The Pro DNF

This is the problem isn't it? We haven't really got a complete explanation as to why he pulled out so all commentary is speculation.

Maybe the topic should be "Do pros owe fans a detailed explanation when they pull out of races?".

Of course they dont owe us anything. But it may be good marketing to do so on the front foot.

Noone holds a gun to these guys heads and makes them become a pro triathlete. Its a lifestyle job, albeit a tough one. And sport at these levels is a business.

Pros can do as they like, just dont complain when the sponsors money dries up when you dont represnt them well.

FFS Not that old chestnut again.

OK so lets ensure people quote all their qualifications before posting on anything.

If you havent been at least national champion/ ceo/ president of whatever the hell it is you want to speak about dont bother posting.

Mate

I won the golden dunny brush back in 88, beat all comers including the late great mark pringle.... That gives me the right to comment on anything and everything with the contempt that an internet chat site deserves.

Well.... Has anyone sen Terrenzo's legs ? He left them in LA apparently. What an unfortunate circumstance, competing in an athletic event heavily reliant on legs, and you leave yours at home ?!?

Who knew he had detachable legs anyway ??? Are they like oscar pistorious' ones ? Maybe thats the bigger story here, "legless triathlete gives it a crack as a professional". Geez good on 'im, young battla....

So was it a landmine or something ?

Edited by yoyo

Well.... Has anyone sen Terrenzo's legs ? He left them in LA apparently. What an unfortunate circumstance, competing in an athletic event heavily reliant on legs, and you leave yours at home ?!?

Who knew he had detachable legs anyway ??? Are they like oscar pistorious' ones ? Maybe thats the bigger story here, "legless triathlete gives it a crack as a professional". Geez good on 'im, young battla....

. He might know stumper Kelly

id suggest you might have it back to front- what they are doing isnt detracting from their sponsors perception its adding to it

often these guys know they are not up to racing but they at least show up/start to make their sponsors happy (the sponsors know they arent 100% but they still can advertise the athlete being there)

if Terrenzos sponsors were not happy he wouldnt have any

personally i think it shows smarts pulling out when not 100%- I couldnt give a toss about a pro walking to the finish- whatever- my mother could do that- it proves nothing when we are talking about guys who are going to racing 30+ IM's in their career. They arent desk jockeys doing it to prove their commitment or whatever AG think it shows.

Lets get to the bottom of this

1 - Terenzo has a better tan than Yo-Yo

2 - He has a cool Italian name - much cooler than Yo-Yo

3 - He can pull the chicks - cool Kiwi with an Italian name

4 - This isn't about him pulling out of a race :shy:

GOLD!

QUALITY!

that probably is the only explanation and he should have said that.

Maybe he didn't feel the need to use excuses or make a big song and dance about it, "I wasn't feeling it so I pulled out."

Edited by 0psi

Maybe he didn't feel the need to use excuses or make a big song and dance about it, "I wasn't feeling it so I pulled out."

That in a professional environment would be completely unacceptable and would show unprofessional attitude. A race for a pro is equivalent to an important event for a company which they need to win in order to get more business. Can you imagine someone pulling out half way through a company meeting citing "not feeling it". No one gives a toss about excuses - the said person will be executed..

You lost all credibility with those two simple words!

Tough if something has not gone well in prep people are very quick to brand reasons as excuses. Looks like he tried to just keep it vague to avoid the 'just making excuses' criticism. Yu can't win sometimes. Personally I like Terenzo, and think he'll give Vegas a real nudge.

That in a professional environment would be completely unacceptable and would show unprofessional attitude. A race for a pro is equivalent to an important event for a company which they need to win in order to get more business. Can you imagine someone pulling out half way through a company meeting citing "not feeling it". No one gives a toss about excuses - the said person will be executed..

Yet in another profession, lets say a primary school teacher. You'd probably prefer if they applied a professional attitude by calling in sick or excusing themselves so they didn't pass on their infection.

An athlete (for an individual sport) is more akin to a sole trader, they get paid for the work they do. No sick or holiday pay etc.

Any day off work is lost income, so you weigh up the damages. Carry on despite being crook and make yourself worse prolonging your illness or stop and return to health as soon as possible.

Better to lose one race than lose many races because you ignore health.

Here's a challenge for those that say "piss weak/soft"

Starting this coming Monday.

You are to resign from your full time job, although can do part time if you chose.

You now HAVE to train efficiently and effectively each week for 12-24months. that could be 20 to 30hrs per week every week or whatever your professional coach has set you for best performance .

You will have to race regularly (not the handful of times as you would now).

You will have to travel to races and not rely on local events.

You will have to vary your race types from short to long, picking your niche area for main targets.

You can not have only one or two targets per year but many.

Results will be important, you will need to place in the top 5 on all occasions baring those form building races/

Results will also be depending race size ie:championship level races were top 10 maybe considered successful.

You won't have any leeway in regards to injury, illness and well being.

You will have to set a suitable race program and then have room for improvisation pending unforeseen circumstances.

Enjoyment of a race is now irrelevant but will help performance if you do.

Finally, to avoid calls of "Piss weak, Soft you are to complete every race/event regardless of injury/illness/fatigue etc.

Oh yeah,, and finish high enough up the order relative to your peak results let alone be beaten by lesser peers.

Being weak as piss is not always in relation to their physical effort.

I sit my ass on a saddle 23hrs a week and still cry like a Beiber fan when I get dropped every week at Nundah.

10k's in !!!!! C'mon ! Gimme a break ! Thats not even enough time to get your balls arranged on the seat properly !

One of his legs didnt fall off, its a 90k bike, its not that taxing.

I understand the 'saving yourself' rationale, completely agree.... But hey, 10k's...seriously ?

He was pretending he was Macca (kona last year) :)

Considering YoYo started the topic - what's your thoughts on TGE pulling out of Challenge Penticton today on the run?

I'm surprised he got that far.

If he honestly plans on racing Kona, there was no way he would finish that run leg.

what's your thoughts on TGE pulling out of Challenge Penticton today on the run?

Pulling out on the run leg of a full is pretty different than 10 k into the bike of a half.

the contract with Challenge would be pretty specific about what was expected of him too, I'd reckon.

Makes perfect sense if he's doing Kona - probably a pretty good training day. Don't think he was ever focused on winning/placing in this event and I'm sure Challenge got what they needed from Macca i.e. plenty of publicity for the event.