What is a 'triathlete'?

Borne of the other thread and jimmys comment.

What is a triathlete? What is the stereotype in the wider public? What are our triathletes collective idiosyncrasies that make triathletes who they are? Do you have to race frequently and presently to be a triathlete, or not? Is it a mindset/label that enhances our self worth, and adds value to our lives?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elitist bullshit

Yep, you're a spanner. Would you also say that someone who doesn't earn their living from wanking is not a wanker?

If you are and have been involved that deeply the word triathlete would not need definition - my partner has been involved since a young age and now in 40's - nothing to do with the admin side like it

Easy. Someone who does triathlons.

Like a vegetarian is someone that eats vegetarian food.

Its not complicated really. And it doesn't have to be made to to appease a few egos that don't like to be in the same pool as someone who may be slower or less obsessive

• Like 1

I think you need to race regularly and I think you also need to have a certain level of fitness to be classified as a triathlete, I'm not talking superfit and you have to take into consideration age and personal circumstances, but if you're having to regularly walk on the run leg simply because you’re out of shape then you're not really a triathlete. It's swim, ride, run!

Edited by zed

I think you need to race regularly and I think you also need to have a certain level of fitness to be classified as a triathlete, I'm not talking superfit and you have to take into consideration age and personal circumstances, but if you're having to regularly walk on the run leg simply because youre out of shape then you're not really a triathlete. It's swim, ride, run!

Elitist bullshit

• Like 3

im a triathlete

Im not sure what that is or what it REALLY means to be one, I think if you know that you had to do tris back in the day when every race had a an up tide swim, massive hills on the bike with no traffic control , and did the run with your shirt off in only fluro speedos :-)

one thing I know for sure im not a cyclist

cheers

IP

Elitist bullshit

Considering I'm new to triathlon and have never competed in an IM and have fairly mediocre times to date, I don't think I can be accused of being elitist. Like I said it's a RUN not a walk. If you want to do bugger all training and walk the entire run leg of an IM and still call yourself a triathlete then go right ahead. I suppose a good analogy is the journalist with little climbing experience, in her 50s, who 'climbed' Everest. She had a porter carry all her gear and was tethered to two other porters who dragged her up the mountain. She had to be carried the final 800m. I suppose I'm being elitist and virtually the entire mountaineering community are being elitist for suggesting she actually didn't climb Everest...

Edited by zed

Considering I'm new to triathlon and have never competed in an IM and have fairly mediocre times to date, I don't think I can be accused of being elitist. Like I said it's a RUN not a walk. If you want to do bugger all training and walk the entire run leg of an IM and still call yourself a triathlete then go right ahead. I suppose a good analogy is the journalist with little climbing experience, in her 50s, who 'climbed' Everest. She had a porter carry all her gear and was tethered to two other reporters who dragged her up the mountain. She had to be carried the final 800m. I suppose I'm being elitist for suggesting she actually didn't climb Everest...

What about if I jog ?

Flew by itonce in a plane, seemed the way to do it..... Lol

And spot on, getting carried the last 800 don't count

And getting dragged up the mountain!

Pretty impressive when you realise Everest is the same height as the cruising altitude of a 747!

Wow.

I flew from India to Nepal, but missed the view as I was puking my guts up in the toilets (Deli Belly)

Pilot put it over the PA so everybody had a squiz. Weird landing in Kathmandu too, has all these bits of string hanging from the wings when the plane finally stopped.

I'm many things. One of them is a triathlete. I have done and plan to do triathlons.

If walking is not against the rules then that is an acceptable way to complete a triathlon.

I'm many things. One of them is a triathlete. I have done and plan to do triathlons.

If walking is not against the rules then that is an acceptable way to complete a triathlon.

And there's nothing in the rule book to say you can't be tethered to 2 porters and dragged up Everest. So our journo friend climbed Everest.

It seems these days, people want rewards, praise and recognition, but don't want to put in the effort. They want to put in the minimum required to get them over the line, get the medal and post photo on Facebook...

Edited by zed

Little Johnny, the JB Hifi counter worker,uni educated with the arts degree decides to do one whilst sipping a soy latte out the front of an Art gallery as a dare during a Facebook post and finishes to say he has done one.

Is he considered a triathlete? I guess so....

• Like 1

Little Johnny, the JB Hifi counter worker,uni educated with the arts degree decides to do one whilst sipping a soy latte out the front of an Art gallery as a dare during a Facebook post and finishes to say he has done one.

Is he considered a triathlete? I guess so....

He certainly was at some point. I guess if that was some time ago and he no longer participates in the sport, then perhaps he 'was' a triathlete rather than 'is' (as opposed to Ironman where once you have done one within 17hrs, you are forever and Ironman)

And there's nothing in the rule book to say you can't be tethered to 2 porters and dragged up Everest. So our journo friend climbed Everest.

Climbing Everest has no rules, it is not an organised sport. Therefore she summited Everest if she made it to the top.

To be a triathlete you have/do compete in triathlons which are an organised swim/bike/run event that has rules etc.

To put it another way, if i kick a soccer ball in the back yard, i am not a footballer. To be a footballer i would need to participate in an organised game of football and abide the rules of the game.

A triathlete is someone who competes in a triathlon, doesn't matter how fast or slow, what distance the race is, within the rules i.e. no flippers.

Is a Half Ironman considered an Ironman?

If I do 2 Halfs can I get a M Dot tatt?

Or just divorced/mid life crisis, can I bring my P5/Shiv down I just bought for an Enticer...... I wanna be a triathlete.

• Like 1

I can see where this is headed and it ain't pretty. Was it Trek52 who said that you could be considered an ironman only if you did it under 13 hrs? So will we now establish cutoff times for the other distances to be considered a 'triathlete'?

(I dont normally stir the pot but my shoulder pain is getting to me!)

Flew by itonce in a plane, seemed the way to do it..... Lol

And spot on, getting carried the last 800 don't count

Now they've made a helicopter that can reach the summit it won't be long before the whistle stop tours start.

Is a Half Ironman considered an Ironman?

If I do 2 Halfs can I get a M Dot tatt?

Or just divorced/mid life crisis, can I bring my P5/Shiv down I just bought for an Enticer...... I wanna be a triathlete.

Right now ha, ha!

I am a triathlete

I am a triathlete

Don't know what I want

But I know how to get it.

I wanna destroy the passerby

'Cos I wanna be triathlete,

No dogs body

Triathlon for the World

It's coming sometime and maybe

I give a wrong time stop a traffic line.

Your future dream is a shopping scheme

Cause I wanna be triathlete,

It's in the city

How many ways to get what you want

I use the best I use the rest

I use the enemy.

I use triathlon

'Cause I wanna be triathlete,

It's the only way to be

Is this the MPLA

Or is this the UDA

Or is this the IRA

I thought it was the Triathlon

Or just another country

Another council tenancy.

I wanna be an triathlete

And I wanna be an triathlete

(Oh what a name)

And I wanna be an triathlete

(Again, I'm pissed, destroy)

Hey I paid a squillon dollars and got airlifted in a Chopper, I'm on top of the world in my North Face Gear..Tweet, status update.....I've done Everest.

I wore my tighty whitey singlet and got covered in paint, wrecked my Kayano 20's and my Forerunner 910 I got for it though ... It's a fun run...... I'm now a Runner though.

The list is endless......

A triathlete is someone who:

- Is not a good enough swimmer to be called a swimmer

- Is not a good enough cyclist to be called a cyclist

- Is not a good enough runner to be called a runner

Actually, on the second one, what do you call someone who rides a bike but has never entered a race and has no intention of doing so?

I think you need to race regularly and I think you also need to have a certain level of fitness to be classified as a triathlete, I'm not talking superfit and you have to take into consideration age and personal circumstances, but if you're having to regularly walk on the run leg simply because you’re out of shape then you're not really a triathlete. It's swim, ride, run!

yeah. really dumb comment. bet you wear compressions socks and tell people your splits.. like anyone even knows what you're talking about !

so far nearly every one of your comments are just stupid.

according to official rules of TRIATHLON, you are allowed to walk - "My Friend" !

Edited by louey

I can see this thread getting to at least 5 pages, along with the other threads that bang on about nothing....it reminds me of Womans Day magazine....The stuff people feel matters.

Is turtle Ita? :sleepy:

fluro

Edited by fluro2au

I tend to agree. The 17 hour cut off time is ridiculously generous, people know they can get away with doing very little training and are still able to complete an Ironman within the cutoff time. Someone of average fitness could do the swim leg breaststroke, cruise the bike leg on a mountain bike, walk the marathon and still make the cutoff time. With zero training you're an Ironman,,, it makes a mockery of the sport and is a smack in the face for anyone that's slogged their guts out for month after month training for the event.

Care factor - ZERO

I'm new to triathlon, I ride a $200 bike and no idea what a split is. So you're wrong if you think I'm some super-triathlete pouring scorn on all the gumbies out there. I'm pouring scorn on all the people out there seeking praise and recognition without putting in any effort i.e plastering their facebook wall with photos and posts about their 'triathlon achievements'. I don't have a problem with someone who rocks up and bimbles round the course in whatever time - just do it for yourself not your hundreds of facebook pals.

Then you need to articulate your opinion better.

...it makes a mockery of the sport and is a smack in the face for anyone that's slogged their guts out for month after month training for the event.

No more than a hacker going around a golf course shooting 100+. Ironically the only people likely to take this as a "smack in the face" are the same ones you are referring to who identify greatly with being a triathlete and post it all over Facebook and other social media. Most well adjusted people couldn't give a toss.

Then you need to articulate your opinion better.

No more than a hacker going around a golf course shooting 100+. Ironically the only people likely to take this as a "smack in the face" are the same ones you are referring to who identify greatly with being a triathlete and post it all over Facebook and other social media. Most well adjusted people couldn't give a toss.

Good point :)

Edited by zed

Ok, i will be the spanner.

Everyone on this forum participates as a lifestyle or pastime outside of their job, in triathlons.

If it doesnt earn you a living your not a triathlete.

Yep, you're a spanner. Would you also say that someone who doesn't earn their living from wanking is not a wanker?

• Like 2

By definition a triathlete would be any one competing in 3 consecutive sports. Sbr is just the most popular. All competitors that complete the 3 disciplines would be termed an athlete, some good some not so good.