Toilet issues on a long run. Warning TMI

I used to run at night with a mate. We would run around a brand new estate while they were preparing the lots for sale. 10 minutes into the run we would duck to each side of the road and perch in the middle of a paddock/lot.

Once the pegs were put out and Lot signs were erected then we could hide behind a sign each.

Each time i did it, i kept thinking to myself of all those people who buy a new piece of land and get a photo taken with a SOLD sticker across it, only a metre or so from where a massive dog dropped a big one.

Edited by ratdog

I went through a stage when everytime I ran I would need to go to the toilet when I was running, including blood. In fact, got to the point there was only blood coming out. I went to a sports doctor and then the gastroenterologist for tests. They came up with nothing.

When at my GP for another matter we discussed it. He mentioned being dehydrated can contribute and something called caecal slap syndrome (bit of information here: http://www.nutritionstrategies.com.au/gastrointestinal-gi-conditions-in-endurance-athletes-dietary-factors-to-consider-2/ ). He also asked how much fibre I was getting in my diet. Heaps. Was having a lot of seed bread, chick peas, etc. He suggested it was cutting up my insides. Reverted to wholemeal bread, cut down / out lot of the other high fibre stuff, made sure I drank heaps of water during the day and the problem went away.

May not have anything to do with your issues but something to consider.

Kylee :)

• Like 1

its always fun to think; I can hang on' then after a while, you realize you are not going to make it and slow to a walk to minimize the urge. but when it becomes too much for walk - you are in trouble. hahaha

also, when you get closer to home you become more urgent. even getting home, and making that b-line to the toilet, it becomes oh my, "i will shit myself before i get there-race to the loo."

I have a 22km run planned for this Saturday followed by a 3km swim. I'm going to bypass the gels to see if that helps my issues, but I will need some nutrition. Suggestions? I've only ever used gels. I do have a hydration belt but it only holds about 500ml.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you suspect it's a component of the gels (such as fructose) I'd avoid honey. It has a pretty high fructose content. And fructose is actually quite a common issue.

At the chemist you can get glucagon tabs, or dextrose - just glucose/dextrose. Or even a different gel that doesn't have fructose in it, like Cadel Evans' Winners.

• Like 1