O'Grady Retires

Mate there are some very, very decent human beings out there who carve a swathe of love and service out there. They don't need to quantify their character traits verbally or publicly- yet their reach and influence is profound. Thank god I have a few people like that in my life.

Yes, the drugs scandal is very disappointing and it is easy to demonise. Very poor choices always have complexities - not to justify his decision to take peds - I just hope the sport can clean itself up, and blokes like Stuie can get a fair go at forgiveness, reconciliation and redemption.

the post of the thread
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just rambling nonsense.   I don't think anyone has claimed that O'Grady or Zabel aren't 'hard men', or that there aren't cheats in other sports and other professions.   The only reason Stuey,

You know, its interesting, I see similarities in the professional peloton to the organisation I joined in the mid 80s.   As history has shown the organisation was entrenched with corruption at every

we all have choices trek. of course he had a choice. just like the bloke who chooses to walk out on his family because he's bored, or it gets a bit hard - granted some choices are very difficult but t

I just hope the sport can clean itself up, and blokes like Stuie can get a fair go at forgiveness, reconciliation and redemption.

Well said Mick - what do they say about casting the first stone

He's still an Aussie sporting legend - if we, the public put these guys up on pedestals - do we have to delight at the opportunity to rip them down - we live in a society full of people who are not 100% honest themselves :scared:

This could go to 100 pages :shock: the haters against the forgivers :scared:

This could go to 100 pages :shock: the haters against the forgivers :scared:

Blatant lying isn't an effective way to win back respect.

I've no problem with forgiveness, but I'd like O'Grady to start by telling the truth.

This "just one time" nonsense does him a disservice.

• Like 1

He needs to cough up what he knows. No one is going to ever believe that he knows nothing about anyone or anything that has gone on, especially when you factor in the teams he has ridden for - Gan, Cofidis, CSC....

So its not just about the lies he has told about himself, its also about the chastising of others who got caught out he has done, and the perpetuation of the Omerta he still carries on with to this day. He has given no indication that he is ready and willing to 'fess up everything he knows, to name names...

Why would it matter to you ?

As a kid, when I was caught doing something wrong, I was taught any punishment would be more lenient if I was honest about what I'd done. Consequently, lying isn't a trait I respect.

If he wants forgiveness, my personal opinion is that he should stop lying first. However, if he wants to continue to lie, it won't bother me at all.

Mate there are some very, very decent human beings out there who carve a swathe of love and service out there. They don't need to quantify their character traits verbally or publicly- yet their reach and influence is profound. Thank god I have a few people like that in my life.

Yes, the drugs scandal is very disappointing and it is easy to demonise. Very poor choices always have complexities - not to justify his decision to take peds - I just hope the sport can clean itself up, and blokes like Stuie can get a fair go at forgiveness, reconciliation and redemption.

Theres a time for everything. There will be a time where there is public forgiveness & reconciliation for Stuey O. That time isn't immediately after a doping offence goes public. The fans & public need their space to express their feelings & the time for that is now. O'Grady needs to listen to what the public are asking of him & be a little more convincing than he's been thus far. If O'Grady is completely open, transparent & assist anti-doping bodies etc clean up the sport I think that forgiveness & acceptance will be won back fairly quickly.

• Like 3

i just cringe/feel sorry for the guy and keep thinking :

a. why do you open your mouth when you are so plainly stupid about how its going down with the public- do you honestly think anyone believes a word you say having obviously lied multiple times?

b. wheres the professional help or CA or UCI big dudes standing there with you managing the press and not leaving you looking like a dumb arse bike rider?

these guys need to just confess in one word and then leave the talking to others- all the "redemption" attempts are dismal failures

i just cringe/feel sorry for the guy and keep thinking :

a. why do you open your mouth when you are so plainly stupid about how its going down with the public- do you honestly think anyone believes a word you say having obviously lied multiple times?

b. wheres the professional help or CA or UCI big dudes standing there with you managing the press and not leaving you looking like a dumb arse bike rider?

these guys need to just confess in one word and then leave the talking to others- all the "redemption" attempts are dismal failures

he has a lot to consider - and his personal conviction may come in stages. Obviously full realisation of what his decision means to the public, and remorse on his part isn't apparent yet, but i'm sure he will understand the ramifications of his actions, in time..

Bit rich to expect him to roll over and grass on his colleagues he has lived, trained and bled with for 20 years. Seriously, why would he do that considering he has concealed his own misdeeds for that long? There is no incentive or realistic upside for him. Keep his mouth shut, head down and serve a short suspension? and he can look forward to a long career as a DS. People are talking stripping Olympic medals, OAM etc unless the UCI offers an alternative, the Omerta will continue.

• Like 1

Came across this earlier on another site. Just jaw-dropping in its ridiculousness.

http://oldsite.uci.ch/english/news/news_pre2000/statement_20001106_supp.htm

Executive summary - we cannot test for EPO, so please stop using it. Oh yeah and HGH too. At least now they leak the details of new tests to journalists to give riders a heads up instead of an official UCI press release.

If your expecting anything from the UCI that isn't in their own interest and/or covering their own ass, then think again. They enabled and promoted this shit for the last 2 decades and will do anything to protect their future income stream.

A) not sure why anyone was so surprised by his confession. It's the reason the only people who have ever spoken out against Armstrong are the ones who have been busted themselves. Once busted they generally have nothing to lose so them make a deal.

B) why aren't they all given life time bands. Will Stuey give back everything - medals , jerseys and his GreenEdge bus license which he just received! Lol

Fark all this forgiveness lets be concerned with his feelings lovey dovey crap. Especially two days after he got popped and no doubt has seen more needles than a junky and has 5 Olympics 17 TdF a gold medal, 20 years of people fawning on him and a couple of mill in the bank. He can and should hurt a bit.

I don't expect him to roll over completely and he should not expect immediate forgiveness.

I feel more sorry for the countless guys who held their integrity and rejected the possibility of that type of career.

Edited by niseko
  • Like 2

I am once more amazed at the delight shown by the lynch mob - Armstrong was just a man who did a job very well but broke a few rules - O'Grady was another man who did a job very well and broke a few rules

The pious pricks who type their envy and hatred on a forum amaze me - why is it even an issue in their lives - it's not like any of were involved in the sport :shy:

• Like 1

I am once more amazed at the delight shown by the lynch mob - Armstrong was just a man who did a job very well but broke a few rules - O'Grady was another man who did a job very well and broke a few rules

The pious pricks who type their envy and hatred on a forum amaze me - why is it even an issue in their lives - it's not like any of were involved in the sport :shy:

agree with ya Al, why is it an issue in their lives? Think its just a remnant from the liberal party running Australia where do gooders think their opinions are better than others and can tell others what to do. Hopefully that pious prick abbott will be done over by a queenslander in Rudd and you can sleep at night again
  • Like 1

there are a few points I would like to make.

- If you are not at the top level in cycling it doesn't make enough to make a living from. Not as bad as triathlon or IM, but still not enough.

- Stuey, along with just about every other cyclist at that level that I know of, would not have a back up plan. If he didn't make it to the pro tour he would most likely be on the dole, or he would be working in a bike shop telling people how good he was.

- Most people on here have a job, athletic pastimes are recreation. You will never be faced with the choice of "get on it", or go back to club racing and make <$100 for a win a couple of times a week. If you win. I am thankful that I have never had to support myself or my family on my club race winnings.

I have been in races where there were teams from south america who stank of musk from the testosterone patches they wore under their knicks. Any money they made was out of the country and back to their families faster than (insert analogy here, I am pretty jetlagged right now). The US dollar goes a long way in some countries, and when its the choice of feeding your family or not, then it all turns a bit grey.

"Not as bad as triathlon or IM, but still not enough".

Why the distinction? I thought IM WAS triathlon?

Other that the three events being in the same order, are you suggesting ITU draft legal races are identical to IM???

Some altletes have made the transition between the two styles of racing, but a top ITU athlete will not automatically excel at IM and vice versa...

"Armstrong was just a man who did a job very well but broke a few rules" - Quote of the year right there Al.

Joh Bjelke lives!

Anti-doping bodies, Royal commissions, planning schemes, civil liberties & social standards are all just PC bullshit ay Al?

Pesky obstacles for all the Joh Schmo's who are just out there bustin heads & trying to "get the job done".

May the biggest, nastiest prick with deepest pockets win!

AL FOR CANBERRA!

Nah, he is saying IM is a triathlon. Which it is.

But same could be said with my analogy. All are bike racing... Differences are mostly the athletes are different, race scene is different, often different sponsors and different fans.

Blair was referring to income in Triathlon and IM. These are run by different organisations, have different athletes, different race calendar and both don't pay the athletes enough!

If you feel aggrieved when a pollie takes a 'fact finding mission' trip around the world just before they retire then I figure you're allowed to feel a bit ripped when guys are done for drugs. If you think anything goes as long as you don't get caught in everything then back them to the hilt.

Another 'good guy' has come out this morning and admitted he was doped to the eyeballs as well.

If you were a good guy and had a nice personality the punishments don't seem to be as severe..

Cause Lance wasn't a particularly nice person (like a lot of the most successful people in any given endeavour) he has been pilloried and punished in a more severe manner than if he had been a nice guy.

Say a nice guy from another sport with a good media profile went positive and was doing the same things. How would you judge that?

And seeing as this good guy has now come out.... and he pipped O'Grady (when he says he wasn't doped) at the post on the Champs Elysee one year for the Green Jersey the one major prize that eluded him, can Stuey now get the Vert..... ooooh its getting complicated isn't it?

Nah. Stuff em all :)

.... problem with that is.... there wont be many left... in a lot of sports, and those that are will be the mediocre ones that couldn't cut the mustard (under the you cant polish a turd law of physics) and mediocrity will be the result.... and the public will be left less entertained... until of course after getting rid of those dirty drug cheats, one of those unpolishable turds realise there are accolades, fame, money and comfort to be made out of being better than the rest of the unpolishable turds and looks for a way to get ahead of the rest of the smelly mob, given that human beings have cheats and scum at every level.

.... and hence it all starts again.

Apologies for making sense and being able to think for myself instead of swallowing the flawed view of utopia, sugar spice and all things nice that only exists for those with imaginary friends and/or other clueless individuals.

.... incidentally did you know the meaning of Utopia is 'no place' ....????

No need to apologise T. I know you're sorry ;)

I aspire for mediocrity so I say stone'em'all :)

I thought Utopia was a moon circling Jupiter, but that's Europa! The geek in me should have know 'cause it featured in '2010', the sequel.

Edited by goughy

No need to apologise T. I know you're sorry ;)

I aspire for mediocrity so I say stone'em'all :)

I thought Utopia was a moon circling Jupiter, but that's Europa! The geek in me should have know 'cause it featured in '2010', the sequel.

Too many people have their heads in Uranus. Rather not hear or consider the truth.... And rather be surrounded by 'nice' people who make them feel warm and fuzzy..... By positive but usually untruthful reinforcement and telling them lies.....

Hey it's worked for the happy clappers, PTs and god botherers so millions can't be wrong!

Just goes to show..... You can fool some of the people all of the time :(

Might add I'm lovin this shit. It's hilarious..... Few other sports in the mix would make it more amusing. At least the god of karma is at work.... Now there is one that seems to exist.... Haha :)

Well in actual fact its not the god of karma, its basic psychology.

Past behaviour will most accurately predict future behaviour.

Edited by TUv5.0

If you were a good guy and had a nice personality the punishments don't seem to be as severe..

Cause Lance wasn't a particularly nice person (like a lot of the most successful people in any given endeavour) he has been pilloried and punished in a more severe manner than if he had been a nice guy.

Yep thats life, and as they say "life isnt fair" that very same clause Lance was trying to invoke when attempting to use his wealth and influence to get out of his offences.

I suppose its a bit like pleading guilty to a lesser charge to save court costs etc. Lance was going Not Guilty all the way and got done to the fullest extent.

.... problem with that is.... there wont be many left... in a lot of sports, and those that are will be the mediocre ones that couldn't cut the mustard (under the you cant polish a turd law of physics) and mediocrity will be the result.... and the public will be left less entertained...

Not sure if you're making this argument TUv5.0 but this "no dopers mean sport will be less entertaining" idea is complete bollocks. Everybody wants fair competitive sport. They might ride a bit slower but are we barracking for the speedo? Surely closer, genuine contests are more entertaining than one-sided, "mutant" romps?

• Like 1

Erik Zabel was one of the most likeable and admired professionals in the sport. The comments regarding cycling or sport in general weighed up against the knowledge of some of the posters here is comical. But that's social media :( I feel for his son. But he will be okay.