Surprised still hasn't happened

Is there any product that your surprised still hasn't been done yet?

For me i'm surprised that Shimano hasn't come out with a power meter yet and also surprised there crankset doesn't come standard

with the ability to tell you your cadence.

I'm surprised that bike companies still have cables exposed

I'm surprised bike companies are still using aero brakes with 3 feet of cable hanging out in the wind... why do they think using a cheaper brake with less stopping power is a good idea... can they not come up with anything better

But when I see components such as front or rear lights and video camera being combined in the same unit, I'm pleasantly surprised.

The use of hidden brakes, such as under the crank is beyond me... minimal improvement in aero with reduction in function and serviceability.

i am still waiting for flying cars...but for triathlon, i am pretty happy with the watch technology of the 910;s etc. the only thing the 910 doesnt do is blow me.

Edited by Prince

we run something like that on our HPV's (recumbent tricycles) for the school kids

- some cable (mine are hydrualic) so all wheels on the same axel line are braked by the same lever (not that I personally agree with this rule - but I know why they nade it)

For me I think the 920 just added things that didn't need to be added

I would like to see a 910 update where its a full multi sport watch with great display but not so chunky and heavy

The whole disk break, aero break, rim break thing has stopped me from buying anything, new bike, new wheels

Tri bikes I doubt will ever go to disk breaks... they have gone more done the line of aero breaks which means less breaking power

there appears to be a potential for disk breaks to be going on road bikes however this will mean more wheels... for me I can't see it being worth

however will rim breaks be history or will they still control the market in 20 years from now?

There would have to be an over ride function

Some like to grind while others like to spin

I suspect it would be programmable - adjust it with a smart phone to suit your style or workout. The technology would already exist to do all of it I reckon. It would just need someone to tie it altogether. The cynic in me suspects that despite this it would be years before we saw it. They need to make squillions on Di2 first and then another killing going 'auto Di5".

There are skin sensors available with ANT capacity to measure blood glucose lactase and transmit results wirelessly. Stick on patch with Small fine wire which penetrates skin. Within a decade our Garmin will have skin temp, lactate, blood glycose, temp all displaying in real time

Edited by Parkside

Good read all of these.

Totally agree re Shimano and Power.

And with Shimano (pro) now making a tri spoke for a Sky it will be very interesting how zipp play this out. Back to the future?

I wonder if Garmin will survive 10 years. If Apple or Google turn their view that way seriously it could be game over. What if my head unit was a phone. I get home and pick up a bigger unit that is then my phone. Multiple units using same sim card type identity (no physical SIM card) sharing same data plan. Watch, bike head unit, gps in car, iPad. Small phone for pocket or large one. All integrated updated.

Edited by Mjainoz

Good read all of these.

I wonder if Garmin will survive 10 years. If Apple or Google turn their view that way seriously it could be game over. What if my head unit was a phone. I get home and pick up a bigger unit that is then my phone. Multiple units using same sim card type identity (no physical SIM card) sharing same data plan. Watch, bike head unit, gps in car, iPad. Small phone for pocket or large one. All integrated updated.

I highly doubt that Garmin will get taken over in the running/multisport/bike device caterogory by apple. They produce by far some of the best GPS devices and Timex hasn't even managed to match them. Yes they produced a new device before the new garmin came out but I can't see that coming close at all to Garmin in terms of overall sales and quality of product. Garmin has liiterally nailed it on the head.

One day I'm going to get serious about this sport and get me one of them fandangled gizmos that attaches to your handlebars and tells you how fast you are going... :shy:.

Maybe then I'll be a real triathlete :smartarse:.

Really?

No speedo?

That's cool, I'd love to go sans tech. Can't let go of it though.

How do you measure your training? Time?

Cheers

I reckon Nokia thought that about phones. Not saying it will happen, but things can change rapidly.

I think the difference though might be the markets

The phone market is massive... I can't imagine the ratio of mobile phones to such gadgets that we might think apple or google might bring

The triathlon market is tiny in comparison. which means little profit.

I think they could do very well producing such products however don't think its worth their time and money

Ten years ago we were all probably saying that Polar had the industry wrapped up for a long time to come.

I suppose the thing we don't really know is what technology will be able to achieve next. The "problem" with GPS is it is "free" and noone is making any money on the delivery of it, so I think there will be an attempt to get us off GPS and onto using towers and therefore data to keep the phone companies happy.

May mean they subsidise the device cost in order to get you in the loop.

If 20 years ago someone told you all the features of a 920 and said it will be the size of a watch and ONLY cost $500 bucks you would have said they were crazy.

I think the difference though might be the markets

The phone market is massive... I can't imagine the ratio of mobile phones to such gadgets that we might think apple or google might bring

The triathlon market is tiny in comparison. which means little profit.

I think they could do very well producing such products however don't think its worth their time and money

This assumes a market of triathletes. Most people don't realise they 'need' something until someone provides it. As Steve Jobs said about the invention of cars - "If you asked people what they wanted they would have said a faster horse". It's only a matter of time before it becomes commonplace to check the number of steps you took a day, stairs you climbed, weight, calories, blood pressure, blood sugar, pulse - oops, you can do all that now...

The big techs companies have found a way to penetrate technology into everyday life - Apple already has a number of patents relating to things like Parky mentioned, blood sugar etc. It will all come and if Garmin 'only' do GPS they will be left behind in a very niche market. I'm sure they already know that and would be burning the midnight oil coming up with an expanded vision that isn't just GPS tracking.

• Like 1

This assumes a market of triathletes. Most people don't realise they 'need' something until someone provides it. As Steve Jobs said about the invention of cars - "If you asked people what they wanted they would have said a faster horse". It's only a matter of time before it becomes commonplace to check the number of steps you took a day, stairs you climbed, weight, calories, blood pressure, blood sugar, pulse - oops, you can do all that now...

The big techs companies have found a way to penetrate technology into everyday life - Apple already has a number of patents relating to things like Parky mentioned, blood sugar etc. It will all come and if Garmin 'only' do GPS they will be left behind in a very niche market. I'm sure they already know that and would be burning the midnight oil coming up with an expanded vision that isn't just GPS tracking.

Exactly they are morphing into a one all encompassing unit. There may be the case where each unit carries the capacity to do everything, but they may switch on or off certain features to sell different priced devices to different markets, then have a bells and whistles premium device that has everything enabled to sell to people with too much money who need the latest gadget (otherwise known as triathletes)

timing chips that do it all

- ie; current pace/speed, GPS location, stroke cadence, pedal cadence, run cadence, air temp, position in field, distance to competitor in front and behind, altitude... continuously uploaded, so race directors/officials/coaches/family & friends can see real time at ALL times what is going on. Officials can issue draft penalties via "scoreboards" setup at intervals along the course removing TO's from the bike course - and can monitor pentalties served.

the chip could also have a "panic button" in case of emergency.

Tyres made out of some type if compound so that they are solid and don't need air, therefore you never get flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solids are so last century, look into some of the spring and wave type tyres already being tested, will severely reduce energy requirements. Haven't seen any plans for cycling, but no doubt that will come in time

There are skin sensors available with ANT capacity to measure blood glucose lactase and transmit results wirelessly. Stick on patch with Small fine wire which penetrates skin. Within a decade our Garmin will have skin temp, lactate, blood glycose, temp all displaying in real time

And take away all the fun of the rectal thermometer I currently use? No way, I'm staying old school.

• Like 1

thats called a nose pete :P

Ah yes, but as I discovered this morning, there are some things the nose was just NOT meant to smell !!! :lol:

Call me crazy but I am gonna make* one of these, mark my words with my new invention, The milk "use-by" date just got it's own "use-by" date!"

PS - If anyone in the transitions community would like to invest a couple of hundred thousand dollars in this venture please PM me for bank transfer details.. :)

I highly doubt that Garmin will get taken over in the running/multisport/bike device caterogory by apple. They produce by far some of the best GPS devices and Timex hasn't even managed to match them. Yes they produced a new device before the new garmin came out but I can't see that coming close at all to Garmin in terms of overall sales and quality of product. Garmin has liiterally nailed it on the head.

I swore by Polar Nokia TDK Cassettes, Aluminium bikes, leather toe straps etc etc. These were all the best by a long way at some stage. Time moves on.

Polaroid were once values as the biggest company in the world. Apple will face some serious challenges in the future. Those old enough to remember ... Apple almost went bankrupt in late 90's. Bill Gates n Microsoft bought into Apple 15pct I think to keep them afloat and so they had a competitor and were not seen as a monopoly. Bitten by the dog they fed.

Time stands still for no company. CEOs n boards make mistakes. Other companies some up with better ideas.

Garmin product line is too narrow for them to be around in 20 years or even 10 years time. Unless they are smart.

I still remember the first time a guy suggest I try Google Search instead of the then incumbent Alta Vista.

Really?

No speedo?

Nope. Had one on my first bike when I bought it (20 years ago) but found that it didn't make me go any faster so I didn't worry about replacing it.

How do you measure your training? Time?

I don't train to a set program anyway so it doesn't make any difference. I train when I feel like it, and have the time! When I've had enough I stop.

Lately, I just haven't felt like it :shy:.

I log all my training K's, so I assume that I'm doing approx 40km/hr when I'm fit and training solid, and approx 30km/hr when unfit... near enough.

GE just counts

He's that good!!!

Yeah, I put a chalk mark on my tire and count the revolutions. Then I times the number of revolutions by the approximate circumference of the wheel then calculate...

Nah, I'm usually just too busy smelling the roses and taking in the scenery :smile1:.

• Like 1

Yeah, I put a chalk mark on my tire and count the revolutions. Then I times the number of revolutions by the approximate circumference of the wheel then calculate...

:smile1:.

The old 2 Pi r. Who said you'd never use it post school. ! Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Nope. Had one on my first bike when I bought it (20 years ago)

I'm the opposite, got my first speedo for Christmas to go on my bmx 32 years ago this December (it was an old analogue style with the needle that went around, fed off of a crank that got turned by the front wheel spokes), that bmx lasted through to uni and think the first bike post uni didn't have one, but have had one every bike since (which coincided with taking up this sport). Anyone had a speedo on their bikes for longer?

• Like 1

I swore by Polar Nokia TDK Cassettes, Aluminium bikes, leather toe straps etc etc. These were all the best by a long way at some stage. Time moves on.

Polaroid were once values as the biggest company in the world. Apple will face some serious challenges in the future. Those old enough to remember ... Apple almost went bankrupt in late 90's. Bill Gates n Microsoft bought into Apple 15pct I think to keep them afloat and so they had a competitor and were not seen as a monopoly. Bitten by the dog they fed.

Time stands still for no company. CEOs n boards make mistakes. Other companies some up with better ideas.

Garmin product line is too narrow for them to be around in 20 years or even 10 years time. Unless they are smart.

I still remember the first time a guy suggest I try Google Search instead of the then incumbent Alta Vista.

interesting analogy between apple (closed IOS) and HTC/Samsung (open Android) and Polar (closed WIND comms) and Garmin (open ANT+ comms). Probably works for Apple, but I think it was doom for Polar.

I'm the opposite, got my first speedo for Christmas to go on my bmx 32 years ago this December (it was an old analogue style with the needle that went around, fed off of a crank that got turned by the front wheel spokes), that bmx lasted through to uni and think the first bike post uni didn't have one, but have had one every bike since (which coincided with taking up this sport). Anyone had a speedo on their bikes for longer?

I bought a speedo for my Malvern Star Bragster. Circa 1970-73 ish. Same Cable run off front wheel. Big as a coffee mug ;)