Unzipped race suits...not OK

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think WE are making a mountain out of mole hill - not TA.   FM

but then who will see my heart rate monitor and know that i am well hard?   just to clarify, hard as in tough, the zipp doesn't go down that far.

I'm going to the Tri Awards dinner tonight. Dress is lounge suit.   I might unbutton my shirt and see if I get red carded !

I reckon they should have no shirts as compulsory, and sloggos only (bikini style for women) then maybe some triathletes would take a bit more pride in their appearance put down the bacon sandwich (with side of red rooster healthy choice chips) and actually get in racing shape.

For the love of God no!

What excuse would I have then?

I reckon they should have no shirts as compulsory, and sloggos only (bikini style for women) then maybe some triathletes would take a bit more pride in their appearance put down the bacon sandwich (with side of red rooster healthy choice chips) and actually get in racing shape.

I think you should go to Loganholme or Mt Gravatt as well, and see if people really care about their shape and what it looks like in skimpy clothes.

the threat of a DQ for a zip violation !!

still not as lame as the DQ given at Noosa recently for a 12 yr old boy handing his father a phone in the last 100m of the race so he could make contact and find them straight after ...as anyone who has been there it is a little busy around the finish area...

so some man boobs and grey chest hair is not ok but women can race in a postage stamp and all is good ?? even if they are size 18 ,,,

this Triathagig stuff just gets funnier :smile1:

Theres been a zip nazi at Bribie for years.

Fck he hated it when i had the full manifold out on a hot morning one time there.... Second time round i gave him a point and cupped my nuts...

still not as lame as the DQ given at Noosa recently for a 12 yr old boy handing his father a phone in the last 100m of the race so he could make contact and find them straight after ...as anyone who has been there it is a little busy around the finish area...

:

I agree that's a bit harsh but what did he need the phone for? If his family stayed where they were he knew where to find them - 100m from the finish line. Most competitors have family there and manage to find them without the need for a mobile.

The original post by TQ gave an explanation of why the rule exists. Things that were mentioned included sun safety, protection in case of a fall, and not being offensive to those with certain religious beliefs. I can't see that any of these is a valid reason.

• Like 1

Whats offensive about this??? :lol:

If anything the Japanese competitor in the white parachute tracky is way more offensive than me in flouro suggos running through a park in Bankstown.

2801849340101159333KRAtKx_fs.jpg

Ok I have secured the original picture so judge for yourself. I initially thought whilst eating lunch it was a piss take. I went away and came back an hour later and saw on my facebook feed this commotion about comments and it was subsequently removed.

Judge for yourself. I am totally offended.

TQ+Zip+Height.jpg

Edited by Harts

Ok I have secured the original picture so judge for yourself. I initially thought whilst eating lunch it was a piss take. I went away and came back an hour later and saw on my facebook feed this commotion about comments and it was subsequently removed.

TQ+Zip+Height.jpg

This is surely a joke. It's not April 1 is it. Some young kid in the office is playing with Meme generators or something.

Instead of policing Zips TQ technical should

1) Hold triathlons at night negating risk of sun exposure

2) Mandate full length motorcycle leathers in case someone falls and abrades their skin

3) Letterbox drop within a 50km radius and warn people of certain religious beliefs there will be lycra-clad people pursuing their sport with zips exposing chest and navel. Also warn them never to go to the beach or watch commercial TV

Hey TQ technical, how about posting pictures of blatant drafting and blocking as well as a gentle chat about dropping in on riders after you make an out of the saddle pass? That would be more useful.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I don't make the rules nor do I have any influence on this process. People are entitled to an opinion whether it be considered right, wrong or somewhere in between. I will collate the feedback and pass it on to the relevant parties.

This is a non-issue, I am not aware of anyone being given a time penalty or DQ at any stage for an unzipped trisuit. If anyone has seen a case of a DQ or time penalty for this I would be keen to hear from them at technical@triathlon.org.au.

I will seek some information from the various State and Territory Triathlon Associations (STTA) on what may be their individual interpretations of this rule and a clarification will be issued to all TO's.

• Like 1

Whats offensive about this??? :lol:

If anything the Japanese competitor in the white parachute tracky is way more offensive than me in flouro suggos running through a park in Bankstown.

2801849340101159333KRAtKx_fs.jpg

His arm is crossing the centre line. I'm offended anyone can run fast with form like that :)

TQ+Zip+Height.jpg

Sorry, that's just a joke. TQ should be ashamed.

I think we need a full explanation of why the rule is there.

M&M- is this something that you can provide or who could?

AA7 the rule requiring all competitors to have their 'chest' covered has been in place for years (about 10 I think). It's a TA rule and an ITU rule. I believe it was brought in with the aim of making the sport look more "professional" on TV as part of the campaign to get triathlon into the olympics.

I think what TQ were trying to do, was clarify how it could be interpreted. (But I agree, posting the pictures on FB was never going to end well!)

There really is no way to comprehensively define a rule like this. The 'common sense' approach (adopted by most female competitors) is along the lines of public decency (another nebulous concept) and keeping the nipples covered. But there will always be some guy complaining about this - so the rule got extended to not unzipping the suit. In fact under ITU rules, I believe that race suits with a zip in the front are not legal.

Of course ITU and WTC are different worlds.

So perhaps the great trannies collective intellect could come up with a way of unambiguously defining a rule that prevented racing completely topless?

Then we can submit that to the technical area of Triathlon Australia - via your state association if you like (but be aware that the state TOs are there to enforce the TA rules in sanctioned races).

To add: it's a bit like the requirement to wear your race number to the front on the run. I've never heard anyone DQd for it, but I've been told to move it - which I do (until it works its way around to the back again).

If you're asked to do up your zip in a race, why not just do it instead of wasting energy being angry?? If your reaction is to abuse the (volunteer) official who has asked you to do this, then I hope you get the penalty you deserve for that.

Move this to the Triathletes behaving badly thread?

You should be ashamed.

Haha I know. Funny thing is as I was running up to the finish line I tried to zip it up but discovered it was stuck. Don't worry though a new tri suit has been ordered.

I'm more concerned that you wore a tri suit on a MTB. I have to wear baggy shots over my bike shorts to ride my MTB.

There are style rules in MTBing, including guys in no visible lycra; girls are okay. :smile1:

This is a non-issue, I am not aware of anyone being given a time penalty or DQ at any stage for an unzipped trisuit. If anyone has seen a case of a DQ or time penalty for this I would be keen to hear from them at technical@triathlon.org.au.

I will seek some information from the various State and Territory Triathlon Associations (STTA) on what may be their individual interpretations of this rule and a clarification will be issued to all TO's.

Waffle, waffle, waffle.

If it's a non issue, get rid of the rule. End of story.

Pretty simple, and if you got to clarify that with the 7 dwarves it's very, very sad but then heh, a state association ran with it on the biggest social media platform in the world.

No wonder the sport has declined since it's hey day and can't get decent sponsors or exposure anymore.

More people enter colour runs to get dye thrown over them then enter a triathlon, why do you think that is ? How about you ask the STTA's whilst you're getting their views on zippers.

I will be running with my top zip down this weekend. Luckily I have left my kids at home, however if you think you'll be offended please avert your eyes.

I will probably be walking around recovery with it completely off (top that is). This is likely to cause even more offence and likely to get me band from the ice cream table.

• Like 1