Wetsuit neck rash

I am sure this is a popular topic and perhaps discussed previously (I haven't been able to find any) but I would like to know what people do to prevent a neck rash from a triathlon wetsuit during an IM event. I do most of my swim training without a wetsuit and have only done two IM, but each time I end up with a rash from my Orca S3.

Any feedback and or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

bodyglide, sportstape or harden up and wear the temp scar with pride.

athletes who see the neck scar know what you have been up to, its like a finishers shirt.

I used bodyglide but still got a rash. I only swam in the wetsuit once prior to race day so I was pretty happy to come out with just a minor neck rash. It didn't annoy me during the swim and only when I put sunscreen on during the run.

I have heard that fitting the wetsuit properly on race day (ie get the Blueseventy people to fit & do it up) can minimise it. This has worked for me previously with other suits.

normally my current suit doesnt do it. its happened before and i usually just applied lube of some sort beforehand.

but recently, the zipper strap (which has the velcro hooks on it) somehow managed to find it way jammed in behind the collar during the swim. at first i thought it was the usual wetsuit rash beginning - but after a few minutes the pain from it started to become unbearable. i stopped to loosen my collar when i found the strap was lodged in there wearing a hole in my neck - had a massive sore on my neck for the next week after that.

Edited by louey

I put olive oil around my neck - usually works but have a fair sort of rash acros the back of my neck - bit annoying when I wake up in the morning and my hair is stuck to it - one of the disadvantages of having a mullet (I didn't think there were any up to now) :shy:

I asked a total stranger to do mine up - I think he was working for the Taliban - he slipped a bit of sandpaper in there :scared:

I use bodyglide. Rub it on my neck and then rub a heap onto the suit neckline making sure that I coat the joins and stitching. Still occasionally get a small rash but Sunday I had nothing..

I asked a total stranger to do mine up - I think he was working for the Taliban - he slipped a bit of sandpaper in there :scared:

Me to. Must have been the same bloke. Didn't do the neck strap up right and it started to rub shortly after starting. My fault for not checking, but ended up being the only rash I ended up with.

keep your head down! seriously looking straight up is the best way to grind your neck into the zipper. you need to learn to roll on your side more to get your head out to sight instead of straight up-- its a lot faster too. i think this is one reason why a lot of good pool swimmers go slow once they have to pick up their head to see swim cans-it ruins their nice stroke

people who learned to swim in the surf naturally tend to get this/swim with their head held a bit higher and constantly get told off by the pure swim coaches- but then they already have the hang of it on race day

same thing with the whole high elbows-that will grind the rubber into your neck and shoulders too- good wetty swimmers throw their hands/entry a bit wider and the arm comes more straight over in a wetty- again these same people get told off all the time when compared to the pretty people

i used to get a complex until i worked out i was outswimming all the people held up as the ones to copy ...........but thats a whole different story

Edited by Jimmy C

this is what happened with me. i was struggling with it, and a nice wife of another competitor offered to help :/

If you get rash then check the fit and put heaps of paw paw/oil/wet suit cream on

As suits are generic fits and not customrub is not uncommon

A good cream after the race is also essential for recovery

Bodyglide. There is one with SPF30+ if you're interested. Any of the oil options mean that you are setting out with no sun protection and probably won't get enough coverage in T1 to stop you getting burned on the bike.

Plus make sure that the tape is right down securely velcroed under the flap, not poking out at the top. I was clumsy one race this season and I had a huge weal from it scraping. Also some caps catch the little bits of hair on the nape of the neck but you guys don't need to worry about that too much except for AP with his mullet.

At least the mullet is covering the scabs now - I could have leprosy on the back of the neck and no one would know :smile1:

Multipurpose this stuff....good around the nether regions on the bike or long, hot runs too.

Even if its only benefit was to get the phrase 'nether regions' onto transitions, it has served its purpose

I used bodyglide and it helped a lot, but sometimes sand would stick to it on rough days making it worse. Now days I don't get neck rash anymore. I think mostly due to different technique, or maybe my neck decided to HTFU. I should add that I do still put on BG out of habit, but have swum without it and without a problem.

Anyone here wear a rashie?

I wear mine from surfing/sailing days and it makes a huge difference around the neck and under the arms.

Me to Turtle,bought a new wettie a week before and had no probs during the race.Cheers Powdo

I get it bad, probably because I'm between wetsuit sizes and don't get a good fit.

Zinc-Oxide tape - stick it on the night before to help the stick. I then cover this with vas on race day to add some waterproofing. I'm experimenting with 3M Micropore tape and then zinc-oxide on top to see if there's better stick.

Not bothered about meeting the 'HTFU' criteria, am bothered about leaking fluids onto pillows (wifey goes mental) and shirts (looks bad at meetings).

. you need to learn to roll on your side more to get your head out to sight instead of straight up-- its a lot faster too.

I cant picture how to roll on your side more to sight forwards? Can you please elaborate?

Anyone here wear a rashie?

I wear mine from surfing/sailing days and it makes a huge difference around the neck and under the arms.

I haven't worn one in a triathlon, but did a 5km swim event and was worried about chafing, wore the rashie and had no dramas. Only thought of it on the morning of the race so didn't even try it in training first :shock:

I haven't worn one in a triathlon, but did a 5km swim event and was worried about chafing, wore the rashie and had no dramas. Only thought of it on the morning of the race so didn't even try it in training first :shock:

I don't think it's particularly risky though - a rashies sole purpose in life is to be worn under a wetsuit to prevent chafing...... not a huge stretch of the imagination to think they might work as designed. But then, I've worn one for decades under a wettie in other pursuits, so maybe I'm just really familiar with them.

I currently wear one of those BigW mambo ones. Bright red, with the huge farting dog on the front. Easy to spot me heading into T1 with my wetty half down!! :D