Torque for carbon frame/alloy seatpost

kanga

Having bought a torque wrench I'm after some sage advice on torque settings for my carbon frame/alloy seatpost setup. My Saracen Galibier is a fairly rare beast that didn't come with much doco new, and there's not a whole lot of technical documentation around on the frame online. Great frame, well finished, and no doubt made somewhere in Asia and that day they stuck a Saracen finishing kit on it. The online spec describes it as "full monocoque ACCM carbon fibre" but are sadly silent on how many Nm's it takes to shatter the frame.

Found a few posts advocating torque wrenches and carbon paste, nothing specifically on how many Nms are too many.

Thanks!

Kanga

I have a carbon TT frame with a twin set screw clamp arrangement. I've never torqued, just done it up by feel but I have a pretty good feel mechanically and not had any issues. But reading a lot of threads on ST about this stuff, the range I see mostly is between 5-8 nm for most seatposts IIRC.

Don't take this as gospel though.

Having cracked a clamp on a seat post by not having a torque wrench ( because I thought, argh...just a tiny bit more ) , I always go by the numbers in the manual or stamped on the part.

Thanks guys, will have a closer look on the clamp for any torque markings. It's a typical basic single allen key clamp, nothing flash, looked like an OEM part when they brought it out.

Having cracked a clamp on a seat post by not having a torque wrench ( because I thought, argh...just a tiny bit more ) , I always go by the numbers in the manual or stamped on the part.

That was me last December, putting the bike back together the day before Busso and noticed the original clamp had cracked. Thirty odd dollars and a trip to the LBS later I had a new clamp, and hence also buying the wrench. It's never come loose but presumably as I'd never under-tightened it. Rather replace clamps than the frame!

Archived