Transitions Winter Fish 2014 Edition

After a week of not seeing a pool (other than the one at home surrounded by frost yesterday morning, and yes it was -0.8 degrees here), I need a really big set to get back into this. Trinube, if you're out there, quote me so I can't go back on this.

5km planned for tomorrow morning.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noticed some idle speculation about Winter Fish: http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=60616&page=26   I think my tally would've been pretty much none, had I noticed there was a c

I don't know Kim, I think you're close enough to manly. You have a beard and everything.

Personally I reckon that kind of talk should get you banned around here for being offensive.

After a week of not seeing a pool (other than the one at home surrounded by frost yesterday morning, and yes it was -0.8 degrees here), I need a really big set to get back into this. Trinube, if you're out there, quote me so I can't go back on this.

5km planned for tomorrow morning.

smash it up mate, nice to see you back. 2.2k for me tomorrow just to get a nice round figure for the week.

smash it up mate, nice to see you back. 2.2k for me tomorrow just to get a nice round figure for the week.

I could do nothing tomorrow to get a perfectly round figure for the week. :)

• Like 1

Well that was a great start to the day that just fell in a big heap.

Yes, I got my 5km done. No real set, just 5km straight. I got out of the water feeling absolutely exhausted, but looking forward to the ride in to work with that dead body feeling. I get to the office beside the gate, and the lady there advises me that for the first time in 10 years, they'll be closing the pool for a few weeks from next weekend for maintenance.AAAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

That's 3 pools I've had close on me in this comp. 23km to do, and only 1 week.

I can't see the boss getting much out of me next week at work.

4:10 to get out of the house by 4:30, then at the pool by 5:15. 90min in the water then on to work by 7.

It makes it a long day (I'll probably get home by 6:30pm), but I get in 5km swim, 60km on the bike & I'll do a small run at lunch time. As an added bonus, I'll get nearly 10hours in at the computer, some work, some Trannies.

I was struggling to hit the target. Planned swims yesterday today and tomorrow have given way to man-flu, so no hope now.

Will get as close as I can in remaining time.

The good thing is this has got me back in the pool when I was struggling and I'm even looking forward to going swimming!

I get to the office beside the gate, and the lady there advises me that for the first time in 10 years, they'll be closing the pool for a few weeks from next weekend for maintenance.AAAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

That's 3 pools I've had close on me in this comp.

You gotta stop p!ssing in the pools :) Good work on the 5k though, that's pretty solid.

Hb

Don't know where u live in bris Vegas, but u tried any of the uni pools - mt gravatt, st Lucia, city or kelvin grove? They are all open.

KG might be an option. The problem is, by the time I get that close to work, I don't know if I can be bothered stopping.

The other option is to turn the 30km commute into a 45km commute, and go back to Albany Creek. It will all depend on how close I get by the end of next week when the pool closes.

Hb

Don't know where u live in bris Vegas, but u tried any of the uni pools - mt gravatt, st Lucia, city or kelvin grove? They are all open.

Shhh. That's MY pool. I don't want word getting out how good it is :smile1:

This will be my biggest weekend for years. Red Dog are doing a 100 x 100s this Sunday. 2 sessions one from 6am - 10 am and also 2pm - 6pm. I'll be aiming to break my previous record of 5K in a session so aiming for at least 5.1. One dude will be doing both sessions of the full 100 hunjees. So yeah 20K in a day :shock:

Doggies are at Yeronga, pieman.

Yeah I thought so, but there was a sign up at UQ advertising the 100x100 and I didnt check out the venue...

oh well, im never going to make my 50km anyway

Easily one of the most frustrating things that can happen. In the back of my mind every time I go to squad, I'm thinking... what if for some reason it's not on today? Especially when there's not even a cafe open!

You can take inspiration from my sporting hero, Steven Gerrard, who after each game in the title run-in said simply "We go again". He then proceeded to miss a simple pass, fall over, and hand the title to a bunch of rent boys from Man City, but the point is, um... well anyway...

I've had a good start. On the first day of winter I got up at 5am, put on everything warm I could find, and went for a ride. For some reason I never get motivated to do any training until the darkest coldest bit of the year. Perhaps I have some Eskimo heritage or something. Clocked a very leisurely 43km in the rain, which for some reason took about 1'45"... cough... and contributed a grand total of zero to my winter fish.

However this morning I actually did get out of bed at 5am and go swimming. Wasn't sure if the place would still be there, it's been that long. But bizarrely, everyone was still there, and there were some considerable double-takes at my re-appearance. Or possibly it was because I took off my t-shirt and stopped sucking in my stomach. :tv_horror:

I checked at home and discovered the last time I made squad was February 24th. Holy jesus, does 3 months fly past.

Anyway, all went surprisingly OK - one benefit of being an erratic trainer is you gradually get more familiar with the unpleasant mental and physical challenges of making yet another comeback. I have 2.6km on the board, putting me just a smidge ahead of target. :thumbsup:

Thanks to tech wizzes for getting the spreadsheet up, I wasn't sure what I was doing on that front.

Did JVW introduce you to everyone again and do you think you'll even climb your way out of lane 1? The pool up the road open in about 2 months. Can I start then?

Conor

• Like 1

I heard the first step to a come back was posting on trannies... We'll see how it goes. Near on two years of inactivity means that a couple of extra kegs have appeared around the middle. Sick of my body feeling sore from sitting down all day, I miss the soreness of a good work out.

First run tomorrow.

• Like 1

This week, two wobbies, only one dusky whaler, a big flathead, a little flathead, numerous blue grouper sightings, a num-fish, many various small fish from boat to plate size and one huge catfish. No stingrays, the whiting were scarce as were the ludderick.

Did JVW introduce you to everyone again and do you think you'll even climb your way out of lane 1? The pool up the road open in about 2 months. Can I start then?

Conor

Every time.

No.

Yes.

Welcome back.

Saw a rarely seen trifecta at Waves Cheltenham today - fins, pull buoy & breast stroke

You've got nothing, today in the indoor pool (32°) was a guy with fins, front snorkel, glove paddles and a shorty WETSUIT! Would have been rolling at about 3:30/100

You've got nothing, today in the indoor pool (32°) was a guy with fins, front snorkel, glove paddles and a shorty WETSUIT! Would have been rolling at about 3:30/100

That's pretty fast for you mate, well done.

• Like 1

Set a new PB today for longest swim in one session. 60 x 100s. I think we had nearly 100 Red Dogs take part across the 2 sessions including Sarah Crowley and Dave Dellow. Flouchy managed 200 x 100s and I was amazed how many managed the full 100 x 100s. Great club spirit on display and after today's effort I'm actually thinking about the 100 x 100s at UQ in 6 weeks from now.

Set a new PB today for longest swim in one session. 60 x 100s. I think we had nearly 100 Red Dogs take part across the 2 sessions including Sarah Crowley and Dave Dellow. Flouchy managed 200 x 100s and I was amazed how many managed the full 100 x 100s. Great club spirit on display and after today's effort I'm actually thinking about the 100 x 100s at UQ in 6 weeks from now.

Nice work.. what was the interval?

1:50 but in a 25m pool and I had a few breaks to take on board lollies. The fast lane were on 1:30 and they still managed 100 at that pace. Man that's a lot of tumble turns.

1:50 but in a 25m pool and I had a few breaks to take on board lollies. The fast lane were on 1:30 and they still managed 100 at that pace. Man that's a lot of tumble turns.

1.50 would feel ok for a while...but 60 of them is pretty decent...!

Ground out 2.7 today and feel like crap. Not sure if it's the net effect of finally training consistently enough to get tired, but geeeeeez. Don't appear to be ill, just flat.

we only have 13 days left don't we? Which means I would need to average 3.5km a day to reach 50kms

So what's your point? :lol:

Edited by trinube

I prefer not to have my “training” constrained by labels and overly bureaucratic rules.

Special Needs: Requires you to do the best you can with the little time you have left. It also allows you to redefine workouts based on how waterlogged you got doing them.

• Like 1

I just updated my totals after a few days of not logging in ( and being a little suspect thanks mank LOL)

got 7k done today 93 odd ks done , and im just starting to warm up now with the start of this challenge being when I was doing cairns IM

cheers

Ivp

I prefer not to have my “training” constrained by labels and overly bureaucratic rules.

Special Needs: Requires you to do the best you can with the little time you have left. It also allows you to redefine workouts based on how waterlogged you got doing them.

Is this one of those groups where there are no losers, and when the kid's finally graduate, the real world hits them like a ton of bricks?

• Like 1