Other multi sport events

Outside of what most of us consider the normal multi sport events - triathlons: swim bike and run (sprint - ironman)

Does anyone participate in other multisport events such as the marysville to Melbourne that involves road cycling, trail running and kayaking.
If you participate in these events what are they?

do you do them in support of your triathlon season?
Why do you think these events aren't as big as triathlon? (assuming that they aren't)

Do you do mountain biking, kayaking etc as part of your winter cross training but don't do any adventure type racing?

Done team events at Anaconda style races...more for the social aspect than the racing. MTB with my boy for a bit of cross training, fun and father son time. Race bikes, again for the comraderie and mateship/fun. If I see it as a challenge and or fun with a few mates I'll have a go. Like sitting around a fire with a beer also...with my mates of course talking sh#t, thats what life is about.

I came from the run/bike/kayak type racing before i decided to learn to swim and do a tri. Still do some. Lot of crossover in training

One of the biggest changes is that year against year your times are much more conditions dependent. eg river flows can vary hugely.

The Kathmandu series is great to try out for adventure racing as kayaks are provided, which can be the biggest barrier to entry into the sport.

In NZ the multisport racing for the high profile races ie Coast to Coast is seen as big/hard/challenging/status as IMNZ. They are different in different ways

I raced kayaks for many years before getting into tri's. I then did some multisport stuff and alternated between racing TT's and kayaking. Multisport events are a lot of fun; especially as a team. Unfortunately there aren't that many to choose from in Oz. I think what puts a lot of people off is the kayak which tends to make up 1/3 or more of the average race time. If you aren't from a paddling background you are at a distinct disadvantage as technique is difficult to master as is stability in the faster boats.

NZ is the multisport mecca with the Coast to Coast being the biggest of them all! If you are from outside NZ, this race is a major logistical challenge, as well as a huge physical one. Add to this that you cannot enter C to C (and probably other events with moving water) without having certification that you can competently handle grade 2 rapids. This usually involves a weekend course at Penrith WW centre or similar.

We've got The Icebreaker Multisport Challenge next weekend here in Tassie and the Freycinet Challenge (2 day event ) in October

Both involve Open water surf ski (or kayak), mountain bike and trail run. Freycinet also has a road bike TT leg both days .

Haven't tried it but Lorne Adventure race looks cool - ocean swimming, kayaking, mountain biking and trail running.

Are there any that involve swim, mtb, kayak, road ride (hills or TT) then run (trail or road) ?

http://www.bayadventure.com.au/

This year's format will include:

If you participate in these events what are they?

do you do them in support of your triathlon season?

Why do you think these events aren't as big as triathlon? (assuming that they aren't)

Did the Murray Quadrathlon (http://murrayquad.com.au/) last weekend as I just wanted a new challenge, and paddling a kayak is always a 'challenge' for me.

They are a fair bit harder logistically as you also need to transport a kayak as well as your swim, bike & run gear.

But, they are a fair bit of fun and probably worth the extra effort. Will probably look at doing the Upper Murray Challenge in October.

http://www.uppermurraychallenge.com.au/