Living in Canberra

Hi

I'm thinking about moving to Canberra as there are some good job opportunities for me.

I'd be looking to rent a 2 bed unit. Would $500/week suffice in a reasonable area?

I'd also be keen to join a cycling/running/tri group too.

What suburbs should I research?

Thanks

$500 a week will get you a lot these days. Rent has gone down about 15% over the past 12 months since a massive in flux in apartments in Gungahlin over the past year. They are shit house quality though, tiles falling off bathrooms 3 months after delivery, etc.

I pay $480 for a 2 bedroom unit in Braddon and I reckon it'll be relisted at $420 a week after we move out. Been here 3 years. $500 will get you a sweet 2 bedroom place with double car spot near the city.

Hi

I'm thinking about moving to Canberra as there are some good job opportunities for me.

I'd be looking to rent a 2 bed unit. Would $500/week suffice in a reasonable area?

I'd also be keen to join a cycling/running/tri group too.

What suburbs should I research?

Thanks

Don't do it unless you love the job, soulless and very pricey

I'm biased as I lived there til I was 7 and have been back regularly for work or to see friends. I drove down Thursday for the day for a conference arriving during peak hour and the traffic was non existent. I am still impressed by the architecture, the wide streets, open space and bush everywhere. If it was closer to surf it would be perfect.

Pity it isn't on the coast or slightly better climate. Other than that it can be a pretty great place. Highly educated population, good schools, good restaurants and cafes (gotta have somewhere for the lobbyists to take the pollies/senior staffers), great riding and running (as well as swimming - many lunch times got own lane and sometimes own pool at AIS). Traffic can be crap at times (compared to Port Mac, not compared to Sydney or Brisbane). You can get to the beaches faster (and with free parking) than from many areas of Sydney - with a great bakery stop on the way.

We're getting close to pulling pin here and heading back due to missing it (never ever thought I'd say that). Port's lovely but the bogans, low level of education in population, and the boys club attitude is seriously starting to grate (only place I know where a financial services firm has been stupid enough to knowingly hire someone fired for sexual harassment and think they won't lose business when their female clients find out).