O'Grady Retires

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just rambling nonsense.   I don't think anyone has claimed that O'Grady or Zabel aren't 'hard men', or that there aren't cheats in other sports and other professions.   The only reason Stuey,

You know, its interesting, I see similarities in the professional peloton to the organisation I joined in the mid 80s.   As history has shown the organisation was entrenched with corruption at every

we all have choices trek. of course he had a choice. just like the bloke who chooses to walk out on his family because he's bored, or it gets a bit hard - granted some choices are very difficult but t

Was Jonker racing as an Aussie, or Dutch at that point?

Hmm Jonker he had one really good tour 12th (96 ) and was top ten for most of it , (previous year he pulled the pin at stage 17) ,and then , well in the following year was 60th and then faded away

Jonker was a phenominal talent, look back at the bank races etc. should have been a long term well known pro. They were all on tackle them pats 12 th was awesome.

Actually no, this is exactly the point. Without doping it would appear he was a journeyman top level pro rider and with it he was 12th. Most people would not even know whose team 12th place was in this years tour.

Anyone care to enlighten someone who was reading the paper over the weekend only to discover after about half an hour that it was a week old...

A link or an executive summary would be appreciated.

Subject to tomorrows release, this was from a thread a while back discussing this:

1998 will be the most interesting and potentially the most damaging from an Anglophile perspective.

Making the assumption that they tested the stage winners & jerseys at a minimum each day [not known but this would have been normal] then you just have to look at who filled these roles. 18 names fulfill these positions and I can think of a few that would have tested positive a bunch of times [Pantani, Cipo, Ullrich] and several who later tested positive or admitted taking EPO [Hincapie, Massi] so the really interesting tests will be Boardman & O'grady [never admitted anything], Zabel [admitted 'trying' EPO in 1996 but stopping after a week] and Bo Hamburger [who admitted doping from 1995-1997 but not further].

The names most likely to fill the list are:

Bo Hamburger Chris Boardman Christophe Rinero Daniele Nardello Erik Zabel Jacky Durand Ján Svorada Jan Ullrich Jens Heppner Jeroen Blijlevens Léon van Bon Magnus Bäckstedt Marco Pantani Mario Cipollini Rodolfo Massi Stefano Zanini Stuart O'Grady Tom Steels

For me the most interesting names are:

Chris Boardman, Magnus Bäckstedt, Jens Voigt & Stuart O'Grady

Subject to tomorrows release, this was from a thread a while back discussing this:

1998 will be the most interesting and potentially the most damaging from an Anglophile perspective.

Making the assumption that they tested the stage winners & jerseys at a minimum each day [not known but this would have been normal] then you just have to look at who filled these roles. 18 names fulfill these positions and I can think of a few that would have tested positive a bunch of times [Pantani, Cipo, Ullrich] and several who later tested positive or admitted taking EPO [Hincapie, Massi] so the really interesting tests will be Boardman & O'grady [never admitted anything], Zabel [admitted 'trying' EPO in 1996 but stopping after a week] and Bo Hamburger [who admitted doping from 1995-1997 but not further].

Bo Hamburger Chris Boardman Christophe Rinero Daniele Nardello Erik Zabel Jacky Durand Ján Svorada Jan Ullrich Jens Heppner Jeroen Blijlevens Léon van Bon Magnus Bäckstedt Marco Pantani Mario Cipollini Rodolfo Massi Stefano Zanini Stuart O'Grady Tom Steels

Damn!

fluro

If you are correct PP then what do we make of this? - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ogrady-doping-was-never-an-option

O'Grady was also interviewed by ASADA.

Actually no, this is exactly the point. Without doping it would appear he was a journeyman top level pro rider and with it he was 12th. Most people would not even know whose team 12th place was in this years tour.

Duffy's Cartel, we are talking about the tipping comp right?

I dont agree, it was not easy for Aussies back then to even get a ride overseas let alone be allowed to race for themselves, thats why he went the Dutch way. I cant remember exactly how he got the 12th but wasnt there a break he got in and got a heap of time ? He also won the TDU, Route de Sud, Dutch nationals and top 5 in many other big races.

He also rode with Once before Rabo so he would have known the program long before the 12th in the tour.

Yes, I think it's fair to say that the scale of bullying, intimidation, and corruption (eg. paying off the ICU to cover up tests and provide tip-offs, etc) that Lance and his team were involved in was far beyond what other riders and teams had previously managed.

Seriously, I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Lance was the only one who doped!

Yep that's right he should have taken the French or Spanish possie and copped em bigger backhanders and been a nice guy instead. Even better if he had married a French chick. Would have all been sweet.

Or ride a Scott and wanted to be free to ride a Cervelo again

He will probably continue to ride a Scott (I think he will continue working for Greenedge). Robbie & Stuey will be travelling the world & on the piss together.

I'm tipping he will be back riding a Wilier if he has free range to choose what bike to ride.

Le Monde reported yesterday that...

Pantani

Ullrich

Bobby Julich

Laurent Jalabert

Jacky Durand

Laurent Desbiens

will all be named as positive in the report. They don't say (well my translation skills think they don't say) that that's the complete list of positives.

Le Monde reported yesterday that...PantaniUllrichBobby JulichLaurent JalabertJacky DurandLaurent Desbienswill all be named as positive in the report. They don't say (well my translation skills think they don't say) that that's the complete list of positives.

You read correctly, they are silent on the completeness of that list. From the tone of the article (frog-centric) I'd say it's not the full list. I love the coy "according to our information" .

Yes, I think it's fair to say that the scale of bullying, intimidation, and corruption (eg. paying off the ICU to cover up tests and provide tip-offs, etc) that Lance and his team were involved in was far beyond what other riders and teams had previously managed.

Seriously, I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Lance was the only one who doped!

We're still only talking about the users...the bankrollers, sponsors, suppliers etcetera still remain untouched.

Then why is he any worse than others ?

He's more culpable. He went beyond just doping, he pimped his team etc. etc. which you already know. See above, but there are still many more out there that have been let off. I'd still like to know the source of his drugs. It always seem to come down to a single gun theory when it is pretty obvious there was a wide network involved.

Yep that's right he should have taken the French or Spanish possie and copped em bigger backhanders and been a nice guy instead. Even better if he had married a French chick. Would have all been sweet.

That wouldn't have been enough, I heard he was given a choice. He was told to piss off in 2005 and never come back or there would be consequences. He retired but the he couldn't leave well enough alone. He ignored the winds of change.

Not much yet, lots of talk in French about the report.

Sounds like it might be just the codes with test results and not the names.

Bet there's plenty of people happy about that

Thanks for the update

Cheers

Ip

The inquiry was about improving anti-doping across all sports, not just about who doped at the 98/99 Tour. France introduced longitudinal testing after the Festina affair in '98, ten years before the bio-passport was introduced, and not just for cyclists.

Edited by Donncha

Finished. No names, just the list of tests and whether they were positive or not.

It's been online for a while here: PDF

The names will come out, but the senate wants everyone to focus on the report first, not the names.

Actually sounds like a good report from the translated tweets I saw.

But I bet only cycling gets shit canned

Dunno. It's an 800-page document making recommendations on how to improve French anti-doping.

60 proposals, covering 7 key areas: knowledge, prevention, testing, analysis, sanctions, penalties and cooperation.

I'm reading 'sanctions' as sporting sanctions and 'penalties' as criminal penalties.

Quotes/paraphrase:

"There is doping in all sports"

"We cannot fight what we do not know"

...authorities (police, judiciary & sporting) are pretty hopeless in cooperating

http://www.lavenir.net/sports/cnt/dmf20130724_00339518

Doubts about Axel Merckx

Four Belgians are also on the list: Axel Merckx, 10th in the final standings, Tom Steels, who won four stages Farazijn Peter, and Paul Van Hyfte 19th, 64th. Merckx would be part of the list of contentious cases.

Other riders are on the list of those who drove under the influence of EPO: Laurent Jalabert, Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger, Marco Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabbio Sacchi Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Desbiens, Manuel Beltran, Kevin Livingston.

Stéphane Mandard @StephaneMandard 7m

@albertocontador @festinaboy Y los Españoles son : Marcos Serrano, Manuel Beltran et Abraham Olano

And the Spanish are: Marcos Serrano, Manuel Beltran et Abraham Olano

Stéphane Mandard @StephaneMandard 1h

@festinaboy @preboisguillaum sur la liste noire, il y a aussi beaucoup d'Italiens : Cipollini, Taffi et Sacchi

blacklisted, there are also many Italians: Cipollini, Taffi and Sacchi