The Meaning of Life - What makes You Tick - Self Destruction

Have you worked it out yet?

Why is it as we get older and wiser we still make bad decisions?

I know I'll be tired when I get up at 5.30am yet I still stay up to watch the TDF when I could easily watch the morning highlights.

I know my clothes are getting a bit tighter but I'll cut back on the cakes and biscuits tommorrow.

Why when we have the knowledge to make the right decisions do we chose the wrong one?

Nealo,

I went to bed early & watched the highlights when I got up. The cupcake fairy had been through the office when I got in this morning, so I'll have to give up cakes tomorrow though.

I think the bigger "wrong decision" however was getting on the bike when the outside thermometer said -1.8 this morning. I knew it was going to hurt, but I still did it.

I think the bigger "wrong decision" however was getting on the bike when the outside thermometer said -1.8 this morning. I knew it was going to hurt, but I still did it.

-1.8, what is going on in Brisbane? That must be close to a record low...

Have you worked it out yet? No.

Why when we have the knowledge to make the right decisions do we chose the wrong one? When you figure it out, let me know. But Clarkey is probably right. Most people don't fear failure, they fear success. Myself included.

Sand Box.

Having a good woman close to me is a good start. Esp when things are not complicated. When things get complicated the aura is lost.

Living in a remote area with no easy access to fast foods or supernarkets is a big help.

Meaning of life..... no idea, I'm throwing it back to you Nealo.

-1.8, what is going on in Brisbane? That must be close to a record low...

Not incredibly unusual in the outer west (Samford Valley), though there have been a few too many of them this year. Some seriously ridiculous temperatures in places like warwick this year though with -4, and a "feels like" temp of -7 a couple of mornings. At least in Qld you don't get wet with these temps. you only get them in the dry.

Only thing I know is that things and stuff don't make me happy so I am not wasting energy to collect them.

As for the meaning of life, the answer is 42.

Edited by MountainMan
  • Like 1

Its funny you know for me athletic performance/ weight/ fitness/ happiness are not directly intertwined but do have some correlation.

If Im in a "happy place" with life in general I find Im less inclined to worry about my fitness/ weight and tend to enjoy the moment.

But then when the stresses of life rise to a point where the happiness level is not so high, then I notice that my fitness and weight have suffered in my "living in the moment" phase and I feel a bit worse as a result.

But in saying that Im a triathlete of 23 odd years, my happiness meter on average would be well in the positive, I have a great wife (punching well above my weight) , two healthy kids as many bikes as I want/ need, so I find it hard to complain. It all balances out.

On a side note I do feel al little down when I feel that Australia is becoming a more "mean" place to live, it no longer seems to be the socially or financially inclusive place that it used to be and there seems to be a seige mentality developing about "our money, our resources, our country" and those that have in previous generations benefitted from this great countries "wealth" now want to shut the door on those not yet there.

• Like 2

If Im in a "happy place" with life in general I find Im less inclined to worry about my fitness/ weight and tend to enjoy the moment.

I wonder...........

Maybe I'm in a "happy place".

Other than having a sizable mortgage I'm in a very happy place.

• Like 1

Have you worked it out yet?

Why is it as we get older and wiser we still make bad decisions?

I know I'll be tired when I get up at 5.30am yet I still stay up to watch the TDF when I could easily watch the morning highlights.

I know my clothes are getting a bit tighter but I'll cut back on the cakes and biscuits tommorrow.

Why when we have the knowledge to make the right decisions do we chose the wrong one?

Delayed gratification V instant gratification.

Often "bad" decisions are good for immediate gratification at the expense of long term "suffering".

• Like 1

Global warming man - it's real :shy:

On the other OP question - too many options - you give yourself options - if you have no options you just do it :sly:

I don't think people are afraid of success I think they are afraid of failure. It's easy to make excuses and say if I tried I would have achieved x than to say I did try and failed to achieve x.

I've noticed over the years there is a mentality that if you train more it gets easier. To me it's never got easier you just get faster but the pain is still the same. When people discover this it can be a hard thing to overcome mentally that there goals are in reach but they have to work hard for it.

Everyone is different, it all comes down to how bad do YOU want to achieve the things you have set for yourself. Then there is no decision to be made, you just do what needs to be done.

This is the first year I have decided not to watch the tour & get up early & go training.

5am starts for swim squad Mon, Wed & Fri

4:20am start for a group run/ PT training session on Tuesday's & Thursday's, it's a great feeling to have finished training by 7am & heading to wok early.

I went under 12hrs in Melbourne & now I'm looking for a 11:30 in Malaysia. Already dropped 4.5kg, focused & on track.

• Like 4

Next Monday we start our "Ironman Boot Camp" - it's 14 days of consecutive 4.30am starts - why the 4.30am starts ?

If you can't turn up 14 times in a row at 4.30am you're not going to be able to drive yourself to achieve your goals

What's the reward ? If you turn up 14 times - on time you get a t-shirt - that's 14 days in a row that there has to be no options

The race is 70-80% psychological - what better time to start that psychological training than the coldest, darkest weeks of the year - any fool can train in good weather - it's easier to train when the sun's shining - it takes commitment to train when you would really rather be doing something else :shocking:

What's the reward ? If you turn up 14 times - on time you get a t-shirt - that's 14 days in a row that there has to be no options

What about 12 days and a singlet? ;)

My view, is that you're not making bad decisions, you're making informed decisions: you understand and consider the impact from your actions and then decide what you want to do at that point. There's only one life, live it - if living is staying up to watch the TdF or enjoying a cake, so be it, it's the right decision.

Measuring the risk is good, not doing so is what's bad. I believe that when you get older, you get better at measuring the risk - and as life is getting ever shorter you measure differently.

I bet if it was near an Ironman, you'd be in bed early, and you'd not be eating the cake.

Risk analysis is frought with emotional bias when faced with a choice between making yourself feel good now, or feeling better at some point in the future. Sometimes the "forces" aren't even and immediate gratification wins out and you regret it the next day (or whenever). I think the key is when it gets to that point, you reassess how you made that choice in the first place, and either accept you are happy with the decision, or think about ways to make that decision with less biased inputs. It's not a mistake. It's a learning opportunity, on how to do it next time, and ascertain your priorities.

I'm also not watching any of the tour. I'm up at 4 every morning for training, and watch the highlights while I eat my brekky at 7:30. I get awesome quality training and still see the best bits of the tour.

This is the first year I have decided not to watch the tour & get up early & go training.

5am starts for swim squad Mon, Wed & Fri

4:20am start for a group run/ PT training session on Tuesday's & Thursday's, it's a great feeling to have finished training by 7am & heading to wok early.

I went under 12hrs in Melbourne & now I'm looking for a 11:30 in Malaysia. Already dropped 4.5kg, focused & on track.

It's important to 'wok early' when training for an Asian race :smile1:

Good call Tyno - I think it would be more attractive if there were 'tiers' of rewards, so eg. if you make it through 5 days at 4.30am you get a visor, 7 days is a singlet, 10 days a stubby holder and 14 days for the t-shirt. And you could get the ability to "buy back", so eg. if something unavoidable happened on a day and you couldn't make it, but you got there 15 minutes early the next two days, that would still count.

AP what do you think? I reckon you'd probably get some more people along if you thought about this a bit more from a strategic marketing perspective.

If you can't turn up 14 times in a row at 4.30am you're not going to be able to drive yourself to achieve your goals

I can if my goal is not to get up before 5am 14 times in a row. In fact I have a close to 100% record with this goal over my lifetime, can I have a t-shirt?

Edited by Naut

AP what do you think? I reckon you'd probably get some more people along if you thought about this a bit more from a strategic marketing perspective.

It's not those people we want - this is a special t-shirt - it's a bit like the dark blue one you get in Kona - it just looks like any other finishers shirt but has anyone who earned one given it away :shy:

Delayed gratification V instant gratification.

Often "bad" decisions are good for immediate gratification at the expense of long term "suffering".

Spot on Turtle.

Poster in the office says "Don't give up what you want most, for what you want now."

It's not those people we want - this is a special t-shirt - it's a bit like the dark blue one you get in Kona - it just looks like any other finishers shirt but has anyone who earned one given it away :shy:

Ugly bloody thing. Used mine for protecting my chainstay when packing my bike.

But standard procedure for wankers is to wear it to registration for their next (and all future) races.

Edited by niseko

Not sure but TUV5.0 used his for a bike cleaning rag.

Ugly bloody thing. Used mine for protecting my chainstay when packing my bike.

But standard procedure for wankers is to wear it to registration for their next (and all future) races.

Niseko why is it such an offence to wear your event t-shirt, I like them as if you do enough races you never need to buy t-shirts or running tops. I remember somebody saying wearing the event t-shirt the day after identified you as a wanker.

When I did my first Im lots of people me included wore our shirts and nobody went around calling anybody out, except for some local wannabe legends who think they are gods gift to triathlon and they only did this on line.

It's not as if they are sponsored by the refined carbs association of America

• Like 1

Niseko why is it such an offence to wear your event t-shirt, I like them as if you do enough races you never need to buy t-shirts or running tops. I remember somebody saying wearing the event t-shirt the day after identified you as a wanker.

When I did my first Im lots of people me included wore our shirts and nobody went around calling anybody out, except for some local wannabe legends who think they are gods gift to triathlon and they only did this on line.

It's not as if they are sponsored by the refined carbs association of America

I've got no issues with people wearing finishers shirts. Just wearing the Hawaii finishers ones to future race registrations is a dick move.

Just wearing the Hawaii finishers ones to future race registrations is a dick move.

I do agree, I have a collection of them and all have been worn once - to breakfast the day after - then packed away - I don't know what I'll do with them they're vacuum packed to preserve them :smile1:

can i just buy one of these? how much are they?

Right, but what I'm thinking is that even if people start with a small goal, like turning up for a couple of days at the start, then by being exposed to all the more hardcore group members, they might get right into it and come a lot more - you might find they make it through a lot more days. Like a person might start out thinking hey I can only do this for a few days, but in the end, they'd find they'd made it to 9 or 10 out of 14, which would be pretty awesome - you could feel pretty inspired to see how much they'd achieved.

There is an issue with not wearing finishers shirts. The chicks.

In Cairns post race party was getting a bit loose in Rattle and Hum and I was getting molested by some IM groupies. I told them I was married and pointed out the single guys - "Yeah but they wear Ironman gear" she said. #truestorybro

There is an issue with not wearing finishers shirts. The chicks.

In Cairns post race party was getting a bit loose in Rattle and Hum and I was getting molested by some IM groupies. I told them I was married and pointed out the single guys - "Yeah but they wear Ironman gear" she said. #truestorybro

are you saying IM shirts turn chicks off, back in the day a number on the arm, club t shirt chicks loved it, late 90's though when it was hard

• Like 1

Yes mate that's what I'm saying. Times change and street cred of an IM finisher shirt is now negative points. Having said that, who am I kidding, after the beer mile those nubile wenches would have been all over me no matter what I was wearing.

This thread was supposed to be about important things like sleep and cake, now it is degenerated into fashion tips for attracting women!

It may be the most off-topic topic to ever grace the realms of TriChat.

The concept of having a meaning of life is just a glorified example of human beings ego running amok. Why do you think that your life has to have a meaning - it is exceptionally arrogant to think that you were born with a "purpose" which you have to fulfill - the only purpose nature wants you to achieve is propagation of your own species and nothing more.

what is the meaning of life for a common ant or an elephant ?

The universe is indifferent towards you or your purpose.

• Like 2

Right, but what I'm thinking is that even if people start with a small goal, like turning up for a couple of days at the start, then by being exposed to all the more hardcore group members, they might get right into it and come a lot more - you might find they make it through a lot more days. Like a person might start out thinking hey I can only do this for a few days, but in the end, they'd find they'd made it to 9 or 10 out of 14, which would be pretty awesome - you could feel pretty inspired to see how much they'd achieved.

You know what makes the guys who do the whole thing "hardcore" is the fact that they get out of bed and turn up every morning - it's not about individual strengths or skills it's all about attitude -- anyone can do the whole 14 days -- the workload is adjusted to suit the individual -- it really is just about commitment

You don't have to be fast or strong to be "hardcore" - you just have to be tough - and that's a personal choice - what I am selling is a chance to be as tough as any other athlete - once that is achieved, improvement comes naturally :smile1: and you get a shirt - and you can wear it to your next race registration as a badge of honour :smartarse: