O'Grady Retires

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just rambling nonsense.   I don't think anyone has claimed that O'Grady or Zabel aren't 'hard men', or that there aren't cheats in other sports and other professions.   The only reason Stuey,

You know, its interesting, I see similarities in the professional peloton to the organisation I joined in the mid 80s.   As history has shown the organisation was entrenched with corruption at every

we all have choices trek. of course he had a choice. just like the bloke who chooses to walk out on his family because he's bored, or it gets a bit hard - granted some choices are very difficult but t

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-senate-releases-positive-epo-cases-from-1998-tour-de-france

Positive:

Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger, Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston

Suspicious:
Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx

Like the press conference lead by the now-sacked federal ministers before the footy season which has thus far amounted to zero except record column inches in newspapers, I suspect there is an expedient political reason for such actions in France

Popped and confessed like a true member of the Omerta-abiding crew. Implicate no one give away nothing. Will keep his stripes of cred in the the farked up world that is the pro peleton, if not so much in the general community.

To be fair given you spend your whole career in that shit-fight, it's hard to dis-repect him for his actions.

I would not fancy all those 3ams worrying about finally being popped.

What's any different to the way the AFL and NRL players are responding......say nothing and attempt to negotiate deals to get out of a ban. That's an omerta right there.

Maybe if everyone just accepted Aussie athletes are no different to the rest of the world we'd be all be good.

So does he hand these back?

A very sad day - not totally unexpected though.

Can't hand back the yellow, it's hanging on my ex mother-in-law 's wall (she bought it at a charity auction)

Edit - I know he has more than one, still don't think he'll be handing anything back

Edited by -H-

He would have been better off just saying yes I did it at left it at that. He's retired nobody can force him to go into details. Trotting out a story like this just makes him look stupid ( even if he's telling the truth and most will doubt it) and undermines his achievements. Cyclists make shit pr and communications managers. Where is the support from the governing bodies or teams in this sport for the athlete as they are more to blame for the events back then? Contrast it to Baseball or AFL where the association takes on the media for the athlete and helps manage it all the way providing a favourable context and keeping them out of the camera and opening their mostly uneducated mouths. About 1/100 people will believe OGrady himself on the announcement he's made on his own.

• Like 1

I do love how accused always say 'but I only took it that one time'. Isn't that a bit like walking into the 'ex-smokers' house and being accosted by the overbearing smell of glen20. Not that I have any particular opinion on the matter as such. Just always find it funny! Yes your honor, that's the only time I ever drove a car drunk...

Haha, ok.

Lied to media after USADA - check

Lied to Vance review - ?

Lied to ASADA - ?

Sounds like greenedge knew, which makes sense.

Drug Cheat

Drug Cheat

Easy to put your hand up once you have been caught, he could have fallen on his sword with the current OGE Director

Anyone want my Hell of the North DVD?

Or shall it be filed in the fiction category?

I think the comments on other sports are irreverent. Cycling is a sham.

I do love how accused always say 'but I only took it that one time'. Isn't that a bit like walking into the 'ex-smokers' house and being accosted by the overbearing smell of glen20. Not that I have any particular opinion on the matter as such. Just always find it funny! Yes your honor, that's the only time I ever drove a car drunk...

I always use this example...." No your honour, I'm not a murderer..... I only did it that one time.....I guess you could call me a 'casual murderer'.....just one every now and then if I've been drinking....but, a murderer, me?! No your honour...."

Drug Cheat

Drug Cheat

Easy to put your hand up once you have been caught, he could have fallen on his sword with the current OGE Director

Anyone want my Hell of the North DVD?

Or shall it be filed in the fiction category?

I think the comments on other sports are irreverent. Cycling is a sham.

That's the way, throw your toys out of the cot. Oh your irreverence... haha

Tick, tick, tick....

The mills of the gods grind slowly but relentlessly.

The chickens are eventually coming home to roost...

Not Stuey, I hope Robby or any other rider we have shorten their name and added a y to the end is not the next to own up

Wait... You just don't want them to own up, or you hope they didn't take PEDs? The latter is looking like a pipe dream...

Kinda sad that O'Grady had so much time to prepare for this day yet still comes out with "I only did it for two weeks". Obviously he was not mentally prepared at all, agree with Coach@, Mr O'Grady might need some help over the coming period...

Wow... the whole world of social media erupts!

... and life goes on as normal.

Personally as Ive said a zillion times the playing field was level, zealots to the contrary. It can be argued that different people adapted in different ways, it was what it was. History cannot be changed or reinvented. Ill still ride my bike. Biggest performance enhancer for 99.9 percent of the population involves a water, fresh air and lettuce leaf diet.

As for me, I always look for whats not being reported on. Particularly in other sports where the playing field might not have been as level. Wow, could walk into a pharmacy in Switzerland in 1998 and buy EPO over the counter according to Stu. Amazing. Just one little prick and you are a cheat for life.... haha. And of course it was just that once and only that one little prick...

Edited by TUv5.0

There is a finding to come out of the testing and report that is totally relevant to current riders.

In 1998, 19 riders had a TUE out of the 109 dope tests undertaken.

In 1999, 32 riders had a TUE out of the 36 dope tests undertaken.

The difference, a cortisone test was introduced for the 1999 tour.

The inappropriate use of TUEs is still a major issue today.

Wow... the whole world of social media erupts!

... and life goes on as normal.

Personally as Ive said a zillion times the playing field was level, zealots to the contrary. It can be argued that different people adapted in different ways, it was what it was. History cannot be changed or reinvented. Ill still ride my bike. Biggest performance enhancer for 99.9 percent of the population involves a water, fresh air and lettuce leaf diet.

As for me, I always look for whats not being reported on. Particularly in other sports where the playing field might not have been as level. Wow, could walk into a pharmacy in Switzerland in 1998 and buy EPO over the counter according to Stu. Amazing. Just one little prick and you are a cheat for life.... haha. And of course it was just that once and only that one little prick...

Tell that to the few clean riders like Bassons and Scanlon.

The old brigade doing this shit meant that the young guys either got on it, or got out of the sport. And the cycle continues to this day.

First they do it to keep up, then eventually, to win. At that stage the next group of young guys are doing it to keep up. And so on. And so on.

Talking about this with some work mates this AM who are non-cycling. What would be the private enterprise equivelent to this? dodging your work hours to get paid more? Taking the dredit for someone elses work? Chuking a sickie when not sick?

Talking about this with some work mates this AM who are non-cycling. What would be the private enterprise equivelent to this? dodging your work hours to get paid more? Taking the dredit for someone elses work? Chuking a sickie when not sick?

Freezing people out who won't go along with a fraud.

Personally as Ive said a zillion times the playing field was level, zealots to the contrary. It can be argued that different people adapted in different ways

You still crap on about this when it's been shown conclusively, and indeed was WELL KNOWN in the peloton, that different people responded differently to EPO and having a poor haematocrit, which would normally count against you, was a desirable trait because you'd get more out of the doping regime. That's not a "level playing field". It's closer to an inversion.

• Like 2

More like getting speeding fine, but then lying about it for years and then finally being sprung.

Marcus Einfeld wasn't it?

There is a finding to come out of the testing and report that is totally relevant to current riders.

In 1998, 19 riders had a TUE out of the 109 dope tests undertaken.

In 1999, 32 riders had a TUE out of the 36 dope tests undertaken.

The difference, a cortisone test was introduced for the 1999 tour.

The inappropriate use of TUEs is still a major issue today.

"The inappropriate use of TUEs by those who cant afford the really good stuff is a major issue and gives the scientists and testers something to justify their existence"... there fixed that for you.... :)

The major issue is organised doping and performance enhancing programs by large sporting entities and their ability to subvert the system by changing molecules and compounds, using different methods and using hard arse political and media influence to make sure they never get caught, thus making large amounts of money for those involved, TV and media organisations and betting agencies...

But that's all in the too hard basket so the testers will concentrate on catching the punters.

My view is a lot of stuff should be legalised and medically supervised and thus stop placing the health of athletes at risk.... a lot of the drugs in a medically supervised environment would be fine..... (whoops Im paraphrasing Dr Anthony Millar from about twenty years ago... he got shit canned).

Surely people aren't stupid enough to believe in sugar spice and all things nice?

Hey its only 121 days till Santa Claus comes!

TU5.0- is your aregument akin to saying lets not worry about the people selling the odd 8-ball or ounce because they aren't the ones running the syndicate and making the serious millions? It has to be a two fold approach.

I would like to think if I were a pro athelete I wouldn't cheat... but then again I take sickies when I am not sick.

"The inappropriate use of TUEs by those who cant afford the really good stuff is a major issue and gives the scientists and testers something to justify their existence"... there fixed that for you.... :)

The major issue is organised doping and performance enhancing programs by large sporting entities and their ability to subvert the system by changing molecules and compounds, using different methods and using hard arse political and media influence to make sure they never get caught, thus making large amounts of money for those involved, TV and media organisations and betting agencies...

But that's all in the too hard basket so the testers will concentrate on catching the punters.

My view is a lot of stuff should be legalised and medically supervised and thus stop placing the health of athletes at risk.... a lot of the drugs in a medically supervised environment would be fine..... (whoops Im paraphrasing Dr Anthony Millar from about twenty years ago... he got shit canned).

Surely people aren't stupid enough to believe in sugar spice and all things nice?

Hey its only 121 days till Santa Claus comes!

Mate that Dr and one of his colleagues you keep lionising would get 16 year old boys playing Flegg or whatever onto anabolic steroids because they had some talent but weren't big enough. I don't know one bloke who went to them and didn't get put on the gear. They then knew what to get and would go and buy it at a gym in the St george area where they cranked the dose up and were mentored by players/gym-heads on how to get massive by taking more and more. There was no medical reason to give these children anabolic steroids. If you want to go down the gladiator path where we don't give a f&%k what our sports stars are doing as long as they are massive, fast, and endure, we will all be watching WWE clones who pee green protoplasm and have no kidneys.

Im not lionising him, but he did bring the debate to the fore and got slam dunked for it, successfully sweeping it under the carpet. That's worked out well hasn't it? So now organised crime and bikie gangs make all the money from the PED market to aspiring footy players, gym junkies and poseurs...

WWE guys are on drugs?

No!

Baseball and NFL guys too?

Im heartbroken.

Im not lionising him, but he did bring the debate to the fore and got slam dunked for it, successfully sweeping it under the carpet. That's worked out well hasn't it? So now organised crime and bikie gangs make all the money from the PED market to aspiring footy players, gym junkies and poseurs...

WWE guys are on drugs?

No!

Baseball and NFL guys too?

Im heartbroken.

So we make it medically supervised and centralise it, monitor athletes. East Germany made a go of that decades ago. Chinese swimmers anyone?

• Like 1