IM race report for the data guys

Just reading about everyone's exploits at IMUK and came across this RR. It's very long, not particularly funny, but is very detailed and is IMO an excellent account of how someone at the pointy end would think and execute a great race (not that I'll ever know LOL).

I was amazed the guy does not have a coach.

http://rowerunning.co.uk/2013/08/ironman-uk-2013/

Saw that the other day and thought it was a good read. I particularly liked the approach to dinner the night before. On the data side he knows his numbers but I thought had a good race because they were only a part of his execution plan and shows what can happen when you enter race mode instead of robot mode.

Great read and he managed to do it without and aero helmet arent they worth 25min in an ironman ??

In all seriousness, is 10 hrs a usual 40-44 winning time ? Is that all it takes to get to Kona ? 10 hours would be really hard but I am sure with enough training it could be acheiveable for most people ??

Depends on the course, conditions, field etc.

40-44 in AUS needs a < 9h30mins at Port and Cairns, and closer to 9hrs in Busso and Melbourne.

What a fantastic read.

It inspires me to get back into shape and aim for a fast race rather than just going around.

Same as Dingo. I loved that graph at the end.

Trek, as you probably already know, often things look easy on paper but executing them can be somewhat harder in reality.

Edited by ratdog
Guest Fatrunner

A friend of mine put a 10:12 in at hawaii last year and went 10:17 at this year's IMUK after a marathon pb as well as some serious bike and swim improvement. Easily half an hour slower than port mac and closer to an hour slower than Ironman Mel.

A friend of mine put a 10:12 in at hawaii last year and went 10:17 at this year's IMUK after a marathon pb as well as some serious bike and swim improvement. Easily half an hour slower than port mac and closer to an hour slower than Ironman Mel.

I keep telling you guys that most tri courses in the UK are pretty tough. Inconvenient truth there :lol:

Here the profile for my first ever tri there. One aid station on the bike giving only water, one aid station one the run (passed twice).

http://www.trihard.co.uk/ADIL/ADIL%20cycle%20route.htm

http://www.trihard.co.uk/ADIL/ADIL%20run%20route.htm

Swim was flat :thumbsup:

Edited by FatPom

3 gels an hour all the way through? Iron guts.

6 foot 4 as well, impressive stuff

cool weather so less sports drink, more carbs through another source.

I think there is a good chance a lot of peoples nutrition overload problems are due to pace as much as nutrition. If you cant get your planned nutrition down at that speed, you are too optimistic with either or both the variables.

Great read and he managed to do it without and aero helmet arent they worth 25min in an ironman ??

In all seriousness, is 10 hrs a usual 40-44 winning time ? Is that all it takes to get to Kona ? 10 hours would be really hard but I am sure with enough training it could be acheiveable for most people ??

Subtle as a sledgehammer there trek. :sly:

FatPom - thanks for linking to my report and also the kind words. I really don't know how I'd get on with a coach. My work is quite flexible and I think fitting a fairly structured plan into my free time would be a right pain to do and would need constant adjustment. Maybe I'll try it one day...

truck - re: race execution plan. You're right. I'm on OK swimmer, an improving cyclist and an OK runner and most importantly I can put an OK/improving/OK together on the day which what equals a good performance. You've got to deliver on race day.

AA7 - oh that photo made me (and my wife) laugh. Brilliant. I'll probably leave the facial hair there (if it's good enough for Faris al Sultan...) but I think the legs will need a tidy up! I'm sure I was the only guy on the AG podium with hairy legs!

I'm really not sure about the race numbers being covered on the upper arms. Same thing with the AG 'tattoo' that we had to wear on our calf. Many people didn't wear them or had them covered by compression gear. I guess these are just additional identification aids on top of the mandatory race number/belt.

Re: getting more aero. I think I probably could... this position came from a retul fit earlier this year. I'll probably drop one of the aero bar risers at some point but its always the compromise of being more aero makes the bike quicker, but may not help for the run....

Number20 - Re: negative split... Based on my GPS saying 26.66 miles, the first 13.33 were in 1:46:35. The second half was 1:39:55. Wow. I didn't even realise it was that much.

Thanks once again to those who managed to get through the whole report. I think it probably took longer to write than to do the actual race!

Number20 - Re: negative split... Based on my GPS saying 26.66 miles, the first 13.33 were in 1:46:35. The second half was 1:39:55. Wow. I didn't even realise it was that much.

well done dave on your race and your improvement

you will love kona its will be even more exciting than even you can imagine, make sure you take time to see the whole island its an amazing place (apart from the race) keep away from waikki just go for a look that's all youll need

I think the main thing from your race is the negative spilt ( you really did have a day out)

there very very few people who neg split an IM marathon

good work

cheers

IP

• 1 month later...

Hiya. I thought I'd just pop in to let you know that I still haven't shaved my face and now one of my mates who's out here racing in Kona on Saturday is calling me Spike after the chap in the movie Notting Hill!!!!

I've been here in Kona for three weeks now (yes, lucky bugger) and have been posting a daily diary from the island. If anyones interested in what's been going on and how race week comes about and takes over the town then have a read at http://rowerunning.co.uk/kona-diaries-2013/

Thanks.

I just spent a very pleasant couple of hours reading your blogs Dave. Amazing perspective from someone who was there before the hoopla started, and great to see you took an interest in the local culture. Brilliant reading :)