Track Riding in Sydney ... where?

So had my second go at the track doing the aero testing with Alex last weekend......love it its awesome just smooth and you can get into a great rhythm. I would like to do some of my training on a track ..... where in Sydney?

can one actually higher track sessions or pay and enter and just ride? I mean just ride my TT bike that is?

Do I need a CA licence or does it have to be part of an organised event/club group?

I know the Velodrome in Tempe does not get used that often can one just pay and go? does it have to be a track bike?

Hurstville Oval is outdoors, painted concrete and has a slight up and downhill straight on it. that's where I did my first track bike ride. Would be the easiest to sneak onto as well, it's around a council oval and as long as the gates are open it shouldn't cost a cent. I would think you'd be frowned upon taking a non-track bike onto Dunc Gray.

In years gone by you could jump the fence at Tempe, lidcome or merrylands.

Hurstville Oval is outdoors, painted concrete and has a slight up and downhill straight on it. that's where I did my first track bike ride. Would be the easiest to sneak onto as well, it's around a council oval and as long as the gates are open it shouldn't cost a cent. I would think you'd be frowned upon taking a non-track bike onto Dunc Gray.

well I am not sure I want to be sneaking in or jumping the fence with my TT bike and my Mrs!!

Is there a legal way to do it? Dunc Gray is extremely far way for me but Tempe is pretty close.

why would they not allow one to pay and enter the facility? Its just sitting there being used twice a week for a couple of hours by a cycling club........ seems like a real waste.

So had my second go at the track doing the aero testing with Alex last weekend......love it its awesome just smooth and you can get into a great rhythm. I would like to do some of my training on a track ..... where in Sydney?

If you want to try RAW at Dunc Gray I'm happy to lend you a bike

Mate join Dulwich Hill BC - best club in Sydney. Turn up at Tempe any Monday or Wednesday night from 6. Join up and smash the other clubs again at RAW.

thanks but I am not actually interested in racing track at all at this stage. I would just like to do some training, specifically TT intervals as it is certainly way more enjoyable than the trainer and a lot safer than the road.

I am just not sure why a track facility like that in Tempe and others are so under utilised? is it to do with insurance issues?

If you want to try RAW at Dunc Gray I'm happy to lend you a bike

thanks for the offer

Bankstown Sports run a training session on Wednesdays (I think) at Dunc Gray. They do a 40k ride 'above the blue line' where you can hop on or hop off at your leisure. If that's not to your liking you can do your own thing I believe.

Buy a cheap track frame , put some TT bars on it, replicate you tri bike position, dial in your gear and prepare for pain.

If you have a cycling license I believe you can use dunc grey during office hours for $10 or at least it used to be.

I am happy to get a cycling licence but it seems aside from racing track or joining an organised track training session one cannot just rock up and ride the track if its not being used am I right?

Incorrect. Hurstville Oval is a council field as far as I know. No steep banks but an uninterrupted off road TT effort is available for free.

Dunc Gray would be limited by insurance issues, and from my understanding you are not allowed to ride it unless on a track bike, may be different if you hire the venue a la Alex S testing sessions

Hurstville as Parkside said. I've done a bit of training on the TT there on Saturday mornings a few years ago.

The only issue is timing as a lot of locals actually use the track to run / walk / exercise. But if you are flexible with time you should be ok, just give the council a call to find out opening times and also when the cricket team is using the field.