She's very scared and excited at the same time

I'm Very proud of heras she's been on the podium

Many

Times but never got a spot

She deserves it

Cheers

Ip

Top bombing mate. That's great news :)

Serious question - are all of the lottery winners selected at random or does anyone know of people who've been given a spot for 'political' reasons?

After last weeks email debacle, I searched to find out how the Lottery is actually drawn. Information on the topic is very skinny.

Given the revenue that this must raise, one would hope that a random draw overseen by a KPMG or Ernst & Young type company would be the answer to your question.

Also congrats to AVAGO for winning a lottery AND a legacy spot!!

• Like 1

I got a lottery spot. Done 7 ironmans and been in draw for 6 years. Yeowwwww

I promise this is not a troll and I ask it from a perspective of having made very solid headway in performance over a relatively short time......

I personally had a goal to qualify for Kona. The race itself was not really the focus but the 'validation' for want of a better word was the goal of qualifying.

Over six years of the same dedication, I have no question in my mind that I would have qualified (woulda coda shooda). I entered the lottery two or three years ago pretty much as a motivation to have to train again but missed out. I was not at all disappointed to be honest. I even exchanged emails with my old coach talking about my motivations and goals well after I gave the Ironman thing away.

Anyway, to the point, over six years and 800 bucks (I can't remember the lottery entry cost) considering the extreme effort many people put in to qualify, sometimes on the first go, what feeling do people experience by receiving a lottery slot? I know of a few that have had the lottery win but gone on to qualify in the future. Can those persons if reading mention how it felt for them between the two avenues?

All the best to you ballinatri by the way. Enjoy your race. Enjoy your training. Ride SAFE!

Spot Anderson got a spot.

Chrissy Ashcroft got a 3rd lottery. 4th time to kona after getting a spot in Malaysia years ago. I didn't even know she still raced.

Our own Rocket got one too. Super excited for him.

And well done to imwombat and ballinatri. Top stuff.

• Like 1

After last weeks email debacle, I searched to find out how the Lottery is actually drawn. Information on the topic is very skinny.

Given the revenue that this must raise, one would hope that a random draw overseen by a KPMG or Ernst & Young type company would be the answer to your question.

Also congrats to AVAGO for winning a lottery AND a legacy spot!!

Avago is jumping out of his skin.....

I've been entering the Lottery program for I don't know how many years, the legacy program once I could and this year even bought the Valentines Day lottery ticket from WTC.

How lucky am I eh?????

As I'll take the Legacy spot, is there a soll down if I pass on the lottery spot? :smile1:

BTW, if I make it to Kona starting line in 1 piece, that'll be IM # 20

Thrilled my mate Chrissy is going as well. ( she's been mainly concentrating on LC )

Did I mention I'm jumping out of my skin....

• Like 5

Interesting,

André Van Gelder

Won a spot in the lottery but is also in the legacy, but also got one in the legacy. If it is the same guy, how stupid are WTC that a spot would be wasted in the lottery when he is in for the legacy!

Their poor admin continues after last week...

Congrats to Adre by the way, I'm not picking him out, just highlighting the issue.

Edited by Nath.

I've been entering the Lottery program for I don't know how many years, the legacy program once I could and this year even bought the Valentines Day lottery ticket from WTC.

How lucky am I eh?????

As I'll take the Legacy spot, is there a soll down if I pass on the lottery spot? :smile1:

Thrilled my mate Chrissy is going as well. ( she's been mainly concentrating on LC )

If you've got a spot in either, then I'd find out if one or the other rolls to another person and then take the one that doesn't. Maybe they both do, maybe neither do.

Congrats to all who got one of either!

I don't know anything about either lottery (and won't be entering myself) but am I right that it is $100 to enter it? Non refundable if you don't get a spot? And do you have to still pay an entry fee after getting a lottery spot?

Interesting,

André Van Gelder

Won a spot in the lottery but is also in the legacy, but also got one in the legacy. If it is the same guy, how stupid are WTC that a spot would be wasted in the lottery when he is in for the legacy!

Their poor admin continues after last week...

Nath, I really don't know what processes they use.

I'll take a guess that the Legacy program issues spots from the top to those with the most IM finishes down and that the lottery is to those who are drawn at random.

so if the lottery or random draw was done first, well my name, by virtue of having done the higher number of IMs is still on the Legacy list, or is the other way,, I got a Legacy spot and because I'd bought a Lottery Ticket I was still in the Lottery draw.

but yes, not a great process on their part and I hope that the lottery rolls to someone else.

I believe as a Legacy participant ( see, I don't say competitor nor athlete ) that we are sort of Mini Legends and have some additional functions or whatever...

blah, what do I know, I've never been there and will fill you in on the details in mid October.

congratulations to everyone who got a spot for Kona in 2014

now I'm off to Lowes to get a dozen Hawaiian Shirts :smile1:

Edited by AVAGO
  • Like 1

Nath, I really don't know what processes they use.

I'll take a guess that the Legacy program issues spots from the top to those with the most IM finishes down and that the lottery is to those who are drawn at random.

so if the lottery or random draw was done first, well my name, by virtue of having done the higher number of IMs is still on the Legacy list, or is the other way,, I got a Legacy spot and because I'd bought a Lottery Ticket I was still in the Lottery draw.

but yes, not a great process on their part and I hope that the lottery rolls to someone else.

I believe as a Legacy participant ( see, I don't say competitor nor athlete ) that we are sort of Mini Legends and have some additional functions or whatever...

blah, what do I know, I've never been there and will fill you in on the details in mid October.

congratulations to everyone who got a spot for Kona in 2014

now I'm off to Lowes to get a dozen Hawaiian Shirts

Yes, they must compile the legacy and then draw the lotto, and obviously with your number of IM's you were a good chance.

Great news for you, and exactly why this Lotto & legacy are a good thing I reckon!

Also congrats to Mrs IP, another deserving entry.....pressure is on IP in Port or Cairns now, so hopefully you can snag a race spot too...otherwise you will be a handy support crew!

Edited by Nath.

Mrs IP

Is in with a legacy

I just woke her up and told her

She's very scared and excited at the same time

I'm Very proud of heras she's been on the podium

Many

Times but never got a spot

She deserves it

Cheers

Ip

Great stuff mate. My Mrs is in for 3rd time. The way things are going ill be carrying the handbag so feel free to join me. It's more fun than racing it anyway.

How lucky am I eh?????

Mate, congrats on your Legacy spot. Having been given a trip to Kona in the first round of the Legacy program in 2012, I can tell you you'll have a great experience. ( BTW, from talking to the CEO at the Legacy Welcoming Dinner it is not a matter of those with the highest number of finishes being at the top of the list, but a lottery draw of all those that qualify for the program).

It was created for people like you and me ( and the likes of Big Chris and IMFoz) that were probably never going to qualify outright , but would give up a kidney to play on the Kona lava fields.

My memories will last forever, I'm sure yours will too.

Enjoy training over winter, and give it everything on the day.

• Like 1

Congrats to all the Trannies who made it in!

I find it amazing that 60% of the field who got lottery spots are from the US!!!!!

I wonder if it's just because of sheer numbers who enter the lottery from the US compared to other countries???

Congrats to everyone. As one of the first Legacy spot winners I can assure you all that you will have a great time and that you will be very much welcomed at the race. Don't feel like you don't deserve to be there. You all do. That is the nature of the race and the legacy left by the original owner of the race. And by the way, you will beat hundreds of people who qualified.

That is what TC is alluding to with the "random draw" question. Employees or ex-employees of TA/TNSW, big Tri club presidents, IMG/WTC Mole/Scoop merchants frequently seem to jag a lottery spot alongside the honest battlers.

If they want to really make it special, you shouldn't be able to enter the lottery once you have raced there. I know Valium got jumped on for questioning why someone who has podiumed at Kona would enter the lottery and take a spot that way, but I thought it was a fair point to raise. I know WTC will take anyone's money but would the spirit of the lottery be better served if it was only for first timers? They won't draw out the same Legacy participant more than once surely?

• Like 2

Its clearly not a random draw. You'd be blind to think it is.

It's always the same number of Aussies each year. Usually 6 but goes up or down 1. They might be random as in selecting 6 or 7 Aussies but its not like Powerball being totally random

Usually only one Kiwi gets a start. Same again this year. Go back thru the last 5 yrs results. Always the same.

Yanks smash it with 75% each year.

Mind you the Legacy seems very legit.

Edited by Peter

( BTW, from talking to the CEO at the Legacy Welcoming Dinner it is not a matter of those with the highest number of finishes being at the top of the list, but a lottery draw of all those that qualify for the program).

It was created for people like you and me ( and the likes of Big Chris and IMFoz) that were probably never going to qualify outright , but would give up a kidney to play on the Kona lava fields.

My memories will last forever, I'm sure yours will too.

Enjoy training over winter, and give it everything on the day.

Did any leagcey lottery entrants miss out on a spot?

Yep missed out on the legacy

In 2012 Andrew Messick told me when he thought up the idea of the Legacy Program he had no idea how many people would satisfy the selection criteria. In that year there were approx 150 people entered into the Legacy for 100 spots. So 50 +/- missed out in 2012. As time goes on , and more and more people have >12 IM ( with consecutive 2 years and entered for following year) that number is bound to increase exponentially. So more and more Legends will miss out every year. Still infinitely better odds than the routine Lottery.

OH BTW, one of the criteria for Legacy is that you haven't been to Kona before ( qualified or lottery), so people can't enter into Legacy again once they've raced.

Edited by Dave T

How many IM have you completed.

I had done 12 at time of application, Melbourne was 13 & Port will be 14. I thought it might be based on criteria including performances etc but i think it is just done randomly from those that qualify which is fair enough. Been under 10hrs 5 times, not easy to qualify in Australia!! When i get there i know i will deserve it :smartarse:

Good thing it's still fun :smile1:

• Like 1

Yes, very, very excited. Thanks Peter.

It has been a 20 year journey beginning with a Triple-M sprint race at Narrabeen in 1994. I still have the singlet.

I owe the sport my fitness and well being and therefore to be able to race at Kona is a bonus and an honour.

And thank you to Andrew Messick for your vision.

• Like 4

there 16 IM finishes medals in a draw at my place, but it did take a while to meet the criteria as the goalposts were moved from '12 to '13

below is a comment by the Ironman CEO on ST

Legacy is not a lottery -- it is more accurate to think of it as a wait list. We had fewer than 200 apply this year, 100 got slots in 2014 and the remainder will get 2015 slots if they maintain eligibility. We believe that the wait will get longer over time but for now it is less than 2 years.

there 16 IM finishes medals in a draw at my place, but it did take a while to meet the criteria as the goalposts were moved from '12 to '13

Legacy is not a lottery -- it is more accurate to think of it as a wait list. We had fewer than 200 apply this year, 100 got slots in 2014 and the remainder will get 2015 slots if they maintain eligibility. We believe that the wait will get longer over time but for now it is less than 2 years.

Mmm I might have to enter next year. Not that keen on racing Kona but would like to tick the box one day.

Mmm I might have to enter next year. Not that keen on racing Kona but would like to tick the box one day.

By the sounds of that, there may not be a legacy draw next year, as they may simply fill the slots with those that applied & missed this year. Still, the sooner you apply, the sooner you are likely to get in.

By the sounds of that, there may not be a legacy draw next year, as they may simply fill the slots with those that applied & missed this year. Still, the sooner you apply, the sooner you are likely to get in.

They need to "maintain eligibility" which I would presume includes entering the legacy program again (paying whatever the fee is) so I imagine if you don't re-enter you go to the back of the queue.

They need to "maintain eligibility" which I would presume includes entering the legacy program again (paying whatever the fee is) so I imagine if you don't re-enter you go to the back of the queue.

Yes, for sure.

And doing another IM in that year.

It'll become bloody expensive, and wearisome, as the queue grows over the years

Congrats to all the Trannies who made it in!

I find it amazing that 60% of the field who got lottery spots are from the US!!!!!

I wonder if it's just because of sheer numbers who enter the lottery from the US compared to other countries???

Regarding the high % of US people who got spots. I am 99.9% sure that out of the 100 spots available there are 60 for the US and 40 for the 'rest of the world'. This was actually on thee website going back 4-5 years. Will try and find it again.

• Like 1

Regarding the high % of US people who got spots. I am 99.9% sure that out of the 100 spots available there are 60 for the US and 40 for the 'rest of the world'. This was actually on thee website going back 4-5 years. Will try and find it again.

If that's the case it's a complete joke. A lottery should be a lottery, it's expensive enough to enter.