I am wandering if anyone has done this before?

Does this sell out within minutes? Was planning to make this part of a honeymoon so really don't want to miss it.

Any other tips info would be great.

Yep, done every one since the 2004 inaugural race.

Prior to 2011, the race would not sell out until April or May. Then in 2012, the Lance-effect was applied and it sold out earlier.

This year in mid-January they posted the participant list and there were 1,700 athletes registered, which was way up from previous years for the same date. Before end of January the entries closed at 2000. Many, many Hawaii locals left it too late, and missed out.

My advice is always sign up before Dec 31 - slightly cheaper race fees too. For your given situation, sign up earlier, but I do not think it goes into rego mode until August or September.

It is a great race. You shall enjoy it and it will punish you.

I race with 808 front (and 1080 rear) @ 67.5 kg and the wind is fine. I do know where the "problems" areas are - local experience counts.

Been damn hot here in Hawaii (Honolulu for me) for the last week or so....Kona in early June is a scorcher.

May have to have a Trannies Honu get together with quite a few members racing.

Just went for a 60min jog from Waikiki (staying 1 night here) to get used to the heat. Went toward the airport through Ala Moana and must say I was very surprised how derelict it got very quickly... Running always gives you the chance to explore and this one definitely gave an insight into how different it is only 15min down the road by foot. Definitely not what you think of when you think Hawaii... Was quite worrying tbh...

Edited by lachie94
Just went for a 60min jog from Waikiki (staying 1 night here) to get used to the heat. Went toward the airport through Ala Moana and must say I was very surprised how derelict it got very quickly... Running always gives you the chance to explore and this one definitely gave an insight into how different it is only 15min down the road by foot. Definitely not what you think of when you think Hawaii... Was quite worrying tbh...

Just wait until you get to kona

I love the place but it's not the sunset strip ( that's why I love it, I hate the gold coast , Vegas , waikiki places)

Just make sure you go out and see all the island and ocean it's an amazing natural beauty

Cheers

Ip

Don't you watch Dog the Bounty Hunter??

its mean out there bra....

And the number of homeless in Waikiki and all the beach parks. The otherside of paradise?

We couldn't believe how many homeless people there were on the main steeets and beachs in downtown Waikiki

The authorities didn't seem to be doing anything to be trying to help them " move on"

What are your thoughts on this being a local hairy?

Cheers

Ip

Yep, I avoid Waikiki as much as possible.

But it is epidemic in Hawaii. It has long been speculated that other mainland cities with chronic homeless problem provide free one way flights to Hawaii. Warm weather all year round.

My wife and I were a Barnes and Noble bookstore/cafe last Sunday evening in Kahala - upmarket area. Wife went to the bathroom and a homeless women was effectively taking a bath in the wash basin. In the cafe a homeless guy (had not showered for many many weeks) was taking a break.

Sad situation. Difficult to resolve, as the homeless shelters find it difficult to keep members in their shelters, often due to mental disease/s. Police seldom get involved, unless there is a crime.

Yep, I avoid Waikiki as much as possible.

But it is epidemic in Hawaii. It has long been speculated that other mainland cities with chronic homeless problem provide free one way flights to Hawaii. Warm weather all year round.

My wife and I were a Barnes and Noble bookstore/cafe last Sunday evening in Kahala - upmarket area. Wife went to the bathroom and a homeless women was effectively taking a bath in the wash basin. In the cafe a homeless guy (had not showered for many many weeks) was taking a break.

Sad situation. Difficult to resolve, as the homeless shelters find it difficult to keep members in their shelters, often due to mental disease/s. Police seldom get involved, unless there is a crime.

this is all very sad

problem is this is just going to get worse

when we where there we commented about the free or cheap flights to hawaii from the mainland for a warm place to sleep (on the path or park or road or wereever they feel like)

cheers

IP

Homeless in Hawaii is a whole lot better than homeless in Boston or Chicago in winter - we have a huge problem in Australia as well - my wife works in that area for Qld Health :shy:

Yeah we noticed the in Waikiki as well. Vegas is the same but probably only 3min off the strip it can turn bad.

yes vegas is nothing outside the strip. very depressing when you go 2 blocks outside the strip. but the strip - OMG awesome!! apart from those bloody mexians handing out XXX cards every 50 metres!!!

Not Hawaii but I was amazed at the increase in the number of homeless in Santa Barbara compared to the last time I was there (11yrs ago). There is a fairly big veteran's home there, so I wondered if there was a connection (maybe they are only allowed to stay so long?).

yes vegas is nothing outside the strip. very depressing when you go 2 blocks outside the strip. but the strip - OMG awesome!! apart from those bloody mexians handing out XXX cards every 50 metres!!!

That shocked me a bit. 11yrs ago the whole card thing was a bit annoying, but it was mainly for shows and stuff. 2yrs ago when Mrs FP and I went, all the cards were for fast delivered women and the people handing out the cards all had fluro shirts on with 'Hot Girls for You' printed on them or similar, and in the daytime as well. Thought it was a bit much for families tbh.

Its awesome hey

I watched them for a good hour or so & was amazed at how many different languages they could speak.

We got a bit lost looking for the outlet shop to the North of the strip & came across a tent city of homeless ppl. Stopped at the lights & had one guy approach the car pointing towards the sun & getting more & more animated towards us. Doors locked & Windows up as soon as he got with 5m of the car we took off into the red light to get away from him. Two days later we worked out he was telling us we could turn right on a red light & he wasn't pointing to the sun but the red lights... opps

• Like 1

Belinda Granger gets the Female win. Good to see there is still some speed in her legs.

Belinda has been around for ages and seems to race a lot. She must be a very tough individual.

GRANGER, Justin AUS 00:29:33 02:36:13 01:29:44 04:39:39 11 24

GRANGER, Belinda AUS 00:29:54 02:36:26 01:33:58 04:44:36 1 31

Amazing performance by the Grangers. Just saying.

Well that sucked!!! ****ing tough day out there and a tough course..

3rd age grouper out of the water (10th overall)

Rode 2.27 (off the bike 1st in 18-24 and 13th overall) which I was happy with given the conditions

"Run" was hardly a run! Body completely shut down leading to a walk/shuffle... Sat down on the golf course 4km in to try and get rid of cramps and diziness and the only reason I decided to finish was due to some encouragement from Bree Wee. Got passed 18km in for 1st in 18-24 (had a 15min lead off the bike) and ended up 3rd in age group...

• Like 1

Just read his blog, he is into the growth and protection stuff, seems his mind wasn't on it today and his central governor projected pain to his lower back. Back to the guru.

Wtf does that mean in non witch doctor speak ? For those of us viewing at home?

Can anyone tell me approx how much slower they think this course is in comprising to eg Busselton, Shepp (faster courses)

It appears to me approx 15mins slower...

Anyone done this race and a faster course in AUS to give their comparison?

Well that sucked!!! ****ing tough day out there and a tough course..

3rd age grouper out of the water (10th overall)

Rode 2.27 (off the bike 1st in 18-24 and 13th overall) which I was happy with given the conditions

"Run" was hardly a run! Body completely shut down leading to a walk/shuffle... Sat down on the golf course 4km in to try and get rid of cramps and diziness and the only reason I decided to finish was due to some encouragement from Bree Wee. Got passed 18km in for 1st in 18-24 (had a 15min lead off the bike) and ended up 3rd in age group...

Lachie - nice swim. Congrats. I was the athlete shouting to you to pick it upon the run out on the "road to no-where" (mile 9) you were in the pink truckers hat, right? You were not in a happy place when I saw you.

The winds were weird on the bike - from the NE, and coming back from Hawi towards Kawaihae we had strong head wind on the downhills. Made for a tough second half of the bike.

The run is a tough course - always hot. Love it!

Tough swim this year - current on the last leg back to shore, with zero sighting due to sun, but had a 6' manta ray swim right under me, so that always brings a smile to me.

About 6 min slower this year, for me. Hope that was the conditions, rather than my older age :-)

• Like 2