New TV - advice please

My son just dropkicked his bottle into our TV and put a nice big crack in it.

I'm now obviously in the market for a new TV. 40 or 42 inch and I think this one is/was a Samsung LCD.

What do you recommend?

Edited by wardie

Wardie,

I feel your pain. My son threw the wii into our 42in Toshiba LCD. My wife went off her nuts and my 7 yo ran!!!!!! Unfortunately he ran upstairs instead of down the street.

Seriously though what can you do. Other than educate them (you may have difficult with a 3 yo, but at least my kids now always use the safety strap!!!!

I did make them go without the TV for about 8 weeks, then Aldi had a 46in Brauhn TV come up for $599 and to be honest 10 times better than what we had.

Unless you desperate I'd wait for the next round of Aldi TV's as there last 55in was $699 I think.

Also; to get your screen fixed it is not worth it. Cost = Approx $2K so essentially your TV is now junk. But.....do you have breakage insurance (accidental). If not get it!!! And hold you TV until you do and then make the claim. :)

I called our contents insurer and I'm not covered for accidental breakage. And I guess by calling them I'm now not able to get it then claim.

We will be going without a tv for a while. But the Champions League's just started so it's me that's hurting.

What is Kogan?

We bought a Samsung 42" 2011 since then we have had the screen replaced twice and the motherboard once, only original thing is the stand. Wait for Aldi sale, or try an alternative brand, would not recommend Samsung. After service was efficient, but a PIA non the less.

*not a "vent" just our experience

My advice is -

Buy any HDMI cables etc online rather than paying bootloads more at a department store.

Also - If you spending say 800 on a TV that comes with a 1-year warranty, I personally would not pay for extra money for another 12 or 24-month warranty. In Australia you have a statutory warranty, it is harder to process if you TV does have an issue, but basically if your product fails within a timespan that is too short for the expected like span then the company has to either rectify the problem or replace the product.

If you have children issues, avoid Samsung. Screens while excellent are very fragile with respect to pokes and bumps.

The picture and sound is inferior compared to the Samsung.

I'm sure my youngest will test out the screen's durability.

Just bought a Samsung on the grounds that the last one lasted 7 years, including 3 moves - one of which was a long boat ride in a container. It survived pokes, prods and all sorts of food-stuffs being massaged into it - it still works and will move into another room.

I bought a 2011 Plasma model that had been on display and got it at half price. I worked on the principles that it has a limited lifetime anyway, pokes and prods will still happen, and therefore if it goes kaput I won't feel so bad at having spent a shed-load of cash.