Cyclists down

Just caught on the news about a group of cyclists down on Southern Cross Drive, Mascot. They said something like "a car ploughed into the group and there are reports of several injuries"

be careful out there.

I drove past there about 45min ago. There were six bikes on the road, one of which was still under the front of the car. The passenger side windscreen looked like a rock had been dropped on it

Looked very nasty, hopefully there were no trannies involved

what were cars doing on the road anyway.

I think most groups who ride south from the city around 6:00am to Waterfall would be heading back around that time.You would think that a large pack would be visible.

The bit that actually scares me the most is heading South through the airport tunnel (where you sit in the middle lane).

No freeway entrance that I could see in the following footage! Hope everyone from here is safe?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=596204293805548&set=vb.327149040711076&type=2&theater

Not really a "freeway", I think the speed limit is 80kph but that is the lane coming from Wentworth Ave heading North in that footage.

Thoughts and prays to those involved.

The comments on some of the news articles are truly disgusting.

i use to do that ride many years ago every weekend. i can imagine the comments having received a few first hand.

i use to think the scarier part was around 6 am heading south. passengers were pissed (may be drivers as well) and would hang out of vehicles and the odd bottle would get thrown.

reports are slightly more positive now. saying not critical but serious injuries.

I would like to see the police contacting some of the more vitriolic commenters to caution against inciting violence.

Great (and amazing) to hear that no lives were lost in that crash - hope everyone recovers well physically and mentally.

According to the easts facebook, 1 is out of hospital, the other five made it through surgery. Injuries not life threatening remarkably.

When they figure out what happened to cause such an inexcusable accident I hope the appropriate penalty is applied.

Edited by george-bob
IronmanFoz, on 16 Mar 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

what were cars doing on the road anyway.

I think most groups who ride south from the city around 6:00am to Waterfall would be heading back around that time.You would think that a large pack would be visible.

The bit that actually scares me the most is heading South through the airport tunnel (where you sit in the middle lane).

Firstly not even sure how to take the first comment...

secondly I know it's popular place to ride, but the airport tunnel is way too dangerous, go around it, longer way but so much safer

The "not a safe place to ride" arguement has been getting a lot of air over this.

I suppose being only an 80k zome with 3 lanes that bit of road has the opportunity to be as safe as it gets especially on a weekend morning.

While there are places we can and do choose not to ride, in reality everywhere should be a safe place to ride if drivers drive with due care and attention and know and obey the road rules.

Why not close off 1 lane for bikes on Sunday mornings only from 4am to mid-day.

There is precedent for Sunday morning road closures in other cities (Tokyo, Sao Paulo, etc), it would have minimal effect on traffic that time of day, and it would encourage healthy and safe riding?

If successful, I would also like Pittwater Road closed off all day Sunday (joking, sort of).

I hear you roxii

Yep three lanes of traffic, 80ks and hour, sweeping bend, merging lane, sun in the eyes... yep has the opportunity to be safe I suppose, but unfortunately as the weekend showed it also has the opportunity to be really dangerous.

I know personally that you can avoid it, and that's what I choose to do... I like riding but I like getting home safely as well... each to their own I guess

The whole drivers need to drive with due care and attention grates with me a bit... Crashes happen when you use the roads. Cars, trucks, buses, bikes collide in endless combinations every day. No where is safe from a crash, some places the consequences are higher

• Like 1

Why not close off 1 lane for bikes on Sunday mornings only from 4am to mid-day.

There is precedent for Sunday morning road closures in other cities (Tokyo, Sao Paulo, etc), it would have minimal effect on traffic that time of day, and it would encourage healthy and safe riding?

If successful, I would also like Pittwater Road closed off all day Sunday (joking, sort of).

Pretty sure Beach Road in Melb is No Standing until about 10am on weekend mornings so cyclists have the left hand lane without having to weave around parked cars.

I have no knowledge of this particular incident, but as a general comment, I find these fully lane marked roads with a speed limit of 80kph or less the most dangerous places of all to ride. General Holmes Drive as an example in Sydney or in my area the three laned road around the Steelworks. The Road Rules place no onus on a driver to stay left and a driver obeying the speed limit is routinely passed on the left which as an act itself is totally legal. A slow moving (relative to traffic) bunch is hidden by a huge blind spot as a driver passes a car on the inside. These type of roads promote cars zipping in and out of traffic and are just downright dangerous. It is just the way it is. Contrast that with a centreline only type street where no one looks to pass on the left unless there is a stationary vehicle with a right indicator on and things are much more predictable as a rule.

The "not a safe place to ride" arguement has been getting a lot of air over this.

I suppose being only an 80k zome with 3 lanes that bit of road has the opportunity to be as safe as it gets especially on a weekend morning.

While there are places we can and do choose not to ride, in reality everywhere should be a safe place to ride if drivers drive with due care and attention and know and obey the road rules.

i don't think that is reality so to speak.

a few years ago my wife was riding with a support vehicle behind their group. a young dui driver slammed into the back of vehicle. the riders and vehicle were.in a shoulder of a 2 lane road i.e. the guy had 2 whole lanes to miss them. but for vehicle, i hate to think. guy did a good job on himself apparently.

yes he should not have been driving, yes he should have driven around them, yes he should care about others and himself. but is that reality ?

riding on that road is a.calculated.risk for each individual to make.

I hear you roxii

Yep three lanes of traffic, 80ks and hour, sweeping bend, merging lane, sun in the eyes... yep has the opportunity to be safe I suppose, but unfortunately as the weekend showed it also has the opportunity to be really dangerous.

I know personally that you can avoid it, and that's what I choose to do... I like riding but I like getting home safely as well... each to their own I guess

The whole drivers need to drive with due care and attention grates with me a bit... Crashes happen when you use the roads. Cars, trucks, buses, bikes collide in endless combinations every day. No where is safe from a crash, some places the consequences are higher

Just out of curiosity, which way do you go? I can only think of a combination of Rocky Point Road and the Princes Hwy to maybe Qantas Drive. Rocky Point Road would only be one lane on a weekend with parked cars. The Princes Hwy has 2 lanes with parked cars in the 3rd, and 70kmh for a lot of it. Qantas Drive has a pretty wide shoulder for a bit but then you still have to merge with cars going 80kmh (I think, maybe only be 70??). If you move into back streets you are then down to a single lane, lots of drive ways and parked cars. If I'm on my own riding to work I can do most of it on a bike path, but in a group of 6 or more I really can't think of any other options.

Happy to be told of other ways. Local knowledge can be helpful from a local.

Kylee

west botany street, then bestic, in saying that most of the people I ride with either drive or ride to tempe and go from there, there is km's of road to the south, don't really feel it's necessary to play in the traffic closer to town

I'd agree with Kal, in a group it is the safest and quickest route - multiple lanes limited entry/exit points, generally good sight lines.

If you go solo you can skip those sections, i don't ride it solo but once i am with more than 6 - i take that route.

Large groups going via Botany Road/Gardeners Road is just more of a headache du top so many sections that are single lane and yet it is still a heavy truck route. Add in all the car doors opening and it isn't any safer.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-cyclist-loses-function-in-hand-after-collision-with-car-20140319-352wm.html

Sounds like a long road to recovery, and a while until we know the fate of the young man behind the wheel.

This woman's positive outlook and firm insistence on her rights are an inspiration.

Hopefully a silver lining here is that people see that cyclists aren't mad aggressive men in lycra with filthy attitudes.

Speaking from her bed in the Sydney Hospital Hand Unit, Ms McDonald said she was trying to stay positive, and simply felt sorry for the 28-year-old driver.

"I really feel very, very sad for him," she said.

this woman has a heart of gold and I wish her as swift a recovery as possible.

p.s. message to self. " do NOT ride on Southern Cross Drive" in a traffic lane

about 5 years ago I bike commuted from Botany along SCD in the breakdown lane and on to Narrabeen.... not any more.