winding road around**, and it leaves the coast, and eventually I get back to the original secondary road, and will now ride home. Right? No way, this is excellent training and I'm getting up close to 3 hours and I still want more. Still on water and sucking the lollies...Halls.

**I race 3 more kids here, but I'm in pro mode now and I drop them without ceremony.

So right turn back up the big hill and middle chain ring just rode over it. Now left turn and another coastal tour but this time going south or south east. Picked the pace here and started spinning faster, then a brief off road and 30 minutes back to San Juan, the bike shop. About, 3:30, but I will still ride home 14 km again.

Ian is now open, so stop to get my daughter's wheel. Realignment, welding, spoke adustment and a few new bolts...$2 all up. Then I stop for a $3 lunch...and it's wow...

Going on home over the 4 hr mark, closer to 5hrs, nearly 4 hrs in the saddle. And it took absolutely nothing out of me.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith
  • Like 1

Been invited to a race tomorrow. Free entry.

If I chip in $10 for fuel and $5 for food=$15, hard to refuse.

35k of trails inc 4k tarmac with 2k noted as the climb or climbs.

Dunno this place. Abra in the Cordilleras Mountains.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the Epicon Airfork by Suntour. Trying to get a 2.1 front tire on this week. I ran 2.1's initially but after a year both tires were destroyed, I went 2.0, and they are sweet on the tarmac. But on the off road, I prefer the 2.1's.

I have races the 21st and 22nd. Different locations, north and south of here.

I prefer the 1 PM start on the 22nd. As usual I don't have the course description. 37 km in a mountain area, but we will be on top, 4km tarmac, the rest described as rideable.

Sponsored by the local mayor, free entry with free food. Standard podiums with cash and awards going 5 deep I hear.

I have asked Roxi for a MTB Forum, so if anyone wants that, reply on Tri Chat.

• Like 1

I prefer the 1 PM start on the 22nd. As usual I don't have the course description. 37 km in a mountain area, but we will be on top, 4km tarmac, the rest described as rideable.

Sponsored by the local mayor, free entry with free food. Standard podiums with cash and awards going 5 deep I hear.

You don't get that in tris here in OZ

Gotta love MTBing :-)

Cheers

IVP

• Like 1

You don't get that in tris here in OZ

Gotta love MTBing :-)

Cheers

IVP

The MTB race I did yesterday had 2 kids events (A to D grade kids). These events were sponsored by the local councilor and were free. Didn't pay though (I guess). They did pay 1st to 3rd for the adult events (so I actually won my entry back).

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm happy to give Crackenback a crack!

Crackenback has a trail along the river if used will likely have you walking in spots due to some fun little rock gardens, but generally thought of as a beginners track.

Well, I did give Crackenback a crack, and I'm glad I did!

We did use the river track, and yes it did have some rock gardens, but they weren't too bad so I'm not sure if they were the ones you were talking about. In general the 15km x 2 loops MTB track was brilliant. In most places it was very smooth and well packed sandy clay. There were a few rocks and some gravily bits, but I thought it was all relatively easy riding. Lots of berms and fast flowing sections.

The 1500 Swim in Lake Crackenback was interesting with the reeds and plenty of talk about the eels etc, and the 10km Run course (3 loops) was definitely one of the toughest run courses I've ever done. The run went through several muddy creeks, across a suspension bridge, and into and downstream along Thredbo Creek.

All in all it was a great event. It probably didn't get the numbers it deserved, but perhaps having so many guns there actually scared people off - not sure. Courtney Atkinson won the guys, and Erin Densham was the first female. Either way, I had a great time both at the event and over the whole weekend. Stayed at a great place in Thredbo and even took a walk up to the top of Kosciusko - brilliant!

Plus, I also scored a pair of Age Group Silver Medals from Oceania Championships. Gotta be happy with that!

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 3