Coaches value proposition

Been having a look around and there appear to be two dominant models:

1. Have an established name, eg Macca, mark Allen and have the athletes base the value on it worked for them, they are the best, so I can only benefit from giving them money.

2. Advertise and spend a lot of time on social media with an approach of what you are doing is wrong, imply that you have all the answers, create doubt, persist with this only offering to give the knowledge once they have parted with the cash. This is also used to justify the model even if it does not deliver results, you need me more and to give me more money for success.

3. Few seem to come with a genuine message of here is how we will help you achieve a goal with a proven method.

Why do 1 and 2 work so well

They trade off name and put cash in pocket, it is a sport where people ride 10k bikes and have compression socks when they are 5 hours behind the winner.

It is a lot more about saying Macca is your coach than it is about results.

• Like 2

I'm all number 3 BB

Don't advertise and spend any money on it, and rely purely on athlete results and letting the athletes promote our business. We keep it evidence based.

Blowing wind up peoples A#$% works, but we are more concerned about keeping people around for the long term and building relationships that work.

I now have 3 coaches working for me and you probably don't even know I exist, LOL

So true trek52

fluro

Edited by fluro2au

I'm all number 3 BB

Don't advertise and spend any money on it, and rely purely on athlete results and letting the athletes promote our business. We keep it evidence based.

Blowing wind up peoples A#$% works, but we are more concerned about keeping people around for the long term and building relationships that work.

I now have 3 coaches working for me and you probably don't even know I exist, LOL

So true trek52

fluro

Is a key part doing it because you love coaching as opposed to a freil or Gordo whose primary goal is money

If you are in Brisbane the Trent (Reddog) has some awesome runs on the board. If for example you look at Noosa then he had the following results.

1st open males. open master males, 30-34 males and female, 35 females, 40 female, 60-64 males, Clydes

His message is very simple. outline your goals, Turn up and train. You will succeed. That doesn't mean you will win but you will be the best you.

They trade off name and put cash in pocket, it is a sport where people ride 10k bikes and have compression socks when they are 5 hours behind the winner.

It is a lot more about saying Macca is your coach than it is about results.

Marcel Kittel finished over 5hrs behind the winner in the Tour, pretty sure he rides a 10k bike.

• Like 1

I dont get the coach PT thing especially for age group what ever happened to just going out with your mates and training /racing ..seems every one wants to mske coin out of it theses days .seriously who pays $10 to go for a run with the so called run club..pfft

so what that someone is happy tp pay $10 to have a run with a group... whatever gets people motivated is up to them.

Sheesh, if I want to pay Mark Allen $500 per month ( BTW, I have no idea what the cost is ) for an off the shelf training plan, and I'm happy to pay that, then who the F is anyone else to critisise me....

even if I am 2 hrs slower in an IM than 5 yers ago... that's between me & my wallet to work out my value system

I mean I've seen people drive Ferrari's in peak hour traffic... no value in that is there... shuld we all be in Corollas, or Suzuki Altos

others buy $6k bikes with Di2 when a $4k bike with mechanical is equally as quick.

as you say oldschool69, "you don't get it", but the thing is, you don't have to get it.

• Like 6

so what that someone is happy tp pay $10 to have a run with a group... whatever gets people motivated is up to them.

Sheesh, if I want to pay Mark Allen $500 per month ( BTW, I have no idea what the cost is ) for an off the shelf training plan, and I'm happy to pay that, then who the F is anyone else to critisise me....

I don't like paying for group runs or rides where you're just running or riding.

If you're with a coach who actually coaches at the time, then maybe.

I am interested in looking at stuff from good coaches.

Siri has just started a TP plan, $200 for a generic HIM plan would be interested to check it out.

I dont get the coach PT thing especially for age group what ever happened to just going out with your mates and training /racing ..seems every one wants to mske coin out of it theses days .seriously who pays $10 to go for a run with the so called run club..pfft

I don't get the guy who pays $8 a beer at the pub & then complains about a $10 running session. I'm more then happy to pay $10 for swim squad, group fitness class etc.

A sandwich & water will cost me more from the local deli.

If people can charge others to "train" them and its based on their ability to market on fb and provide lollies and cakes after then that has the same outcome as someone wannabe hard @rse who thinks he is some great coach when his "runs on the board" come from very good natural AG athletes who turn up to their squad to swim with other fast people - maybe it has nothing to do with the coach themselves and they would be just as fast alone or with someone else or even faster......

The pull of an ex pro athlete will always be there and is nothing new and really not just about people throwing money - The broncos and many other football teams don't hire ex players as coaches or senior staff for their good looks......

Some coaches choose to create a niche and target the natural self driven athlete who will likely get results and allows them to build a reputation based on "success", then the others do ti for masses through getting people involved which is what many just want - they take in everyone and mass market as it gets the message out

There is no wrong in it and the precious ones should take a long look at their own times - one could always argue handing out advice on going fast when you have not is a bit rich but in that case there would be very few coaches

Coaches who are qualified for what you want out of the sport - so if you think you are fast chase one with a degree, experience and in my mind a sport science background - physio, - they seem to offer a great approach or if you just want to enjoy it then one who provides a great atmosphere and happy welcoming approach is more than qualified

Do some research folks - if you do yoga or Pilates you can be paying as much as $20 plus per session with not a lot of discount in central locations

A friend just got a pack from a fairly average studio and was wrapped to get a large pack for around $500 that work out around $12 per session - normal prices $20

So in tri for $10 normal $ bulk you are getting bargain really and if the coach is someone special then even better - in yoga it is usually just19yo wannabe model (maybe that's the problem with tri???)

I think the $10 per session stuff you need to keep in mind that you are part of or joining a club that has other benefits. Some of us like the camaraderie of a club environment, the monthly fee is a better option for the club I am part of and I think it is worth it.

For a tri club/coach or any group the monthly fees work better as people don't go every session - your weekend groups will be bigger, your summer usage more etc

So I think for tri an average club goes for $10-$12 per session and $200 per month - you do the math on it - I gets obvious why many use the mass marketing on FB and with many people happy to roll around an IM in 12 plus hours to get the towel and medal you cant blame them for paying their house off early.....What housing price crisis I hear you say....

If your struggling you are doing it wrong......

If your struggling you are doing it wrong......

The sad thing is the people that "struggle" don't realise they are doing anything wrong. And those in more fortunate circumstances are too blinded by their own self-righteousness to comprehend something like that.

For many age groupers, their key limiter is likely to be available time to train (both in terms of available hours outside of work/family commitments and then consistently repeating those hours) rather than protocol (eg how sessions are structured)?

If which case, time management is the main thing they need... (accepting that committing to work with a coach should help with this for many)

that is top 5 dumbest things you have said on here.........

It's audience appropriate. we get it, you don't like triathletes, you ridicule anyone that doesn't confirm to your self aggrandising 'definition' of what a private individual is or isn't allowed to spend their money on. Here's the news champ, nobody cares, nobody loses sleep over a guy that hasn't done an IM stating what is or isn't a good benchmark time. Some people are actually happy with their choices and don't need your 'validaition', what a concept huh!

The only 'dumb' thing on this thread is your warped sense of 'entitlement' based on what you would or wouldn't do. You occasionally have something semi readable on here, but your delivery is so misguided you miss the mark 9 times out of 10.

Try reading and absorbing posts before hitting the default 'I was a wannabe pro and you should do it like me' response.

• Like 2

If people can charge others to "train" them and its based on their ability to market on fb and provide lollies and cakes after then that has the same outcome as someone wannabe hard @rse who thinks he is some great coach when his "runs on the board" come from very good natural AG athletes who turn up to their squad to swim with other fast people - maybe it has nothing to do with the coach themselves and they would be just as fast alone or with someone else or even faster......

The pull of an ex pro athlete will always be there and is nothing new and really not just about people throwing money - The broncos and many other football teams don't hire ex players as coaches or senior staff for their good looks......

Some coaches choose to create a niche and target the natural self driven athlete who will likely get results and allows them to build a reputation based on "success", then the others do ti for masses through getting people involved which is what many just want - they take in everyone and mass market as it gets the message out

There is no wrong in it and the precious ones should take a long look at their own times - one could always argue handing out advice on going fast when you have not is a bit rich but in that case there would be very few coaches

Coaches who are qualified for what you want out of the sport - so if you think you are fast chase one with a degree, experience and in my mind a sport science background - physio, - they seem to offer a great approach or if you just want to enjoy it then one who provides a great atmosphere and happy welcoming approach is more than qualified

The thing is these squads provide what you need in many cases. which is regular training. most people will get better just by doing that. turn up and do some training!! so it is value of money for many.

I train alone due to work and family and I have enlisted the help of FittnessBuddy. I think he is in category 3 acceding to B@W. a program that is customised to my needs and that can be changed with changing life situation is ideal. I think he charges too little for what he has to offer to be honest. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have a massive marketing machine and doesn't bullshit people so may not be the most famous coach out there. But quality wise has a lot to offer especially if you can do the work on your own.