Foam rollers

Should i be using a foam roller everytime i stretch after training or is stretching enough. I have one that is sitting in the corner collecting dust and i'm curious as to whether i should be using it or not. I originally bought it as i had issues with my itb. Since then my osteo has given me a stretch to do which seems to be holding it at bay. Just wondering if i should be using it for general training. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by Jo-lene1231

This one is my favorite. I'd use it after every training session, particularly around my quads and ITB.

http://www.rumbleroller.com/foam-rollers.html

I usually take a grid roller with me when I travel as it's hollow and I can roll my pants up, but them inside, and not loose too much space in my bag (usually travel with carry on only)

http://www.tptherapy.com/Shop/Product-Viewer/The-GRID-Foam-Roller

• Like 1

Its not a bad way of looking at it that if it hurts rolling MAY be a good option but maybe there is something else ready to explode so for me it would be a wake up to book a physio who might just tell you to roll but its best to keep them in business!!!!!

You can use a roller for many things including some great stretches for your back etc so not a bad thing to have and use but if your sore and getting it out its defeats the idea of preventative maintenance....

I would use mine nearly every day, I still stretch but if the muscles feel a bit tired or tight I get the foam roller onto them and I think it helps with recovery and injury prevention. I have had itb issues that I seem to be getting over (fingers crossed) with lots of foam roller and a program from fitness buddy (thanks btw).

Stretching lengthens the muscles, but how long do they need to be. Most tri specific training is well within normal range of motion.

Rolling breaks up the muscles knots, that stretching can't usually get

Muscle pain can be an indication of tightness. It's not the end of the world. Often, roll the knot away and with it goes the pain

... at least, in my experience

• Like 1