Tough new Qld police laws in action

I am a great supporter of the Queensland Police crackdown on organised crime :smile1:

I truly feel sorry for the two police officers who were sent to Mt Cootha this morning to inspect bikes and fine those who did not have a bell :scared:

I later had coffee with two of the felons, both proudly wearing their club colours, and riding in a group (against the law in Queensland) they were not on Harleys and their club colours were Mary Ryans book shop jerseys (not the Finks - or Hells Angels) but still a treat to society.

Riding a bike without a bell is right up there with public urination and jaywalking. We don't need these types on Mt Cootha in the mornings, they're best off being drummed out of the sport.

Some idiot actually sent these officers out to do this - it's not their fault :shy:

• Like 1

Seriously?

Qld road rules state a bike must have one effective brake and a bell in working order. But still......seems a little over the top to book them.

Glad I live in Mexico, where the rule is one effective brake and a working bell or similar warning device

I agree there might be more to it. Unless only those few fellows were the only ones without bells, maybe they did something else to tick off the coppers who just then threw the book at them?

I would assume 99.9% of bikes up there wouldn't have had a bell

Yep, fair enough these guys were just doing their job. But obviously this is a law that needs to be scrapped. Ringing a bell while riding on the road is pointless, car drivers are not going to hear it. I have a bell on my commuter bike to warn other bikes and runners etc, even they pay no attention sometimes so I find yelling is the most effective warning method.

Harts- what's your opinion on bells on bikes?

Edited by AA7

I do not have one. I do not even have the slightest care in the world about traffic and issuing infringements.

I think the complaint about Mt Cootha is that bikes have actually been photographed by speed cameras going around cars on the wrong side of the road above the posted speed limit of 50 (at least 60km which is the activation point for the camera).

To pinch a bike rider for speeding you are not able to give a ticket, you have to send them to court. Traffic Police are great at issuing infringements but could not be bothered doing a court brief for each speeding cyclist. Hence the fall back position of checking for Bells.

I have my opinions on what traffic branch should be doing and it would revolve around stopping unlawful criminal enterprise by removing their drivers license but unfortunately the motoring public are a cash cow so that is not a reality.

It leaves a sour taste in peoples mouths who are one day going to be on a jury for a serious crime that real Police have investigated and that $30 or $40 bell ticket might be the vote that swings the decision in favour of the crook.

Guest Fatrunner

Front side, 90km/hr is easily achievable. Had a mate come off right next to me around 60 on the old road. Probably some reasonable deterrent to avoid sillyness. Bells? Come on..."

Front side, 90km/hr is easily achievable. Had a mate come off right next to me around 60 on the old road. Probably some reasonable deterrent to avoid sillyness. Bells? Come on..."

thats the thing. If you did 90km/hr in a car there it would be over a $1000 in fines and automatic 6 month loss of license for high speed. I guess flying under the radar and not trying to set land speed records would result in the Fuzz not heading out there to Police something so trivial.

You cannot be fined for speeding on a bicycle. The appropriate offence I believe is 'wrecklessly or furiously in NSW parlance. Dunno about up there.

I am filled with dismay when I hear about this stuff. I share a similar view to Harts.

Given that Oldave is a big believer in preaching to us all does he have a bell on his bicycle? An ashtray for his cigars?

Probably just filling the coffers before the rule is scrapped under the new reccomendations.

I think that the 1 metre passing rule will come in a bit late for the poor person who looked to have been "clipped" by the garbage truck near toowong and was being loaded into an ambo as I passed.

Although I am making an assumption that the Garbage truck that had pulled up ahead had hit the cyclist, he could have been a good samaritan stopping to help a triathlete lacking bike skills who may have just thrown himself onto the ground...

Assuming the truck did hit the cyclist maybe Harts can tell us what would happen to him under the new rule. Obviously didnt leave a metre, would the "I didnt see him" plea still work?

Probably just filling the coffers before the rule is scrapped under the new reccomendations.

I think that the 1 metre passing rule will come in a bit late for the poor person who looked to have been "clipped" by the garbage truck near toowong and was being loaded into an ambo as I passed.

Although I am making an assumption that the Garbage truck that had pulled up ahead had hit the cyclist, he could have been a good samaritan stopping to help a triathlete lacking bike skills who may have just thrown himself onto the ground...

Assuming the truck did hit the cyclist maybe Harts can tell us what would happen to him under the new rule. Obviously didnt leave a metre, would the "I didnt see him" plea still work?

As I said I don't do traffic.

I have a bell on the commuter is it does come in handy with some walkers - though some ignore it, some cannot hear it and some do get out of the way - bridges are worst with walkers walking side by side not moving over with common courtesy or runners who seem to think they are running and cannot slow down with their mate or partner next to them (coming opposite directions

Some have suggested (sometimes in a bad way) the idea of laws replacing common sense but some people need them or they roll our a tirade of BS about their rights and how no laws exist

I think the mt cootha example may come down to the cameras, locals and the ute drivers at the work sites - they have enough and need to be seen to be doing something

It IS stupid and impractical and would be better served sitting in known black spots or bike paths nabbing speeding cyclists and idiots walking side by side - they might actually listen to a cop suggesting they do things with common sense - but that is a community service not a revenue raining activity so does not fall under the police

this 1m rules in my mind will achieve at least an awareness people do NEED to provide room but yes when they do hit riders it will be the same old did not see them routine

This is the proposed change to legislation RE Bells.

The Committee recommends that the Minister for Transport and Main Roads:
 remove the requirement in road rule (section 258) for a bicycle to have a bell in working order and
 insert a new requirement into the road rules that a bicycle rider must give an audible warning of
their presence as near as practicable to, but before reaching, a pedestrian or a cyclist they are
approaching or passing.
There is plenty more good things that are coming as well. IE rolling through stop signs. Left turn on Red Arrow after stopping etc. Full list here.

Brilliant AA7 - I think I want one :-)

This practice of the cops catching speeding cyclists on Cootha and then booking them with whatever charge they can effectively use (thanks Harts for the explanation) is quite regular. You would be well advised to have a bell on your bike (or in your pocket at least) if you train there. It would probably also be a good idea to moderate your speed on the descent - you will infuriate drivers by going faster than them, and some of them will take out their anger on cyclists or make a complaint to the cops who will then get sent out to do a blitz on "cyclist safety" on Cootha.

I have bells on both my commuter bike and on my roadie. It's very useful on 'shared' paths - which I use a lot on my commuter, and occasionally on the roadie (eg. getting home from Southbank without upsetting the angry people on Wynnum Rd on Saturday mornings). It cost <$10, and attaches easily to the bars with a rubber o-ring.

Edited by Wardy

I take it that AP got a fine?

The new laws sound sensible. I don't ride with a bell (where would I fit my GPS, lights, salt stick dispenser, hydration monitor and bird feeding station) because they cause more trouble than they're worth. You ring the bell and all it does is tell a pedestrian (if they aren't deaf or wearing headphones) that you are there...somewhere. They also are often used in an aggressive and impatient manner which does nothing for cyclist-pedestrian (who are also invariably vehicle drivers too) relations. A nice, clear "passing on the right" from well behind followed by a "good morning/evening" on passing is much more effective and conveys a congeniality to the situation that you otherwise would not get. It humanises the cyclist. I only wish there was a way to do the same for vehicles.

Many moons ago in NSW, RTA funded overtime was common for the Cops and they (the RTA) got to pick what they got for their dough. I may have spent a whole shift harrassing helmetless hoons like TUV in the Burbs on double time. Their dime I guess.

just found out I know the rider hit...f*sk :pissedoff:

ridden with him on a few occasions and he is a regular and safe rider...waiting to hear about the actual incident before I rant too much...broken ribs and concussion in hospital.

not a triathlete either...

not sure if he got a chance to use his bell...

Edited by DingoDave

The Cops up there must have little to do if they are resorting to issuing on the spot fines for no bell on a push bike!! Yes, I know it's in the current QLD traffic laws but this is a joke & waste of time, money & resources. What Police Supervisor in their right mind would task his officers to go out & enforce the 'bell' law?? Surely there are more serious laws, traffic offenders & criminals they can target rather than this minor offence! I would bet that half the Cops up there that ride bicycles would Not have a bell on their own push bikes. Absolute waste of time & no wonder Cops get a bad name & people loose their respect for them!

Maybe, just maybe, this was an attempt to show the motoring public that cyclists are subject to police enforcement and thus take away the argument about us being a law unto ourselves?

To which I'll add: a stupid law is still a law. If the law says you need a bell and you don't have one then it's no one's fault but your own. I don't have a bell but I'm willing to risk the fine and will pay it if I ever get one.

• Like 1

I do not have one. I do not even have the slightest care in the world about traffic and issuing infringements.

I think the complaint about Mt Cootha is that bikes have actually been photographed by speed cameras going around cars on the wrong side of the road above the posted speed limit of 50 (at least 60km which is the activation point for the camera).

To pinch a bike rider for speeding you are not able to give a ticket, you have to send them to court. Traffic Police are great at issuing infringements but could not be bothered doing a court brief for each speeding cyclist. Hence the fall back position of checking for Bells.

Thanks for the explanation Harts.

They didn't go out to simply target cyclists over the bell law. But they went there to target cyclists for breaking a very REASONABLE law of speeding, and one that cars would be subjected to also. But, to save the court appearance thing, they would have had a chat to them about speed, and then pinged them for the bell for the sake of having a financial penatty for their speeding offence.

Kinda makes sense. Speeding on a bike is also dangerous. Often even moreso, as if the limit is there because of entering traffic/sight impediment etc, the cyclist will be far worse off if they have insufficient reaction time when a car does something stupid (or even wihtin the law)

Edited by The Turtle
  • Like 1

Here are a couple of the felons a real danger to society - That's "Bad Bill" and "Savage Sheena" - enjoying a coffee after their brush with the law

bill%2520and%2520sheena.jpg

I do really feel sorry for the police officers who joined the Queensland Police Service expecting to help make Brisbane a safer place for average Australians to live - then some imbecile sends them out to check bicycles for bells :shy:

We have to ask what is the next major campaign this imbecile will direct :shy:

Not like you weren't warned. They've been targetting bikies for weeks.

I have two questions

1 - Why ?

2 - Who would have given the order to go out and target bicycle bells ? (somebody must have made that decision. Someone down the chain of command between the premier ----- and the two officers out there embarrassing themselves checking bicycle bells)

This idiot who made that order should surely question the motives used to pursue this :scared:

I was joking. Not my idea of good use of resources. Stikman is probably closest. There was probably a letter or two from locals to either the cops or local member about cyclist conduct in the area. Now they can reply that they have tasked resources to the area and issued X tickets. Like I said earlier, could even have been the traffic authority up there and not the cops per se.

Somebody actually gave the order to the two embarrassed officers to go out and check bicycle bells - that somebody would have to be in uniform - that somebody is an idiot wasting resources and creating bad feelings out there in the cycling community :shy:

I understand fully if he has the same officers hide in the bushes like dogs and catch cyclists running red lights (I'm sure they would be happier with that job) at least it would serve some public safety purpose.

Somebody actually gave the order to the two embarrassed officers to go out and check bicycle bells - that somebody would have to be in uniform - that somebody is an idiot wasting resources and creating bad feelings out there in the cycling community :shy:

I understand fully if he has the same officers hide in the bushes like dogs and catch cyclists running red lights (I'm sure they would be happier with that job) at least it would serve some public safety purpose.

Somebody pointed out the cops need to go to court to nab speeding riders so they get the easy stuff when they pull over people for a warning - that mountain and many others have idiot cyclists coming down them thinking they are racing - we moan about cars not obeying laws but what about cyclists who run over the lines, speed down the hills

People run, walk and drive up there and many other hills across Australia yet some from each group think they are too cool for rules - I agree the bell thing is BS but a law is a law - and the things are useful occasionally - there are no bells on my road bike so maybe I would view it different if pinged for not having one - but if I was speeding and got done I would probably understand

Just like hoons they get pulled over for something and taken off the road for being too low, too loud - I am sure they argue they are harming nobody with a lowered car........

So AP, did these 2 public enemies mention whether the officers said anything at all about the speed they were riding? If as Harts says, the bell offence was to make up for the difficulty in issuing speeding offences, then fair cop (no pun intended). If however they were simply pulling everyone over to check bells, then that's crap.

Hopefully one of the outcomes of the recent inquiry, will be the ability to issue tickets for speeding which would solve this problem. Then again, maybe the reason this rule has never been repealed in the past is to allow police to issue on the spot tickets for something when they find a cyclist speeding.

I didn't actually get a ticket - I was warned and went down the other side - I don't have a bell on my bike - I'll have to zip tie one under my seat just to comply with this half wit law :scared:

I really feel sorry for the cops - when they're dealing with some serious issue there's always some asshole with a smart phone ready to film them (often defending themselves) and they get sent out to do shit like this - it's a tough job made tougher when orders like this are issued :shy:

Here are a couple of the felons a real danger to society - That's "Bad Bill" and "Savage Sheena" - enjoying a coffee after their brush with the law

This is a nice bookshop BTW - when in Brisbane been there a few times and they have a nice café out front

Hopefully the cops will not raid their shop/clubhouse looking for bells

Edited by bunny

Bad Bill and Sheena would have been flat out riding at 40kph - if I had of been coming down behind them I would have passed them at 20kph faster - the were simply pulled up for a bell check - they do it occasionally on the Coronation Dve bike path :shy: