Stage 5 Ypres to Arenberg Porte du Hainaut 155.5km

I have been missing Trev. The Tour just doesn’t seem to be the same without him and a little like Phil and Paul, he has become part of the Tour for me.

Tonight things heat up… The first stage of any real interest and as I sit at home sick, thought I would put a poor review together in the spirit of Trev: but not living up to his standards.

Stage 5: Ypres to Arenberg Porte du Hainaut 155.5km

This stage is the first time Ypres has hosted the Tour de France. A small town with a population of 35,000 it was founded on the back of cloth. It was seen as a very important strategic town in the World Wars and featured heavily in fighting in 1914 and again in 1915. In 1917, the war erupted again and Anzac’s took the fight up just outside of Ypres. By the end of the war, there was not much left:

Ypres.jpg

It has hosted a cycling meet since 1934 with Greg Van Avermaet a notable winner of recent times. The town also was the birth place of Andre Noyelle, 1952 Olympic Cycling Champ and Noel Vantyghem, winner of Paris-Tours in 1972. Fair to say the town likes cycling.

The Stage

A viewers delight with cobbles, cobbles and more cobbles. A riders hate with many likely to struggle and always the risk of a puncture. Really the stage is in two sections, the first 87km where it is fairly flat and not a lot happening. From 87 km to the end there are 8 sections of cobbles making up roughly 25km – about half the length of Paris Roubaix

stageprofile.jpg

Weather:

Currently raining and expected to continue the whole day… Predicting 23mm of rain today. And that just ups the spectator view!

Video Preview

To get you into the mood: A bit of wet 2001

Current Jersey Leaders

Trev spent too much time doing this.. really it doesn’t matter in week 1. If it does to you: head here: http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/classifications.html

Riders out – bit more interesting:

Andy Schleck: Knee and missing Frank

Greg Henderson: Lost it around a corner and headed for more knee surgery

Mark Cavendish: Head butting

Sacha Modolo: ??

Synopsis :

Expect nothing to happen to an hour past Gabriel is off TV. Team will starting fighting to get to the front to lead the way into the cobbles. The pace will be on and a lot of team shuffling. From here, expect fire works, with the wet it will be better than NYE at Sydney Harbour.

Viewer Rating = 10 of 10

Who doesn’t like a cobble! And you should have saved up some sleep over the last four days!

Get up and Watch:

Really? You should be getting the popcorn now.

If not, should hit cobbles around 11:45pm – don’t hold me to that! May have got my time zones mixed up!

Who's your tip?

Got to go for a Classics rider and because of this: Fabian. Really though could be a number of people, we haven’t seen enough of anyone to see who is in form. So hedge your bets with a multi including: Niki Terpstra, Greg Van Avermaet and if it is a bunch (unlikely) Peter Sagan will be all over it!

Gabriel: Belgium hmm... I am going with beer and chocolate. Maybe a desert or a rich rabbit?

Edited by Steno
  • Like 2
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so just finished the greatest cycling experience of my life.   Spent the entire stage in the no1 AG2r car at the front of the race.   Team rider Sam Doumolin got in the break so we shot ahead of t

I am lucky enough to be eating brekkie in Roubaix this morning as a guest of Focus Bicycles.   Yesterday we took the new Focus Cayo in the rain over the final secteurs of pave that the riders will c

I have been missing Trev. The Tour just doesn’t seem to be the same without him and a little like Phil and Paul, he has become part of the Tour for me.   Tonight things heat up… The first stage of a

Firstly, thanks and good work.

Secondly so we can sound like experts around the water cooler this afetrnoon at work, how the flux do you pronounce Ypres????

Firstly, thanks and good work.

Secondly so we can sound like experts around the water cooler this afetrnoon at work, how the flux do you pronounce Ypres????

EEP

(that's how we were taught it at school at least).

Hmmm, I think I went to a crap school LOL

Edited by FatPom

The WW1 Anzacs called it "Wipers" (as in "windscreen wipers") and, even thought it's wrong, I kinda like that. :)

Edit - and meant to say, Thanks to Steno for stepping up to the plate to do this. Whether they express it publicly or not I am sure that many people on this forum will appreciate you doing it, I know I do! :)

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

I'd say eeprrr where the rrr is a rolling of the soft palate. It takes some practice. I haven't looked at the clip yet.

My grandmother's house in Maitland was called "YPRES".

My grandfather (the other side) was an ambo based at Bullecourt which is not so far away. He was filled with shrapnel by a shell exploding at his feet, the other ambos and the patient were killed. He spent 18months in England getting it dug out, then returned to France right at the end.

Now I have listened and the final s is abhorrent. Unless it's a local variety that defies all logic. That would be very French.

Don't rely on P&P to get it right tonight, their French is pretty ordinary.

Here you go:

Ypres (/ˈiːprɛs/ or /ˈiːpreɪ/; French pronunciation: ​[ipʁ]; Dutch: Ieper, pronounced [ˈipər])

We should hear Eeper tonight if they are being purist, as it now has a Flemish name. But my approximation of Eeprrr is correct French.

My Year 12 French from 30 years ago would agree with Tortoise. That video sounds like the way a Pommie chav would pronounce it.

Thanks for the review Steno. I did think for about 11 seconds of stepping up and doing what you did but then I couldn't be arsed. I'm glad you did though.

Chapeau.

Apparently Terpstra took a bit of a tumble last night so might be iffy today.

I predict that, with the rain, the peleton will take it VERY easy tonight. There will be a few brave souls that will put themselves out there. I'd love to see Sylvain Chavanel step up and some much needed points for my fantasy team.

I am lucky enough to be eating brekkie in Roubaix this morning as a guest of Focus Bicycles.

Yesterday we took the new Focus Cayo in the rain over the final secteurs of pave that the riders will cover today. It was a thrill and certainly, the cobbles are not as safe as I had expected for the TDF.

I rode together with 1992 world cyclocross champ Mike Kluge and also the former 2 time Dutch CX champ and to see these guys ride cobbles is impressive. Mike rode a whole secteur one handed filming me

The long sections are heavily crowned and have a lot of grass on them and the rain and puddles have made the shoulders almost unrideable in places. I would not want to be hooking through with 200 others - it will be very dangerous if it is wet.

Today I am off to meet the AG2R team in the village dupart and have been offered a ride in the car with the DS during the stage which I am sure will be quite scary.

Right now there is no rain but the last 3 days have done the damage to the pave anyway.

• Like 3

Don't forget that Froome had to get his wrist checked after binning it yesterday, so subtext to the day is whether he can make it through the cobble sections.

Sounds like an awesome trip Pee Pee. Small consolation for forgetting to enter your Velogames team though :lol:

Who's excited???? Looking forward to the stage and seeing what carnage, and by default, what shake ups ensue.

Pee Pee - I'd prefer if you keep that rubbish to yourself from now on :P

Thanks Steno

Cheers

Ayto

Don't worry about the riders in these conditions...........think of the spectators!!

Just as well I'm stuck here in my living room rather than on the side of some wet and windy French road, waiting for hours and hours for a glimpse of some sodden rider whizz past.

Poor buggers........sucks to be a spectator.

Guess I'm the lucky one ;)