Sunday Night - Channel 7

I'm already angry!

"Cyclists vs. motorists: which side of the fence do you sit? Your opinion may change after watching this Sunday Night investigation."

Why is it 'vs'. This type of title/sub title is partly the cause of the mindstate of motorists and cyclist. It's made to be an us vs them the two aren't mutually exclusive we can co-exist.

Derryn Hinch: is going to make me GRRRR on Sunday, I do agree though that registering cyclists could change the attitude of some. This would need to be done at no extra cost to cyclists though. Registration would make cyclists more accountable on the road, I abide by all laws on the road and it pisses me off when I see others riding through red lights and breaking the law because I know it angers motorists and over time the aggression will come back to hurt me.

Yeah I haven't thought of a viable solution for that. I'm sure there is someone smarter than me out there that can. Nothing will be aero enough though :P

I have a solution, just designed and lodged for patenting my aero, carbon rego plate for cyclists and even flashier ones for triathletes. I am going to become a milionaire on the back of angry drivers, well healed cyclists and obsessive triathletes. Woohoo :smile1:

I rode during early peak hour for the first time in a while and for once I sort of get why cars think cyclists are assholes. I could not believe how poorly the riders were behaving going into the CBD. It was an absolute free for all - Weaving, Jumping in and out of lanes, running reds, you name it - they were doing it.

I had always been a little confused with the hate as I do most of my riding early and not usually on weekday peak hour, but what that means is that the people I see on the bike usually are CYCLISTS and the ones I saw yesterday morning were COMMUTERS who happen to be riding a bicycle. They were acting completely different and I can understand why people would think we are all assholes if that is their main exposure to cyclists whilst they are in the car going to work EVERY DAY.

I have a solution, just designed and lodged for patenting my aero, carbon rego plate for cyclists and even flashier ones for triathletes. I am going to become a milionaire on the back of angry drivers, well healed cyclists and obsessive triathletes. Woohoo :smile1:

Can I get a titanium version? Or something hip for the fixie?

Ah the fixie version - you'll be wanting the LED version then - name the colour of your light!

Anodised blue of course, to go with the deep dish rims, hubs, chainring bolts, headset, bartape & seat, and brakes.

Can I get a titanium version? Or something hip for the fixie?

Wouldnt you just wedge them in the spokes? Next to your playing cards...

More gutter journalism. Dont watch it, you are just increasing their revenue and the likelihood they will stir it up again.

The fact that a thread has been started is already giving them publicity.

If you are hoping for anything other than video footage of arguments, fights and both sides doing the wrong thing I think you will be dissapointed.

from Sunday Night program.

Motorists and cyclists share our roads, but their interactions are often explosive - and sometimes lethal. On Sunday's show, we look at both sides of the cyclist vs. driver debate - it'll change the way you look at those you share the road with. See it at the special time of 8pm Sunday.

I think many are jumping to conclusions before seeing what they have to report.

My first impressions :-

The Title relating to War on roads is one that creates shock value to draw an audience..

The quotes of Derryn Hinch relate to his comments in 2011 regarding the Warnie v's cyclist incident. The video looks to have him back as part of this new report as a vocal anti -cyclist??.

Mark Skaife appears to put the brakes on Hinch from that small video grab.

The words of "It'll change the way you look at those you share the roads with" lead me to think it maybe a more positive light towards cycling (or at least balanced compared to many other "news" stories on the same subject) or perhaps a warning that these are some of the people/attitudes you maybe confronted with when cycling/driving.

Usually if it's a story done by an arrogant/naive type respective they tend to described it negative towards cyclists eg:Scrouge of the streets or lycra brigade etc.

Have to wait and see,

Yeah I haven't thought of a viable solution for that. I'm sure there is someone smarter than me out there that can. Nothing will be aero enough though :P

What if we had like race bib numbers we just pinned to our jersey (washable to you didn't have to take them off)

when you pay your rego you get 3-4 so you don't have to keep changing them from jeryey to jersey like if your wearing layers in winter

What if we had like race bib numbers we just pinned to our jersey (washable to you didn't have to take them off)

when you pay your rego you get 3-4 so you don't have to keep changing them from jeryey to jersey like if your wearing layers in winter

Ok, so you get 4, I buy 2 off you (or just "borrow" them permanently while you're sipping a post ride latte) meaning I can now do whatever I want and no one will ever blame me. Sounds like a plan!

What if i cut derryn up with a jig saw and used him for crab bait ?

You'd have to be careful what blades you used, as many in jigsaws really aren't designed to cut deeper than a few cm's. I have a reciprocating saw here you could borrow though. Should do the job. Sure dexter would like one (granted it's noisier than he'd like).

What if i cut derryn up with a jig saw and used him for crab bait ?

Its already been tried... the Perish brothers had a crack at it a few years back and chucked the body in the Nambucca river up the coast. Crabs don't eat the body parts and they bloat and come to the surface. They even made a TV series about it which was one of the best and most accurate portrayals of true crime Ive ever seen.... wasn't much fun for the guys that had to do the job... truth is stranger than fiction.

Its already been tried... the Perish brothers had a crack at it a few years back and chucked the body in the Nambucca river up the coast. Crabs don't eat the body parts and they bloat and come to the surface. They even made a TV series about it which was one of the best and most accurate portrayals of true crime Ive ever seen.... wasn't much fun for the guys that had to do the job... truth is stranger than fiction.

Yep- best of the Underbelly series. The body was dumped in the Hastings River at Wauchope, was it not?
  • Like 1

In the show they interview Gab. She has now been graded as a "T2" in paraolympic terms. She is now focused on trying to get to Rio. Amazing person. I know most people would have given up hope on everything a few years ago but she has never complained - just worked hard to make the best out of a terrible situation.

FM

• Like 1

In the show they interview Gab. She has now been graded as a "T2" in paraolympic terms. She is now focused on trying to get to Rio. Amazing person. I know most people would have given up hope on everything a few years ago but she has never complained - just worked hard to make the best out of a terrible situation.

FM

She is one of the most amazing people I know. It's been incredible how positive Gabby has remained throughout the challenges she has overcome.

Yep- best of the Underbelly series. The body was dumped in the Hastings River at Wauchope, was it not?

I stand corrected.... amazing tenacity by the people involved.... and pretty accurate in terms of the shit that the job throws at ya.

Hey Yoyo, idiots in any group, and unfair to generalize. Some truckies take their responsibility very seriously.

But yes, we hope that the legal system treats Les as a person; a father, a husband, a friend.

So sad. RIP

I thought it was quite balanced (pro-cyclist, if anything) and Hinch and Scaife were the odd men out, tools that they are.

Edited by -H-

I am disappointed that we try and make it "us" and "them". I am "both"" We all need to just be a patient with each other. Geez, the thing that really pisses me off about ourselves nowadays is that we don't respect each other. We are just so selfish and lazy. Respect.....

Gab, Aunty Pauline and Unlcle Alf - these are people that respect people and look after each other. They help the sick, frail, old, young - everyone they can. They have been working for the communityfor the whole of their life. Whether it is at the church, volunteer firefighting, Mens Shed, St Vincent De Paul, Boystown, John Bosco, friends of the kids that had hit hard times or my family. Nothing too hard, always a smile, hand and an ear.

Learn.

FM

PS: This help to others has never stopped. Even after Gab's mum had lost 2 of her 3 sisters in the last 12 months - my aunty and my mum. Very humble. We have a lot to learn about life.

Edited by Flanman

Derryn Hinch @HumanHeadline 2h

Be interesting to read the ‘rational’ arguments about bikes/cars after Sunday Night airs at 8.15p.m. on 7

ra·tion·al (rabreve.gifshprime.gifschwa.gif-nschwa.gifl)

adj.
1. Having or exercising the ability to reason.
2. Of sound mind; sane.
3. Consistent with or based on reason; logical: rational behavior. See Synonyms at logical.
4. Mathematics Capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers.

Cyclists are "cockroaches" does not seem to fall into the "rational" argument criteria

nor does "should be extinct"

Perhaps if Mr Hinch can make a rational argument himself????

I didn't find Mark Skaife's comments without logic.and simply goes along the lines of road users should be licensed and registered. He was at least rational.

It would though be hard to implement and policed.

Type of bike? age of cyclist (even kids can ride on the road)?

i bet you could have a reasonable conversation about it with Skaife but you'd have no chance with Hinch..

If paying a reasonable registration and even displaying a rego identifyer of some sort means that we'll get a fair go on the roads and the respect we deserve, then I'm not going to argue against it.

but who am I kidding, we'll pay the rego, show the identifyer and still get run off the road, sworn at, abused, etc etc...

Totally with you avago. I'd pay it for my young kids, everyone, just to remove that argument, which seems to be the big one used. And I agree it will solve nothing.

• Like 1

De humanising and devaluing cyclists as pests is basic psychology that appeals to the majority of the population which is why populist tabloid media appeals to the majority of the population.

It also raises the ire of the people that can think for themselves generally in the minority or the interest group being targeted thus has achieved it's goal of better oz tam ratings.

The simpletons that now have added justification and lack of empathy available to target some poor muppet on his bike today is just collateral damage.

Next week.... Elderly drivers and more hate. Whoops sorry that was last week.