• 2 weeks later...

Had a few at an RSL last night which had an Oktoberfest theme - they did a tasting paddle, but it was all mainstream beers.

Which Wicked Elf did you have roxii? I ran out of the stock I picked up at the IM some time ago, but Dan Murphys stocks them, so will have to restock after my Fat Yak runs out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just back from some travel, so travel notes on the beer.

Kingfisher in India is not good - and the other beers on offer are just as bad; brewed locally so I'm guessing a water problem (surprise, surprise).

Tiger in Singapore hasn't improved, even when blagged off a flight attendant prior to take off. Visited Ji Biru (Japanese Craft Beer) and had some really good ales there, including some good US Pale Ale styles (an XPA went down well in the heat and humidity), although the Nipponia lager from Hitachino Nest wasn't a lager, and seemed more of a winter style beer.

333 in Vietnam didn't grab me (ba, ba, ba as they call it), there was a lot of Biere Larue drunk though:

BeerDaNang.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice mhvh, can creep up on you, and you only know it did that creeping come morning.

Found the Wig and Pen in Canberra, good range of beers including some Brit Real Ales. Recommend a visit if you're heading to the capital. Have to do that swim, ride, run thing in the morning, so only a few to help me sleep.

Still enjoying my weekly runs with the Pomingalarna Stubby Appreciation Society.

Last night we had our annual Handicap Christmas Run where you leave at whatever time you deem necessary to complete the hilly 9km course as close to 7.00pm as possible (no watches, phones or sun dials are allowed). There ended up being about 40 of us running in the 38 degree heat. The Prawns, Beer and Pizza were very much appreciated at the end, and a great night was had by all.

Beer of choice was either a Coopers Pale Ale or a Lions Brew Lowenbrau (there might have even been another choice as well but I didn't sample it). A Dan Murphy's opened in town last week so our local beer choices have just increased dramatically.

• 1 month later...

I liked it.

There was a point and I don't know when as it wasn't a beer I drank regularly, that the taste changed. Not for the better in my taste buds case.

Not an alcho ginger beer fan but the bottlo at the tabourie tucker box, he's name was Paul, use to give me a free stubby of their ginger beer every time I bought a case of the beer. Was ok too.

Stayed at the crown plaza at newie once, think its the crown plaza, in the honeysuckle development right on the bend where the road turns about 10 years ago, harbour on the other side, the hotel is on the sparke helmore sprint run course, anyway, they had it on tap, very big three days of work and play.

Not an alcho ginger beer fan but the bottlo at the tabourie tucker box, he's name was Paul, use to give me a free stubby of their ginger beer every time I bought a case of the beer. Was ok too.

Stayed at the crown plaza at newie once, think its the crown plaza, in the honeysuckle development right on the bend where the road turns about 10 years ago, harbour on the other side, the hotel is on the sparke helmore sprint run course, anyway, they had it on tap, very big three days of work and play.

And funny story about the tucker box, I rocked up there after I started going to gym and doing tris and he goes, I saw you at Huski but the bloke was too fit and thin and running by and I thought anyone that can drink like you can, doesn't do triathlon so it can't have been you. Lol.... Good bloke.

• 3 months later...

BrewDog brew some cracking beer, but this response to a smack on the wrists in relation to some advertising made me smile:

"On behalf of BrewDog PLC and its 14,691 individual shareholders, I would like to issue a formal apology to the Portman Group for not giving a s*** about today’s ruling. Indeed, we are sorry for never giving a s*** about anything the Portman Group has to say, and treating all of its statements with callous indifference and nonchalance.” [James Watt]

I judged at the Asian Beer Awards with James, to say he really knows his stuff about beer, would be an understatement!

Full Story

Wait a minute.

You JUDGED at some beer awards?

Damn Jerry!

LOL - yes mate, I have the dubious honour of being able to call myself a 'professional drinker', as I've been paid to do it - that was for some tasting on TV back in Wales, had an audience of 10 sheep, a sheepdog and my Mam! Must admin, I'd started at the pub at midday, and then went live on air at around 6pm, cannot remember a thing I said!

I was invited to judge at the Asia Beer Awards as an amateur, to provide some balance to the professional judges (Australia - Head Brewer for Little Creatures; NZ - NZ Hops; UK - Brew Dog, Japan - Kinshashi and Hitachino if memory serves me right, and the US - Anderson Valley and a Seattle brewery Head Brewers, plus Archipelago and Paulaner Head Brewers from Singapore). Don't do it anymore, as I've moved to Oz, but it was a great experience - the experience being the realization of how little I know compared to the pros!

Sierra Nevada ; if you like hops this is the shizzle. I am a massive fan

Good call, enjoy this every time I head to San Francisco.

Try the Torpedo IPA.

Not tried this Greg, will try and hunt it down. One of my favourite IPAs from that area is Lagunitas, so will have to compare and see if Torpedo will change my mind!

I am enjoying another while keeping track of Port mhvh. I picked them up from a Dan Murphys.

Not tried Hop Thief will add it to the list. Really enjoyed some Hasslehop the other day, very complex and hoppy, highly recommend that one, nice big bottle too!

LOL - yes mate, I have the dubious honour of being able to call myself a 'professional drinker', as I've been paid to do it - ...........

I've also been paid to drink beer. One of the survey companies gave me $300 to turn up 4 nights, try 12 small glasses of beer each night and answer some questions on them. Then they gave me 2 cartons to take home at the end of it.

Tough work, but somebody has to do it. :)

Nice one Ex-H, bet those free cartons tasted sweet!

Sitting on a plane heading to India, about to taxi. Kingfisher should also be paying me to drink their beer...blech...There'll be few options though given the protectionist taxes on imported beer/wine/spirits.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey ten pints (or anyone else) have you tried Pliney the younger. Have been reading about it and would like to buy some. Seems to only be available at one bottle shop in wa though

The name sounded familiar, so after a quick search found out why. I've tried Pliney the Elder once and really enjoyed it - I was catching-up with a mate and his family in San Francisco, and he bought it specially for me to try. Haven't tried Pliney the Younger though, but after reading about, you've whet my taste buds mhvh! 10.25%, and very limited supply - if you can get hold of it, go for it and let us know what it is was like!

Found a brew-pub in Delhi, off there later (after a wee it of training of course, Cairns is approaching too fast)!

• 1 month later...

Due to wifey removing beer from my beer fridge in order to create room for a birthday cake - apparently six-packs don't cut it for a 4 year old turning 5 - my Fat Yaks warmed-up. However, there was a blessing in disguise - warm Fat Yak, thumbs-up! I could have been back at my local in Wales with a Real Ale.

Due to wifey removing beer from my beer fridge in order to create room for a birthday cake - apparently six-packs don't cut it for a 4 year old turning 5 - my Fat Yaks warmed-up. However, there was a blessing in disguise - warm Fat Yak, thumbs-up! I could have been back at my local in Wales with a Real Ale.

no-hell-no.gif

• Like 1

Slam a pickled egg in a packet of Walkers and you're home LOL

:lol: @Roman

workaholics-no.gif